The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 15, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I agree to a certain extent... but on the other hand I also feel that Edler's minutes are easier ones because Myers is taking a lot of the physical load off Eddy's shoulders.

I think Edler is still taking a lot of tough minutes.  Myers can mitigated some but Edler is  still taking on a lot of responsibility and hard minutes such as the PK.

If the coaches are insistent that Edler must be on all units of the special teams, then make an active choice to limit certian minutes.  TG seems inclined to keep Edler on PP1, so a way to cut some hard minutes is not using him as the first Dpairing on the PK.  Often the First PK unit will spend on average more time on ice then the second unit because of the shift length.  Next time watch how often the OK changes, its usually PK unit 1 then PK unit 2 then back to Unit 1 to finish the PK off (barring a goal).

Instead of defaulting to Edler and Myers first over the baords, throw out Benn and Tanev/Stecher first (albeit yes determining who was on the ice previously). Even at the end of the game, the coaches seem to consolidate the top 4 dman to finish off the rest of the 6-7 minutes left in the third period.  Perhaps role all three pairings until the last 3-4 minutes.  Those small adjustments I think can take away a couple of shifts that can lead to a few minutes.

I know it sounds theoretically easier, but if the purpose is to take mins away from Edler so that he is preserved for later games in February, March and April, then the coaches need to be more intentional to in finding ways to cut his mins.  25 mins a in the first four games is a lot early in the season, when you still have 70+ games to go.

I understand that Myers does take some of the focus because he is handling the puck more in all three zones over Edler.  But still think Baummer needs to be way more careful with Ealge's TOI.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Loved this. He punched him down to middle earth. 

Unfortunately it was largely a love tap and most of that was Erne showing off his acting chops :rolleyes:

Should have got an extra 2 for that embarrassing display.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I think Edler is still taking a lot of tough minutes.  Myers can mitigated some but Edler is  still taking on a lot of responsibility and hard minutes such as the PK.

If the coaches are insistent that Edler must be on all units of the special teams, then make an active choice to limit certian minutes.  TG seems inclined to keep Edler on PP1, so a way to cut some hard minutes is not using him as the first Dpairing on the PK.  Often the First PK unit will spend on average more time on ice then the second unit because of the shift length.  Next time watch how often the OK changes, its usually PK unit 1 then PK unit 2 then back to Unit 1 to finish the PK off (barring a goal).

Instead of defaulting to Edler and Myers first over the baords, throw out Benn and Tanev/Stecher first (albeit yes determining who was on the ice previously). Even at the end of the game, the coaches seem to consolidate the top 4 dman to finish off the rest of the 6-7 minutes left in the third period.  Perhaps role all three pairings until the last 3-4 minutes.  Those small adjustments I think can take away a couple of shifts that can lead to a few minutes.

I know it sounds theoretically easier, but if the purpose is to take mins away from Edler so that he is preserved for later games in February, March and April, then the coaches need to be more intentional to in finding ways to cut his mins.  25 mins a in the first four games is a lot early in the season, when you still have 70+ games to go.

I understand that Myers does take some of the focus because he is handling the puck more in all three zones over Edler.  But still think Baummer needs to be way more careful with Ealge's TOI.

It's a nice theory but no coach in the NHL is going to play his best players, who are performing at a high level, less.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Yeah, he will be fine, but the 4 D picked after him are all looking very strong.

My point was that I'd rather have Hughes and Cozens/Zegras than Zadina and Seider.

I know it is super early and everything can change, but I feel they may have missed on all 3 of their top 10 picks from the past 3 years (Rasmussen from 2017 included.).  I don't love their prospect pool at this point, and they are a pretty thin team currently.  May be a real tough couple years coming up in Detroit.

Looking at Tampa and how they've done under Yzerman, Detroit will be just fine. Even if you disagree with 2 of their picks. 

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Unfortunately it was largely a love tap and most of that was Erne showing off his acting chops :rolleyes:

Should have got an extra 2 for that embarrassing display.

The way he buried his face in his hands as he laid on the ice was just sad.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I know it is super early and everything can change, but I feel they may have missed on all 3 of their top 10 picks from the past 3 years (Rasmussen from 2017 included.).  I don't love their prospect pool at this point, and they are a pretty thin team currently.  May be a real tough couple years coming up in Detroit.

17 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Looking at Tampa and how they've done under Yzerman, Detroit will be just fine. Even if you disagree with 2 of their picks. 

...and Kenny's brought his act to Edmonton.  We can hope.

1 hour ago, FijianCanuck said:

Zadina will be fine. 

that kid is a stud. Mortiz was criminally underrated until the final month before the draft last year. I was one of his biggest fan boys and was secretly hoping we would be picking him at the 10 spot. I think they were both great picks.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

He passed to Edler and Edler passed to Elias and Elias passed back to Edler. 

That was on the Edler goal that went directly in (no deflection). The two assists are awarded to the last two players to play the puck before the goal-scorer, as long as possesion is maintained. On the shot Miller tipped, Boeser passed directly to Edler, who one-timed the puck and Miller tipped it in. Boeser received a second assist on each play.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Looking at TB under Yzerman they already started with a solid core of vets too.   I don’t know if TBs scouts came with Stevie Y - if they did then Detroit should get a big bump - because they have been the best drafters in the league the last five years ... based on ADP.   If they didn’t then...we’ll who knows.   Sieder was a strange pick to say the least .... not even close to where he was supposed to go... Zadina and passing on Hughes was also a bad start.   We won’t know how “great” Yzerman is until he’s made some trades and his picks in Detroit start doing something.  I do think he had a pretty sweat gig in TB, if he can take Detroit out of the woodwork and make them relevant again I will become a believer. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I laughed so much at this. It looked like Myers had just enough of Erne, when he gave him the "get the F off me" whack lol Then Erne turtled. The way he glanced up afterwards too, to make sure it was safe to get up, what a coward. 

The best part about it is how he had Myers flat on his back and still ended up getting a big old fashioned right arm too the chin.   Myers gave him the glove at that point (while on his back) and he lost the better position (ouch!)...then Myers got up and just Plowed him.   Between this and shoving Gio he’s quickly becoming my new favourite player.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yes, but those situations are pretty different.  Being a great GM in one market does not mean that you will win in another.  Chiarelli won a cup in Boston, was highly touted in his move to Edmonton, and then set that franchise back 5 years in his time there.  Talon in FLA is about the same.   Not saying Yzerman will fail, but in my eyes what he did in Tampa isn't that relevant to the wings as of yet.