The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Pod vs The Hog (Discussion)

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

No Matter where this thread goes.... boy we knocked it out of the park in this years draft.

So I have been comparing Hoglander and Podkolzin's stars to these 2019-2020 campaigns... and I have to say from what I see Hoglander has way more offensive upside ..3pts in 7 games SHL,  where it seems that Podkolzin has been struggling offensively in the KHL 0 pts in 10 games. Now Podkolzin plays a much more physical, defensivly responsible 200ft game but he seems to be struggling to make points. He is doing better when sent down to the VHL, and is owning the MHL ..  but those 2 leagues are quite inferior to the SHL  IMO.

From what I can see from my personal research... the KHL and SHL are quite comparable in competition...although the KHL has more higher ceiling players... the general consensus is that the SHL is slightly stronger on average.

We will have to wait and see how these 2 amazing players seasons progress I know its early...

But kinda thinking Hoglander might be one of the best steals of the last 5 years. 

What do you all think ? Have you watched any games ?

Cheers

Also.... 6th round pick Arthurs Silvos..will bump Dipetro in 2 years...

Edited by Snapshot85
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Snapshot85 said:

No Matter where this thread goes.... boy we knocked it out of the park in this years draft.

So I have been comparing Hoglander and Podkolzin's stars to these 2019-2020 campaigns... and I have to say from what I see Hoglander has way more offensive upside ..3pts in 7 games SHL,  where it seems that Podkolzin has been struggling offensively in the KHL 0 pts in 10 games. Now Podkolzin plays a much more physical, defensivly responsible 200ft game but he seems to be struggling to make points. He is doing better when sent down to the VHL, and is owning the MHL ..  but those 2 leagues are quite inferior to the SHL  IMO.

From what I can see from my personal research... the KHL and SHL are quite comparable in competition...although the KHL has more higher ceiling players... the general consensus is that the SHL is slightly stronger on average.

We will have to wait and see how these 2 amazing players seasons progress I know its early...

But kinda thinking Hoglander might be one of the best steals of the last 5 years. 

Cheers

Dude, Pods is the type of player that the Canucks need,  tough, gritty, and skilled! He hasn't played enough since younger players have to work their asses off to play enough minutes and he's only just getting started.

Been keeping close tabs on Pods and I'm liking what I see, this kid will be really good, if not great! 

We need more puck hounds that do whatever it takes to get a puck.. 

• Upvote 1

Podz is going to be a beast for us in the future. He's putting up huge points in the KHL but a lot of that is due to his deployment. He's been playing sheltered 4th line minutes(sometime less than 5 mins a game) for a coach that is known for not playing teenagers. He's playing with 4th line grinders. The fact that hes even cracking the lineup for his coach is impressive. When he starts getting 1st/2nd line minutes and decent line-mates I expect the points to come.

Also excited for the Hog. Little disappointed about his suspension, I doubt he meant to take the guys head off but he was the smaller guy looking to defend himself along the boards. 

Edited by Spitfire_Spiky

I think Hoglander will be better, and arguably the steal of the draft. He's a fitness freak playing against men and holding his own. I doubt his timeline is far off either, as his skill set doesn't need much refinement. 

I'm becoming concerned about Podkolzkin's development. Being bounced around 3 different leagues can't possibly be good for him. Get him over here and into Utica as soon as we can. 

We can wait on both though, as our wings are chock full with guys who have contract length. 

• Cheers 2

I'm leaning towards Hoglander having more high-scoring potential for sure. Right now, I'm envisioning Podkolzin to end up as a middle six forward who peaks as a solid 2nd line guy who can be very physical. I'm thinking a prime of 20-25 goals and 50-55 points while being an intimidating physical presence. Think Hansen with an additional 15 pounds of weight.

Very different players and too early to tell how they will go with their individual talents.  Perhaps Hog will be a top 6 energy guy who can score goals, while Pod will be a top 9 power forward; maybe even top 6. 

Pod may end up being the type of player this team has needed badly over the past dozen years (or more).  If he does, he will be a very significant player for our team.

They are both very promising prospects and I am immensely excited and looking forward to their coming over to this side of the pond.

