The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wings @ Nucks - Oct 15 2019 - 7pm PST

Rate this topic

xereau

11 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Need a big game points wise from Bo and Petey. If each of the top two lines can average a goal a game throughout the season, we have a good chance of winning every night. It’s a tall task but 25 goals for each top six guy is doable. 

Simultaneous career years for Miller, Pearson, Leivo and/or Ferland? Unlikely, but I like your thinking

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

If Monahan is shut down, he isn’t effective at all. He only got those points because he get spoon fed the puck in front of the net by Johnny Gaudreau. In the past few seasons when he wasn’t with Gaudreau, his offence take a big dip. Gaudreau is the driver of that lines offence. 

Another example one should look at is Lindholm. It is not coincidence Lindholm’s offence take a big leap and had a career year the moment he was put on a line with Gaudreau.

If you take Monahan off the Gaudreau line he is going to have a dip of at least 20 points.

Meanwhile, if you look at Bo Horvat. He has never had any consistent elite winger on his wing throughout his career. Last year defines how good he was. He played with 30 different pairs of wingers last season and still put up 61 points. The majority of his wingers are not your typical skilled wingers.

Monahan to me is one of the most overrated players in the league.

He was embarrasing in last year's playoffs, cowardly or injured?

24 minutes ago, xereau said:

This sounds like Elias to me.

I read the article at lunch.  Bure doesn't give away much.  Very generic answers, nothing controversial.  He doesn't seem upset or regret not winning a Stanley Cup.  Rightfully so, he said he played very well in the '94 run and he thought the Rangers were the better team.  He thought the team played really well and a bunch of guys stepped up in the play-offs.  His favourite moment in Vancouver was a move  he tried in game 2 vs the Leafs but he did score because the puck bounced over his stick.

The most surprising thing was he's really good friends with Mike Keenan and he helped Iron Mike get the job in Florida.  Mike stayed at his house in Florida for awhile while he was getting the job in Florida.  He's also "really good friends with Francesco Aquilini"  and will try to attend some of the 50 anniversary events but he didn't commit to anything in particular. 

He told a funny story about Gino coming to visit him in Russia, Gino wanted to surprise him so nobody met Gino at the airport.  Gino took a cab to the KGB building and started knocking on the door.  “I’m Gino Odjick, I’m here to see Pavel!” "One hour later they brought him to me. That was pretty funny."

Edited by Cali Canuck
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Simultaneous career years for Miller, Pearson, Leivo and/or Ferland? Unlikely, but I like your thinking

If those four can score 80 between them and Bo, Brock and Petey bury 90. We should be in good shape come end of March early April. Lots of ifs but it can be done. 

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Loved the Bulldog..can imagine the exchange...

Stevie Y: I don'know Jim..is this Biega a hard worker?

JB: Is the POPE a Catholic?!

& thus, a deal was realized

Got a chance to meet Biega after the morning skate. He’s a really great guy to talk to.

I told him that he his going to be missed by us Canuck diehards.

I sure hope that the fans at tonight’s game show him some love. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

38 minutes ago, xereau said:

This sounds like Elias to me.

Sure miss this guy, The Russian Rocket! He had multiple good chances to score every game. A break away or two every game. The things he tried were crazy even if they didn't work. This guy knew how to entertain the fans and I wish others after him knew this as well . Petey does seem to have the same desire. For those who missed Bure's era, you are in for a treat with Petey! 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

But to say Monohan isn't the better player is a lie. He's definitely the better forward. Whether you'd prefer one or the other on your team is a different story but Monohan has been good the past few seasons. Bo's only had one decent season. Hopefully he continues to trend the way he is but I don't think you can argue a guy that was over a ppg (even if it was with Gudreau) last season isn't better than somebody who put up over 20 points less. 

Fair, I’m deffs not saying Monahan is a joke, just that Bo’s all around game and faceoffs abilities and defensive play are beyond Monny’s. And I think there’s tremendous value there. Like more value than a one-dimensional trigger-man. Especially at the C position. I am no analyst or expert, but after living in Calgary for the past 7 years and listening to Flames radio every morning and afternoon (following the team, not cheering, booo), I have heard that a lot of people see Sean M as a one dimensional forward, and it frustrates the hell out of them. Like if he’s not scoring in bunches like he tends to, he’s not doing much else. When Horvat isn’t scoring, he’s been busy owning the faceoff dot and handling really tough matchups (lack of support due to injuries). That’s just my point of view. I think it all comes down to what you put value in. 

My stance is that if Bo had a 100pt winger and Monny didn’t then Bo’s for sure by far the better player, because of those previously mentioned abilities. However, I guess you could also argue that Bo wouldn’t have matured in those other areas had he been playing with an elite winger/been deployed as part of a premier scoring line. They also have different play styles. Bo is a more a rush player, Monny finds open space and doesn’t miss. Sort of an apples to oranges comparison I guess, but still a conversation that I’ve always been interested in. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Would be like the 2015 “Find a Way” Flames. Most 3rd period comebacks, career years for a multitude of middle 6 players. I’d be okay with an overachievement year.