The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last year was no fluke - Markstrom is elite

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

11 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

This team post Kirk McLean really was a goalie graveyard.

Raycroft

Weekes

Snow

Potvin

Hedberg

Irbe

Skudra

There's probably more... But there was a time

Don’t get suckered into Burke’s BS.  Raycroft played very well for us.  Irbe put up some very good numbers for the Canes after Burke kicked him to the curb.  Even Potvin had a good season and a half or so with the Kings after leaving the Canucks.  Weeks was a nobody before and after the Canucks.  Another overhyped “goalie of the future” by Burke.

Even mediocre Snow played for like five seasons in the NHL after he left the Canucks.   

Not every goalie prospect is going to hit.  Most don’t.  But the Canucks record to this position isn’t all that bad when you take that into context.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Raycroft

Weekes

Snow

Potvin

Hedberg

Irbe

Skudra

half those goalies were backups but you're not wrong

Of course he's Elite..  last season he pulled some crazy saves I've never seen him do before so part of his success truly rests on Clark but shared success is still success for the whole team and we need every player to be on their game as such so we have a chance to do a lot better than .500 hockey.

Now when our D starts playing like it did  for long stints in the 2nd period of last night.. we're in the post season but it's awesome knowing they're capable of it, that was surprising and fun to watch! I was like "whoa seriously???" 

That second period looked especially good so hope Greener keeps pushing to get them playing like that all the time we'd stand a great chance of making the playoffs

Markstrom would have been rated even better had our D turn over the puck last year so much that led to goals no goalie could stop. When we were actually in the playoff picture for awhile last year before fading away was because of Markstrom, a lesser goalie in net, we would have been dead last... 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Raycroft

Weekes

Snow

Potvin

Hedberg

Irbe

Skudra

To be fair though, that was more of a Burkie problem than a goalie 'grave yard' one :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 3

I have been picking on Markstrom for ages, and for good reason. But he's finally won me over. He looks like he's finally figured it all out. His compete level is nuts.

Need a larger sample size before I commit to calling him elite but he's getting there. He's winning games by himself. He's going to be so valuable picking up points in shootouts, like we saw last night.

Lead us to the playoffs Marky.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

TBay has Hedman.  Their D in pretty average without him, as evidenced in their playoff losses.  

Our D is quite good.  We have Edler, Myers, Hughes, Tanev, Benn, Stecher as our top six.  Hughes is a phenom, who makes our D all the better.

Marky is playing great too.  Ian Clarke is a genius. 

I agree Ian Clarke is a phenomenal goalie coach. Best in the league. He is showing through Markstrom. Look what he did with Bobrovsky.

Edited by #Canucks
  • Cheers 2

To be fair, it took him long enough.  

He was rated as the top goalie outside of the NHL.... only to reach mediocrity for years (playing for the Panthers and a rapidly declining Canucks can do that).  

That being said, he's 30 now... with the exception of like Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Lundqvist (all HHOF goalies or will be)... goalies rarely get better after this stage.  Maybe he may have like 3-4 good years in him before he will need to be regulated to be a backup or retire.  The Canucks will need to decide whether it's Demko's time to shine in the next couple of seasons or maybe really start thinking about DiPietro as the next "goalie of the future".

• Haha 1

He IS elite, I feel like that's established (at least here, around these parts).  Thing is, some will interpret that as "perfect" and set the bar there.  But no goaltender is/can be.

So, when he struggles, give him breathing room and allow for him to regroup without throwing him under the bus.  We have short memories here at times.  What have you done for me lately often only goes back 60 minutes or so.

Marky's confidence is through the roof but I feel that at least is in part due to him being relaxed and having fun.  He loves this game and it shows. 

I have all the confidence in the world in him and that shootout reminded me of why.  

• Cheers 2