The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet 650 cuts staff - Rick Dhaliwal, Jawn Jang & two production-side staffers

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Western Red said:

Walker has grown on me, I was just wondering about his placement. Sounds like he's staying at the 4pm slot and doing pregames.

As per Rintoul and Walker on radio the new lineups are

5:30-9am - Perry Solkowski, James Cybulski

9-12pm - Scott Rintoul and Jamie Dodd

12-1pm (Canucks central) - Scott Rintoul and Bik Nizzar

1-4pm - Dan Riccio and Randip Janda

4-7pm - Andrew Walker and Satir Shah.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, and it sounds like Rintoul is moving to a 9AM show...that's not good for Walker IMO, he needs a Rintoul.

Walker is alright if, as you say, he has a proper counterpart.  That he hates the Canucks is well-documented, as is the admitted fact he took the job purely for the money.  I just find it hard to get past those two realities when he's on -- it's an underlying stink that you know is always there.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I was a regular listener to the sportsnet 650 radio program, and all four gentlemen where great ambassadors of the show and the program.

Sorta sad they let go of Jawn Jang the lone Chinese Canadian guy on the radio, call me stupid to loyalty, but when you have a program that represents culturally you, it definitely is a lure for people to listen into.  

He's Korean, not chinese.  I liked JJ.  I prefer him over Cybulski or Riccio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

you could be right. they just rubbed me the wrong way. i didn’t find them funny at all. maybe i’m getting senile.

I’m with you Joe.....

last thing I want to listen to first thing in the morning is Cybulski and Solkowski.

Edited by redhdlois
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, redhdlois said:

I’m with you Joe.....

last thing I want to listen to first thing in the morning is Cybulski and Solkowski.

Yup.  That’s three of us.  Dhaliwal was the only reason I listened to the 650 morning show.  It’s going to be 1040 in the mornings now.  The decision makers at 650 are not too smart.  

Rick now sells Mazdas, at Midway Mazda. It seems like he's two people. The twitter version that is thoughtful and insightful. The Radio version that is an arrogant blowhard. Bet Rick gets hired by TSN. He'd be perfect, he is a perfect corporate shill. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  That’s three of us.  Dhaliwal was the only reason I listened to the 650 morning show.  It’s going to be 1040 in the mornings now.  The decision makers at 650 are not too smart.  

C-ball is the real reason why I can't listen to the morning show.  Dhaliwal was the voice of reason.  He was mis-cast as the clown.....better straight man.  He's a really good source for info.

The real reason I don't like the station is the hosts do all the talking and are pretty much spit-balling hour after hour.  How about some guests who actually know something?  I get it, guests cost money.  The station is going down.

The big hole in the line up for me was the loss of Alex Auld.  I really miss him at noon hour.  He almost made a show hosted by Sat Shah listenable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

you could be right. they just rubbed me the wrong way. i didn’t find them funny at all. maybe i’m getting senile.

Actually Joe, I think it's just the opposite.  Not only are they not funny, they're dim.  What mystifies me is how C-Ball took Don Taylors TV host job

• Upvote 1

I honestly thought Jawn Jang was great. He was a little slower than the others in the banter and didn’t get many of their pop culture references, but his mic skills were highly professional. He had a great cadence and flow, and I’ll miss that as part of my daily routine. 

Dhaliwal was interesting in his own way, but ultimately too negative and always brought the mood down.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, nergish said:

I honestly thought Jawn Jang was great. He was a little slower than the others in the banter and didn’t get many of their pop culture references, but his mic skills were highly professional. He had a great cadence and flow, and I’ll miss that as part of my daily routine. 

Dhaliwal was interesting in his own way, but ultimately too negative and always brought the mood down.

While Jawn did not have hockey know how or any real sports background knowledge. His takes and Dawn Dangs were what made me laugh. Might’ve been too optimistic and speaking too much false hope. But his outlook and opinions made it entertaining as he wasn’t correct with many of his takes. Still wondering what splitting potatoes means and also,(How was Alfredson on the cover of NHL) when he never was Jawn?

With these additional cuts to the ones we saw before the season started (Kipper,Shannon,MacLean) it appears that Rogers is too broke to afford any talent after blowing their load on the big 5.2 billion dollar 12 year NHL deal. Goes to show what kind of people are stirring the ship when you keep penny pinching on staff talent. 2026 is a longtime away Rogers, get your $€!+ in order.

Edited by EP Phone Home

17 hours ago, smithers joe said:

I have no time for sports radio these days.  All the bantering about their private/public, likes/dislikes...I really don't care for.

It's really annoying to wade through all that garbage just to hear a few snippets regarding my team.  They lost me quite some time ago. 

Edited by higgyfan
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I am not shocked of hearing this news. Anybody else recall Rick name drop Donnie a few times in the last little while calling him a “good guy”.

I do wonder how much Rick knew the writing on the wall as mentioning the competition is a big no no on the airwaves. Rick mentioned Donnie the other station more than a few occasions.

Edited by EP Phone Home