The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last year was no fluke - Markstrom is elite

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

MikeyD is going to play a huge part on how JB approaches the rising goalie battle in Van.  If MD shows he might actually be an NHL starter I think they will move Demko for a high price. Demko is going to be a steady starter who could possibly become a star, he's going to bring back a blue chip prospect, a 1st round or a young already developed player ready to break out........or some combination of the above.  That leaves Marky as the no doubt starter for at least 5 years of prime goaltending to support a good team in front of him.  It's also pretty good timing for MD and he'd get to learn from a great goaltender.

However, if it looks like MD isn't going to be a legit NHL starter, then I think they move Marky to a contender for a very large return.  The market for JM wouldn't be as wide as it woukd be for Demko, but I think he'd get a higher return.  Thatch then gets to take the team he grew up with on his back.

Either way, there's going to be a payday coming for Van and it'll be before the ED.

• Cheers 3

On 10/13/2019 at 12:21 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

This team post Kirk McLean really was a goalie graveyard.

Raycroft

Weekes

Snow

Potvin

Hedberg

Irbe

Skudra

There's probably more... But there was a time

Don’t forget back-up Bob...probably my favourite.  Yeah there was probably more, seemed like every time I made it over for a game it was someone new, and even when Cloutier arrived it still felt like goaltending wasn’t our strong suit...one of the reasons I cheered when we traded for Luongo.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, stawns said:

MikeyD is going to play a huge part on how JB approaches the rising goalie battle in Van.  If MD shows he might actually be an NHL starter I think they will move Demko for a high price. Demko is going to be a steady starter who could possibly become a star, he's going to bring back a blue chip prospect, a 1st round or a young already developed player ready to break out........or some combination of the above.  That leaves Marky as the no doubt starter for at least 5 years of prime goaltending to support a good team in front of him.  It's also pretty good timing for MD and he'd get to learn from a great goaltender.

However, if it looks like MD isn't going to be a legit NHL starter, then I think they move Marky to a contender for a very large return.  The market for JM wouldn't be as wide as it woukd be for Demko, but I think he'd get a higher return.  Thatch then gets to take the team he grew up with on his back.

Either way, there's going to be a payday coming for Van and it'll be before the ED.

That’s the hope anyways.  MAF was shopped and he was on a decent cap hit and coming off a couple cups inwhich one of them at least he played a big part in.   And there were no takers so the team just left him out as their sacrifice - not that they had much choice it looked like a good move at the time .... he’s sure made them look silly for it since (Fleury).  Murray predictably fell down to earth - Boeser ha ha...

If Vancouver really is looking to flip one of these guys they’d be smart to be working the phones early - this year even.   Also JM could end up as a good trade chip this TDL if a playoff team(s) number one is out or say underperforming (Jones in SJ for example).   As far as the return goes I think expectations should be tempered.  Schneider holds the record for the highest first rounder ever - and as far as picks go you’d be hard pressed to find another first rounder ever given for a goalie any time - and none at the TDL as far as I can tell.   A  second rounder for established goalies is the best I could find.   Lack was probably not far off Demko when he was traded .920ish stats. 

Thing is if we are in the playoffs and Markstrom is a big reason for it  - will JB trade him?   Maybe.  But a second rounder is historically the best we could hope for if it’s a pick..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

That’s the hope anyways.  MAF was shopped and he was on a decent cap hit and coming off a couple cups inwhich one of them at least he played a big part in.   And there were no takers so the team just left him out as their sacrifice - not that they had much choice it looked like a good move at the time .... he’s sure made them look silly for it since (Fleury).  Murray predictably fell down to earth - Boeser ha ha...

If Vancouver really is looking to flip one of these guys they’d be smart to be working the phones early - this year even.   Also JM could end up as a good trade chip this TDL if a playoff team(s) number one is out or say underperforming (Jones in SJ for example).   As far as the return goes I think expectations should be tempered.  Schneider holds the record for the highest first rounder ever - and as far as picks go you’d be hard pressed to find another first rounder ever given for a goalie any time - and none at the TDL as far as I can tell.   A  second rounder for established goalies is the best I could find.   Lack was probably not far off Demko when he was traded .920ish stats. 

Thing is if we are in the playoffs and Markstrom is a big reason for it  - will JB trade him?   Maybe.  But a second rounder is historically the best we could hope for if it’s a pick..

Pittsburgh actually gave Vegas a 2nd round pick to take Fleury - they had to clear cap space and Fleury had to agree to waive his NMC.  

19 hours ago, stawns said:

While the idea is great Stawns, it could set the rebuild back a good bit if Demko can't do it...

if MD doesn't fit the billing, still ways to go, and they trade Marky, the whole rebuild hangs on whether Demko can sustain as a legit no.1

It's a massive risk to leave it in the hands of a beck up... 

In saying that, he may be ok, but very early to tell...

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, spook007 said:

While the idea is great Stawns, it could set the rebuild back a good bit if Demko can't do it...

if MD doesn't fit the billing, still ways to go, and they trade Marky, the whole rebuild hangs on whether Demko can sustain as a legit no.1

It's a massive risk to leave it in the hands of a beck up... 

In saying that, he may be ok, but very early to tell...

It is, but it doesn't have to be done this season either.......they have some time to let itself work out.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Don’t forget back-up Bob...probably my favourite.  Yeah there was probably more, seemed like every time I made it over for a game it was someone new, and even when Cloutier arrived it still felt like goaltending wasn’t our strong suit...one of the reasons I cheered when we traded for Luongo.

This teams time as a strong playoff team started and ended with Luongo.

Luongo and the Sedins made this team look way better than it was.

Edited by 5Fivehole0

Markstrom is now legit imo, and I'll admit I was very skeptical years ago. I can't remember who it was I think Rush, quoted me about a year ago, reminding me of Markstroms solid play to the 2nd half of the 17-18 season, then he proved it last year again, but still wanted to make sure due to the first shot of the game thing he occasionally had, but he is a legit #1 imo.

On 10/13/2019 at 8:03 AM, #Canucks said:

I do think if Markstrom had an elite defence like Tampa bay he would be in the running for the Vezina. Some People on CDC might disagree but I don’t care. He’s been that good for a year now.

Obviously the Canucks would need to have the victories to go with it for him, but I get what you're saying, he plays like that now no question, and to be honest the only reason the Canucks stayed in so many games last year or held onto the lead last year was because of Markstroms play. And I would also bet the Canucks were outshot more in games last year then they outshot the other team, my gut says they probably were. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Obviously the Canucks would need to have the victories to go with it for him, but I get what you're saying, he plays like that now no question, and to be honest the only reason the Canucks stayed in so many games last year or held onto the lead last year was because of Markstroms play. And I would also bet the Canucks were outshot more in games last year then they outshot the other team, my gut says they probably were. 

I agree 100%

• Cheers 1