The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last year was no fluke - Markstrom is elite

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

59 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

To be fair, it took him long enough.  

He was rated as the top goalie outside of the NHL.... only to reach mediocrity for years (playing for the Panthers and a rapidly declining Canucks can do that).  

That being said, he's 30 now... with the exception of like Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Lundqvist (all HHOF goalies or will be)... goalies rarely get better after this stage.  Maybe he may have like 3-4 good years in him before he will need to be regulated to be a backup or retire.  The Canucks will need to decide whether it's Demko's time to shine in the next couple of seasons or maybe really start thinking about DiPietro as the next "goalie of the future".

I honestly feel that goaltenders have to really mature into the role...it's a huge weight to be "the guy" standing back there on his own in the last line of stopping goals from being scored.  In a glaring way.

So it did take him long enough but I feel that's just part of the position?  "Newer" goaltenders can have flashes of brilliance but it's when it's all falling apart that it can unravel and takes a special strength of mind and character to stand in that role.  To learn how to manage it.

But I do agree that the best before date comes quickly too...as the agility starts to go with age.

• Cheers 1

Yeah, he's a fkin beauty EH

I've been saying this since he became a Canuck - he's going to be something special.

And I'm glad that myself and others stuck with him through his development, and are now enjoying the fruits of his labor.

Now hopefully he can avoid a major groin/knee injury! (*knock on wood*)

Plus, he's a huge and agile goalie, and you wanna talk about a Swedish Death Stare?

bxwkz1w2atx21.jpg

Edited by BrockBoester
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

Yeah, he's a fkin beauty EH

I've been saying this since he became a Canuck - he's going to be something special.

And I'm glad that myself and others stuck with him through his development, and are now enjoying the fruits of his labor.

Now hopefully he can avoid a major groin/knee injury! (*knock on wood*)

Plus, he's a huge and agile goalie, and you wanna talk about a Swedish Death Stare?

bxwkz1w2atx21.jpg

That’s a badass picture!

16 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Was surprised on the Flyers 1st goal tonite..thought he lost his net a little(extra short side open). Otherwise he's been lights-out. Also like his mental-preparation. Guys very competitive, & just seems always dialed-in.

I'd like them to sign him 5 yrs/25 mill(maybe about a 10 team NTC, last few yrs). Perhaps trade Demko next season(before ED)

Demko is going to be a star. Sign Marky but leave him open to trade, he's 29 right now might have a few more prime years left in him

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I’d go 5 million for ‘x’ number of years with Markstrom.    A lot of it will also depend on how Demko does this year but I could definitely see Demko being used as future trade bait.

Now Hindostan

I usually shake my head at the things you say

But I have to say, I totally agree with you

And I agree, we need to see how Demko is going to look 

Being he is only 23 and Markstrom is 30 this season

People on here are way too short sighted

Again, I agree with you, but lets take a look at Demko first

Over at least 30 to 40 games worth

IF and I say IF, Demko is similar in stats, we trade Marky for sure

But certainly this is the year to make that evaluation

If Marky's stats are way better than Demko's…...

Well, then Benning has to do some serious thinking......

And wa la, we have another goalie controversy 

Edited by janisahockeynut

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Buzzsaw is an extremely opportunistic poster, i'm surprised he didn't include a poll with this.

Fair enough. I guess hes farming upvotes like I used to when I posted the blind referee meme after a loss on the first reply of the PGT. 

Starting to look like a 5mil+ goalie. I still need to see more. 4 games hardly makes a season but he has been lights out so far. He could make Hellebuyck money next season if he keeps posting these numbers. May even throw his hat into the Vezina race, but he has a long way before either of those things become a reality.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Davathor said:

Naw I'll just wait for 2 more losses and you start screaming for trades, firings, and new line combos.

Why would you if it makes it hard to like the fanbase? Go cheer for literally anyone else, this fanbase is the only one that does that.

Just now, Bitter Melon said:

Why would you if it makes it hard to like the fanbase? Go cheer for literally anyone else, this fanbase is the only one that does that.

I cheer for a team, not a fanbase. Get over yourself. I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

Just now, Davathor said:

I cheer for a team, not a fanbase. Get over yourself. I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

Oh nO DavAThor DOesN't LikE ME!!1!

Do you not see the irony in whining about people whining, then telling someone to "Get over themselves" while in the same breath condemning them as if your scorn is somehow damning? Take your own advice. 

• Haha 1

I guess we'll have to see how Demko plays this season, that will help JB make a decision with regards to Marky. No disrespect for Marky love this guy but I'm thinking of the team and moving forward and if Demko is as advertised we don't need to put ourselves in a bad goalie situation like we did with Luongo\Schneider deal.