The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 15, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

With Stevie Y there they'll pick a solid player 1-31 anyway.

I'd be a little concerned with their prospect pool.  They took Zadina when there were some very good D available, then took Seider when there were some very good forwards available.  I think they missed on both, but it remains to be seen.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'd be a little concerned with their prospect pool.  They took Zadina when there were some very good D available, then took Seider when there were some very good forwards available.  I think they missed on both, but it remains to be seen.

Zadina will be fine. 

• Upvote 2

Pretty decent game, Canucks look like they can hold onto a lead.

The improvement with just Benn and Myers seems to have motivated Edler and Tanev now if they can Tryamkin in there they could have the size to deal with every big line in the league. Remember that Tryamkin was even more mobile than Edler so he may be the "needed" piece. I just hope they don't try to "teach him a lesson" by sending him to Utica for an extended period of time. He is already way ahead of Julievi on the depth chart.

I hope the team stays healthy for awhile longer, missing any of the dmen or even any from the top two lines could have a huge impact. So far they appear to be up to the teams they have played against, beating who they should but now comes a road trip.

I am loving the compete and grit of this team.  Blew a point in Edmonton, but very solid start to the year.

Few thoughts:

-Meyers and Edler look like a solid top pair.  We have some toughness on our back end now.  Meyers looks to be exactly what we need.

-JT Miller is also exactly what we needed.  Plants himself in front of the net and good things happen.  

-Hughes is playing 20 minutes a game.  He is a rookie and carrying the play, he has a scary level of potential.

-Demko looked shaky I thought.  Made the saves, but seemed to be fighting the puck all night.

-We have crushed 2 teams in our last 3.  Granted they are bad teams, but keep in mind most "experts" have us in the same tier as the Kings/Wings.  This team has come a long way.

-We still have Gaudette, Baertschi, Goldobin, Rousell as extras/depth if our forwards falter at all.  Not many teams have that level of depth.  It will pay off in the long run.

Looking forward to the road trip, 5 out 8 points seems like a reasonable expectation.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, FijianCanuck said:

Zadina will be fine. 

Yeah, he will be fine, but the 4 D picked after him are all looking very strong.

My point was that I'd rather have Hughes and Cozens/Zegras than Zadina and Seider.

I know it is super early and everything can change, but I feel they may have missed on all 3 of their top 10 picks from the past 3 years (Rasmussen from 2017 included.).  I don't love their prospect pool at this point, and they are a pretty thin team currently.  May be a real tough couple years coming up in Detroit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Not a lot. It's a fine line between scoring and not scoring. I thought they moved the puck a little quicker. I thought Eddie did a good job of getting pucks through. It's nice that they got rewarded." - Green on what was different about the PP tonight

He's being coy and somewhat truthful at the same time.  They changed by adapting to the changes the opposition teams have made.  The opposing teams have been assigning players to stick just a bit closer to Petey and Brock this season.  This has opened up the middle, and Miller has been given the task of taking that space.  Note how often Petey in particular is slipping Miller the puck in the slot on the PP now.  If they change their alignment to cover him more, it leaves either Petey or Brock open for the one timer.  Along with Edler's much better shooting from the point and Miller's work down low when the puck goes up to Edler, it's resulting in way better scoring chances than the previous perimeter play trying to get the shots from Petey and Brock when the coverage was on them.  

On the game in general, I think I'm on board with the majority of the comments.  This was a much better physical battle from a Canucks team.  Probably the best we've seen in years.  The Benning plan is starting to come together.  Every single addition over the Summer has been making meaningful contributions and has plugged a gaping hole in our line up.  Quinn is possibly as big a steal in the draft as Petey was.  He and Tanev make each other better players.  Demko had a terrific game after the goal.  The fourth line played physical, hustled hard, and didn't give the only scoring threat the WIngs had on the ice much of a chance to keep them in the game.  When the WIngs got frustrated, everyone pushed back (partly, I believe, because they know they have guys like Ferland, Miller, Myers and Benn on their side).  Stecher stood up for himself, and sure, it cost a pp, but at that point, standing up was more important.  Petey is starting to throw hits.  He's starting to look more like Forsberg the elder all the time.  This is becoming a team to recon with.  Of course, it's easy to be positive after a three game home stand with lots of practice time between games.  There will be ups and downs all season, and a tough road trip ahead.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brownky said:

I don't, I don't want us to be anywhere near the lottery.

The Jackpot line. Much better than 'lottery' line. Leave the Lottery to whatever team Taylor Hall is on.

I agree. Jackpot line much better. And I admit I have being doing lame one word posts in the GDT (Jackpot!) when they score their first goal of the game. They are 3-0 now when I do that so now I have to keep it up until it doesn’t work. Lol. 

Welp, this is truly a different team. One with alot of spark, creativity, and upward potential. As a prior poster has mentioned, Elias does not look as precise on plays as he did last year. This could be because there is more attention on him and thus he has less time/space - I guess we will see.

Hot Takes:

- I was not impressed by Demko. He was seemingly shaky on some fundamentally easy shots. He does not look centered, and gets out of position when making simple saves. 

- Hughes is shaping out nicely, and his game will only improve from here.

- Jake seems to be on the upward trajectory (probably his weakest game this season, but still better than last year). Is not as invisible as last year, and is hard on the puck. I'm liking what I'm seeing

- Edler looked sharp. Sometimes I would like to see them dish it more to Elias rather than Edler on the powerplay. Yes Edler has a bomb shot, but Elias has the special hands/creativity/advanced AI hockey mind. 

- Would love to see more selfish play by Elias (i.e. last season) through creating own space

- Would love to see Boessor rifling it more :/

- Not impressed by Bo - there is very little creativity in his game. His movements are very predictable, and I'm sick of the NHL 15 inward deke that he does.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1