The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last year was no fluke - Markstrom is elite

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

2 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

I guess we'll have to see how Demko plays this season, that will help JB make a decision with regards to Marky. No disrespect for Marky love this guy but I'm thinking of the team and moving forward and if Demko is as advertised we don't need to put ourselves in a bad goalie situation like we did with Luongo\Schneider deal.

There is no bad situation when a team has two top level goaltenders.

Management can trade one of them and get a nice return.

The only reason the Luongo/Schneider situation was bad was because Roberto had a contract which was too pricey and too longterm to allow a trade except in certain special circumstances.

Unless he turns into the best goalie in the league this year, Benning is not going to sign Markstrom for a longterm deal... it'll be for 3-4 years or he'll be traded.  And I doubt there will be a no-trade clause if he is signed.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Oh nO DavAThor DOesN't LikE ME!!1!

Do you not see the irony in whining about people whining, then telling someone to "Get over themselves" while in the same breath condemning them as if your scorn is somehow damning? Take your own advice. 

Go cheer for someone eLsE

It's great to see Marky reaching his potential.  He has been very good.

Terrible timing for the expansion draft as we have 2 goalies good enough to steal.

Demko may still be a bit of an unknown to the league so maybe you protect Marky and expose Demko?

It would be awful to lose him and have him become an elite goalie.

It will be up to Demko to make it a hard decision for management.

Hope he gets 20 games this year.

• Upvote 1

Marky is getting a bit long in the tooth.......    but I have yet to see Demko play at that level . I think we really need a chance to evaluate Demko properly before making any Marky Moves.... because hes turned into one heck of a goalie.

Edited by Snapshot85
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

There is no bad situation when a team has two top level goaltenders.

Management can trade one of them and get a nice return.

The only reason the Luongo/Schneider situation was bad was because Roberto had a contract which was too pricey and too longterm to allow a trade except in certain special circumstances.

Unless he turns into the best goalie in the league this year, Benning is not going to sign Markstrom for a longterm deal... it'll be for 3-4 years or he'll be traded.  And I doubt there will be a no-trade clause if he is signed.

Ya that sounds about right, 3-4 years  and no no trade so we have flexibility

9 hours ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Well at this rate Seattle is going to get markstrom or demko

If Marky get a high salary the cap is gonna hurt Seattle too much. So protect Demko and a high cap on Marky saves the day. 

To have two great goolies is excellent if we want to get somewhere. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2019 at 12:58 AM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Jacob Markstrom is picking up right where he left off.

9.26 Save Percentage

2.23 GAA

He is right in the zone... just like the last half of last year.

So much confidence... using his size, using his glove skills, using his agility.

Way quicker laterally than you'd expect for a guy who is 6'6"... but he is that fast.

And his technical skills are right on.... positioning, knowing where the net is, coming out to cut down the angles.

Everything about his game right now is top class NHL... #9 in the league right now... and that on a team which is only breaking even statistically and which has allowed him to be shelled.

I think he will lead this team this year... Thatcher Demko will find it hard to get a nose in... and that is nothing to be ashamed of.

Nice dilemma the Canucks are in again.  B)

The fact that Markstrom has been this good this early is amazing, speaks to the genuine skill level. I would not

say hes elite yet but he is walking that path. IMO Playoffs+RegSeason records year after year are what

get you that elite status.

On 10/13/2019 at 11:23 AM, nuckin_futz said:

I have been picking on Markstrom for ages, and for good reason. But he's finally won me over. He looks like he's finally figured it all out. His compete level is nuts.

Need a larger sample size before I commit to calling him elite but he's getting there. He's winning games by himself. He's going to be so valuable picking up points in shootouts, like we saw last night.

Lead us to the playoffs Marky.

Whats amazing about Markus Marky Markelton is that his puck handling has steadily improved, hes approaching

Turco levels of ability when handling the puck.

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2019 at 11:58 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Jacob Markstrom is picking up right where he left off.

9.26 Save Percentage

2.23 GAA

He is right in the zone... just like the last half of last year.

So much confidence... using his size, using his glove skills, using his agility.

Way quicker laterally than you'd expect for a guy who is 6'6"... but he is that fast.

And his technical skills are right on.... positioning, knowing where the net is, coming out to cut down the angles.

Everything about his game right now is top class NHL... #9 in the league right now... and that on a team which is only breaking even statistically and which has allowed him to be shelled.

I think he will lead this team this year... Thatcher Demko will find it hard to get a nose in... and that is nothing to be ashamed of.

Nice dilemma the Canucks are in again.  B)

An interesting problem for the Canucks next year and the year after too: no team can afford to keep 2 number 1 goalies.  A case can be made for moving either one if Demko continues to progress and Markstrom stays at this level.  Marky isn't old for a goalie either: easy to imagine 4 or 5 more really good years for him.  I think Demko is better than Schneider was, while Marky is not necessarily below Lu's level...  (Just thinking of our last goalie dilemma, lol) 

I have not felt this way in a long time - complete confidence in the goaltending such that, I don't even worry about it before or during the game anymore - I just assume we are going to get solid goaltending and that we will win or lose based on the execution of the rest of the team.

That is a nice feeling to have, and has been extremely rare over my 30 years of Canuck fandom.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

The fact that Markstrom has been this good this early is amazing, speaks to the genuine skill level. I would not

say hes elite yet but he is walking that path. IMO Playoffs+RegSeason records year after year are what

get you that elite status.

And winning when it really counts. Which can be for Team Sweden in his case.  He may be the best Swedish goalie right now.

On 10/13/2019 at 10:23 AM, nuckin_futz said:

I have been picking on Markstrom for ages, and for good reason. But he's finally won me over. He looks like he's finally figured it all out. His compete level is nuts.

Need a larger sample size before I commit to calling him elite but he's getting there. He's winning games by himself. He's going to be so valuable picking up points in shootouts, like we saw last night.

Lead us to the playoffs Marky.

I remember not too long ago here when Nilsson was rated about equal, then Markstrom kind of took over, just was better.  But for a year at least it was a battle to see who would be the number 1. Although I do remember that Markstrom got a better contract earlier, which can be an indicator in how management saw him.

Another great game for him. He is legit. There's no more feeling that he's going to let in some early goals. He's giving our team loads of confidence, which is going to pay dividends for us this season. I'm super happy for him, because I had written him off and didn't expect the sudden click for him. Ian Clarke has obviously done wonders for Marky's game. This is great news for us that he's arrived.

• Cheers 1