The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possible Canucks trade looming

cuporbust

Gaudette spending a couple of weeks in Utica, playing top line minutes, is not necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather do that instead of having him alternate sitting in the press box.

Completely good with the team deciding to make a statement by waiving Eriksson for the purposes of assigning to Utica. I'm pretty sure that they have exhausted options to trade him, might as well get him some playing time. Maybe a team will be badly hit by the injury bug and will agree to accept him on trade with 2 million retained.

25 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Gaudette spending a couple of weeks in Utica, playing top line minutes, is not necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather do that instead of having him alternate sitting in the press box.

Completely good with the team deciding to make a statement by waiving Eriksson for the purposes of assigning to Utica. I'm pretty sure that they have exhausted options to trade him, might as well get him some playing time. Maybe a team will be badly hit by the injury bug and will agree to accept him on trade with 2 million retained.

it not the money with LE  it is the 6 million cap hit  no team with injuries is gonna touch that cap hit 

13 minutes ago, WCE said:

With Eriksonn contract 

I would look at something like 

To NSH Sutter,Leivo & Eriksson 

To Van Turris & 3rd rd 2020 or Turris, Watson & 5th rd  2020

If Nashville needs anything its D depth or an upgrade on weber hamhuis pairing.

Turris, Fabbro, Johansen, sissons, hamhuis, Irwin.. bunch of BC boys! 

My money is on Turris, Fabbro and Johansen being close teammates.

I can see them sending Gaudette back to Utica, to play a lot of minutes. With Motte now back, and Eriksson sitting upstairs gathering cobwebs, the Canucks are wasting Gaudette sitting in the press box. I'm okay with this move, he can't be claimed. Utica is going to kick some butt.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

If Nashville needs anything its D depth or an upgrade on weber hamhuis pairing.

Turris, Fabbro, Johansen, sissons, hamhuis, Irwin.. bunch of BC boys! 

My money is on Turris, Fabbro and Johansen being close teammates.

I remember when the Weber Hamhuis pairing was actually a legit pairing, back when the Weber was Shea and not Yannick.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

It could just be roster moves between the Canucks and the Comets.

Or perhaps Baertschi or Goldobin have been traded to an offensively starved team.  If the Canucks acquire an NHL roster player that must clear waivers, then that would require some maneuvering.

I ah... totally forgot about Goldy and Baer.. #sorrynotsorry

5 hours ago, WCE said:

With Eriksonn contract 

I would look at something like 

To NSH Sutter,Leivo & Eriksson 

To Van Turris & 3rd rd 2020 or Turris, Watson & 5th rd  2020

Nashville has no use for Sutter when they already have Bonino who in the same role has been more productive - he was a +27 last year with his line outscoring opponents at 5v5 (I know the limitation of plus / minus but a +27 in a checking role is still noteworthy).  Sissons or Jarnkrok can also play that C shutdown role.  

They want 3 scoring lines and Poile was talking about how they have that with Johansen, Duchene and Turris.  Turris has also been playing well for them this year now that he is finally healthy.  

Nashville talks of P60 and Leivo ranks 294th among Fs with 40 games and more for his time in Vancouver.  He hasn't been particularly efficient in the offensive role he received.  He was playing top-6 with the team's best players and PP1 and his production just matched Virtanen's who did not get the same advantageous deployment.  

Nashville is a pretty soft team and Watson brings needed toughness.  Laviolette trusts him in key defensive situations and he can produce in that role.  Eriksson/Sutter don't bring any physicality and meanness.  There's also a lack of speed and Poile thinks speed is the most important skill.

Nashville will also be trying to clear cap space as they want to sign Josi - they would be adding more than 4M over what they are moving out.  They also have prospects pushing for spots and are an ageing team that needs to also bring in some youth and not add +30 year old players.

Edited by mll

25 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I would still do an Eriksson for Lucic trade.

If Lucic's contract was retained again so he was only a 1.5-2m cap hit I would too.

Then I'd waive him and only .5-1m against the cap would be there.

That's about the only way I'd do that one. Lucic is garbage.

• Upvote 2

3. The Canucks are unbeaten since Bo Horvat was named captain, and, in a huge turnaround, trail only Carolina and Nashville for goals by defencemen. Troy Stecher’s ice-time was down from 19:55 in 2018–19 to 13:58 in the first four games of 2019–20. There were rumblings that the Canucks would look to move him for a prospect or a draft pick to ease their cap crunch — but that was denied. Stecher scored his first of the year Tuesday night against Detroit. His ice time was a slightly deceiving 12:16 as he missed the last six minutes due to a misconduct.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-taylor-hall-contract-status-looms-slow-starting-devils/

Stecher is a guy to keep an eye on this year. Baumer doesn't seem to like to use him very much, beyond the injuries last year, Baumer used Stecher sparingly and considering that he doesn't play any special teams, they may be looking to find an upgrade over him.

Carrying a 2.3 mil cap hit and heading to RFA with arb rights, they may take same approach they did with Ben Hutton.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

45 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-taylor-hall-contract-status-looms-slow-starting-devils/

Stecher is a guy to keep an eye on this year. Baumer doesn't seem to like to use him very much, beyond the injuries last year, Baumer used Stecher sparingly and considering that he doesn't play any special teams, they may be looking to find an upgrade over him.

Carrying a 2.3 mil cap hit and heading to RFA with arb rights, they may take same approach they did with Ben Hutton.

Yeah.  Probably makes a bit too much (in a salary cap world) as a 5-6 defenceman.  He's not getting PP time and probably seldom PK time as well.  So it's just 5v5 deployment. 

22 hours ago, teepain said:

Can we still do Loui + 3rd rounder for a 7th?

New Jersey you there?

Just Noooooooo... they'll make us take back Schneider at full salary!!! and then we'll be forced to trade away Marky or Demko... and it'll just keep getting worse from there!