• Upvote 1

Benning's drafting has been really good for the most part, and I'm glad Hog and Pod are on the same team (VAN)

Got his feet wet as GM, and learned:

2014 - Virtanen, Demko, Tryamkin

2015 - Boeser, Gaudette

2016 - Juolevi, Lockwood

Knocked it out of the park:

2017 - Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, DiPietro, Rathbone

2018 - Hughes, Woo, Madden, Utunen

2019 - Podkolzin, Hoglander, Focht, Silovs

• Upvote 2

Podz hasn’t been struggling to produce in the KHL, he hasn’t had much playing time. Out of 8 or so games, he’s had less than 3 minutes played in 5 of them. However, every single shift, he’s the hardest working guy on the ice. My theory is the coach is building up his hunger, so he tears it up in the V and MHL, and eventually the KHL. 

His lack of points isn’t an issue imo. We’ve seen top offensive and defensive ability in each game in each league, and his effort never wavers. His floor is a heavyweight Hansen, and his absolute ceiling is a bigger Bure. I see him getting somewhere in the middle, say Mark Stone. Big aspirations, yes, but I think he can achieve. Especially with his work ethic. He’s already much faster than last year. 

Hoglander is producing, yes, but the SHL isn’t at the same level as the KHL. I see Podz being the better player for us. 

Okay there's one thing that needs to be discussed that I don't see many people know about. Podkolzin isn't close to making the NHL whatsoever at this point. He needs seasoning and he needs to learn the game at a higher level. His talent is through the roof. He has the skills to be good, there's no doubt about that. Where there's concern for him however, is he could potentially turn into a Virtanen type player. He lacks hockey IQ, sometimes gets tunneled in, and doesn't fully understand the timing necessary to make the best plays. He rushes the game far too much. If he can learn that, he'll be alright. With that said, that's a tough ask. IQ usually isn't something you can teach to a lot of players because you have to be an absolute sponge to really apply it. 

He has the possibility of being a truly elite first line player, or he has the possibility of being an elite third line player. All of this depends on whether he can figure out when to shoot the puck vs cycle vs dumping the puck in, etc. He has a fantastic shot but he forces bad shots on net far too often. He'll sometimes make some overly safe plays when an opportunity to make a more challenging but higher skilled play is available as well. Those are his two biggest issues he needs to work on. 

But he has that absolute doggedness that everybody wants on their team. He'll definitely make the NHL, it's just a matter of what role will he have.

And at the end of the day, having no time on the ice on the fourth line to put up points is never going to be the way to showcase any skillset. Don't invest too much into the point totals yet, but he's still a ways away from earning top line minutes, even at the KHL level. 

11 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Bump into him at training camp but that's about it.  

No way.... do a little research. Guys a Stud. He was a absolute steal. He has a .920 save % as a 17 year . Hes currently ranked #3 ohl goalie with a .933% at 18 years old... and hes still learning the north American game. 

Lastly As good as Diperto is...  unless he gains some mass and height hes facing a uphill battle as he approaches the nhl.... small guys struggle to butterfly properly... it's just a fact. (Not saying it cant be done)

The ohl save % is over a small sample size so will wait and see ... but with his MHL background and successful world JR... where he dragged team Latvia through the mud for thier highest finish ever I believe it was 4th... I think Dipetro better stay sharp because this kid is a beast.

Edited by Snapshot85
  • Upvote 1

Too hard to compare. All I really know is Podkolzin isn't really being played as much. Seems to be quite minimal and likely with non-scoring linemates in non-scoring situations. IE not on the PP. I have zero clue what Hoglander's deployment is. But he has been pretty sound so far. I think they'd both compliment each other's game really well if they reach their potentials, they'd even likely help each other reach their full potentials. Both have that competitive edge. Both are dogs. Couple of Dogs, Hogs and Podz. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Too hard to compare. All I really know is Podkolzin isn't really being played as much. Seems to be quite minimal and likely with non-scoring linemates in non-scoring situations. IE not on the PP. I have zero clue what Hoglander's deployment is. But he has been pretty sound so far. I think they'd both compliment each other's game really well if they reach their potentials, they'd even likely help each other reach their full potentials. Both have that competitive edge. Both are dogs. Couple of Dogs, Hogs and Podz. 

That's what I love the most about canucks draft picks last 2 years..... thier compete level is through the roof.... warriors!

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:17 PM, The 5th Line said:

You can't just name the players we recently drafted and say we "knocked it out of the park" 

How have we knocked it out of the park with any of those guys outside of the first round?  They haven't proven anything.  Lind and Gadjovich just had terrible first seasons as pros.  Focht, Silovs, Madden, Utenen, Woo, Rathbone are prospects that pretty much every team has right now.  They are all long shots.  

