The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wings @ Nucks - Oct 15 2019 - 7pm PST

Rate this topic

xereau

Updated the Canucks' roster in the OP.

Gaudette out doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It wasn't him that whiffed on a dozen high quality chances.  Then again, he didn't get into position for a dozen hq chances either.

Benning needs to make a trade and break the log jam, but unfortunately, I don't see that coming until Roussel is back.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That's kind of disappointing to see. For an optional skate, and only half the team committing especially when chemistry hasn't really been there? Has there been one player on the team that can say they're even at quarter-season form yet? Not one player has had a great game every game, closest to coming to that would be Markstrom. 

Hope the crowd really gives Bulldog the appreciation he earned here tonight.

Nice to see Motte back and healthy - he's a key component of Beagle's shutdown line - they are great together.

I think the fact Gaudette is out as opposed to Schalller (or Leivo) likely means that Virtanen may continue to see some spot duty up the lineup with Horvat (and Sutter...).  I like that setup - Green is dangling the odd opportunity and it seems to keep Virtanen engaged/encouraged.  I like his fit with Horvat's game as well.

I've liked Gaudette's game - perhaps a bit more than Leivo's thus far (as an option to step up in the lineup) - but Leivo despite some stick-squeezing continues to work hard and get to the right areas - just hasn't been able to finish.  I might have thought Schaller would be the guy to concede his spot to Motte, but it looks like they want a stronger shutdown/pk presence in the lineup.

Anyhow - I love what Motte brings - people might question who comes out of the lineup - but him going in is a no-brainer imo - perhaps we could avoid playing guys like Motte and Gaudette off of each other in circumstances like this - that is not really the point.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I was wondering too lol.  Like all of our lines are 20th or worse in the league?  Like how?  However I have to disagree Larkin is sick.  I feel like Bo is criminally underrated at #45 centre like WTF?  He’s always snubbed as a top 100 player in the league.  I’d say he should be about 80 and definitely ahead of Monahan 

I agree with your last statement 100%. 

I’m intrigued to see the Monny/Bo comparison become a talking point, with Bo having more media attention as the captain now. Maybe he’ll finally get some recognition.

You can’t argue against Bo being way more responsible and taking a heavier load in terms of deployment. But people love Monny’s goals (no matter if an elite playmaker is on his wing). I think Bo is more valuable for sure. 

15 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

moving Leivo out of the top 6 is a start

how does Gaudette end up out of the lineup?

Move Sutter and Leivo to line 4 , put Gaudette back on line 3

dump Schaller

Green is an idiot  

It's player management more than anything. I said this in a post a while back about why Gaudette wasn't on the opening night roster. Kid is new to being a full time NHL player. You want to keep him engaged, hungry, rested. Taking a night off here and there is not going to hurt him, only going to fuel him for next game. Remember when they sat Boeser like 6 games into the season 2 years ago? It's ok, it will all be ok

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Schmutzhaken said:

I agree with your last statement 100%. 

I’m intrigued to see the Monny/Bo comparison become a talking point, with Bo having more media attention as the captain now. Maybe he’ll finally get some recognition.

You can’t argue against Bo being way more responsible and taking a heavier load in terms of deployment. But people love Monny’s goals (no matter if an elite playmaker is on his wing). I think Bo is more valuable for sure. 

But to say Monohan isn't the better player is a lie. He's definitely the better forward. Whether you'd prefer one or the other on your team is a different story but Monohan has been good the past few seasons. Bo's only had one decent season. Hopefully he continues to trend the way he is but I don't think you can argue a guy that was over a ppg (even if it was with Gudreau) last season isn't better than somebody who put up over 20 points less. 

34 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

That's kind of disappointing to see. For an optional skate, and only half the team committing especially when chemistry hasn't really been there? Has there been one player on the team that can say they're even at quarter-season form yet? Not one player has had a great game every game, closest to coming to that would be Markstrom. 

This is what I will be watching for going forward with this new core. Letting off the gas as in the 3rd period with the Flyers and this type of commitment. They are literally getting paid millions of dollars to be the best they can be. This is where leadership and character are critical in building a successful team. I sure hope this improves in the very near future. Captain Bo get these guys motivated.