In 6 years Benning has failed to have a single player outside of the first round come in and make an impact.  

Demko never plays and Gaudette can't find a role for regular icetime.

I'm confused about the bolded. What teams have guys that have been discussed as potential 1st rounders in a redraft? Theres a few out there but not every team has them.

This is Demko's first real and full season as a pro and backup. He will get the games, just be patient. Gaudette cant find a role because there aren't many guys he can replace on this team at this stage. He's a great player and will be a regular for us in the future. However, the way the team has been playing, can you blame them for keeping Gaudette out of the lineup? Did you see that 4th line yesterday against Detroit? Where would you like Gaudette to play? We have Baertschi who is a proven 40 point guy sitting in Utica. There is enough room for 12 forwards on this team. Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Ferland, and Pearson are definitely not going anywhere. There is no reason for Gaudette to play 4th line minutes or take on the role that a 4th line is expected to play. That leaves 3 spots...who you sending down? Sutter? Not likely! Virtanen? Not likely either! Leivo? Possibly! You can continue to swap Leivo and Gaudette as long as you want but eventually Roussel is coming back. If Schaller, Motte, and Beagle play anything like they did against Detroit for the next couple games, I would fully expect Leivo and Gaudette to remain out of the lineup.

So Gaudette, Demko, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Rathbone, Madden, Woo, DiPietro, Juolevi (wait and see), Trymakin, Podk, Hoglander is a great prospect pool and definite wins for the Canucks. You don't have to draft 1st line players with every pick to consider drafting successful.

Edited by Seannnp

On 10/15/2019 at 4:17 AM, Snapshot85 said:

Cheers

IDK if the SHL and KHL are as equal as you say.  The main difference in terms of prospect development is the rigid and strict way the KHL treats its younger players.  

Whereas the SHL tends to promote their younger player into bigger roles.  

I prefer the SHL method, but the KHL method could bring equally good results.  That being said, IMO both players would be dominating in the CHL.  

On 10/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, Snapshot85 said:

No way.... do a little research. Guys a Stud. He was a absolute steal. He has a .920 save % as a 17 year . Hes currently ranked #3 ohl goalie with a .933% at 18 years old... and hes still learning the north American game. 

Lastly As good as Diperto is...  unless he gains some mass and height hes facing a uphill battle as he approaches the nhl.... small guys struggle to butterfly properly... it's just a fact. (Not saying it cant be done)

The ohl save % is over a small sample size so will wait and see ... but with his MHL background and successful world JR... where he dragged team Latvia through the mud for thier highest finish ever I believe it was 4th... I think Dipetro better stay sharp because this kid is a beast.

Wait.. you actually research before you say something? Impressive.. most here just spew things they "heard" and think it has to be true without actually spending any time checking for facts or b.s.

Good on ya! Plus one!

9 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

IDK if the SHL and KHL are as equal as you say.  The main difference in terms of prospect development is the rigid and strict way the KHL treats its younger players.  

Whereas the SHL tends to promote their younger player into bigger roles.  

I prefer the SHL method, but the KHL method could bring equally good results.  That being said, IMO both players would be dominating in the CHL.  

It's bullshi_ to say Pods is struggling when he hasn't got enough ice time to even try to produce points the way Hogs has so it's kind of silly to say that kind of thing in the first place.. meh it is the CDC though.. not much surprises me here anymore.. especially how TJ Miller wasn't worth a conditional 1st pick, yeahhhhhh ok...  Glad their eating crow now but they probably won't learn anything from that either. Same ole ____ , different day.

10 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

It's bullshi_ to say Pods is struggling when he hasn't got enough ice time to even try to produce points the way Hogs has so it's kind of silly to say that kind of thing in the first place.. meh it is the CDC though.. not much surprises me here anymore.. especially how TJ Miller wasn't worth a conditional 1st pick, yeahhhhhh ok...  Glad their eating crow now but they probably won't learn anything from that either. Same ole ____ , different day.

I didn't say Podz is struggling, but I don't think you were referring to me.  

Yeah, JT Miller was such a horrible trade lol.  Not only does he have great chemistry with Bo, but even better chemistry with Ep40 and Brock.  Fantastic down low and a great net presence.  Added bonuses, he can play center and has had multiple 82 game seasons.  

What's his point projections looking like now?  

When this team has some time to gel, its going to be hard to handle.