The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) how to get rid of Erikssons terrible contract

Gator

3 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

What would you guys be willing to sacrifice to rid ourselves of the terrible contract?

I think I'd give up a Juolevi and/or some picks. Sadly that wont be enough IMO. How does 1 get sudden allergies to equiptment?

I’d just put it in the trash and when the league asked I’ll tell them I don’t know where it went

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

What would you guys be willing to sacrifice to rid ourselves of the terrible contract?

I think I'd give up a Juolevi and/or some picks. Sadly that wont be enough IMO. How does 1 get sudden allergies to equiptment?

I wouldn’t give up Juolevi or any other prospect.

I had originally thought of trading Eriksson for Boychuk or Alzner, but that would actually cause us more cap problems long term.

My best advice is as follows:

1) Be patient.   Keep using Eriksson in the same way we are using him this year.

2) Send him down to Utica next year.   After July 1st 2020, 31 of Eriksson’s 36 million will have been paid out to him.    It’s far more realistic to believe that Eriksson would consider retiring at this time as opposed to right now.    If Eriksson chooses to retire, we would then obviously be off the hook as far as his cap goes.    Trading LE and retaining salary on him just extends our long term liabilities and long term obligations.

Keep Eriksson around this year for depth (which seems to be an advantage for the Canucks this year) while the kids sizzle a little more on the farm, and then send him to the minors next season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, khay said:

Just have to let the time pass...

But to think that we have his 6M + Luongo's 3M = 9M tied up... we will need that cap in the near future

There’s the deferred bonus money that also has to be figured in the cap limit.  It’s going to be tight.  

11 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

eriksson + 3rd for future considerations.is our best shot but his contact sucks.

There's no getting rid of it via trade. We can't take on another anchor, and we can't afford to give away another 1st. Its just not going to happen that way unless Jim is really backed into a corner on negotiations and its the last nuclear option to clear cap space. Lets hope it doesn't get there. 

Best hope is he retires next July after being a healthy scratch/Utica player most of this year. 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Too high of an ask.

Trade a bad contract for bad contract. Sacrificing futures is a poor way to handle this. 

• Upvote 1

I would buy him out next July. We are only going to sane $333,000 next year but reduces the cap hit by $2,333,000 for the 2021/22 season when we could really use the cap room. I would not give up any "A" or "B" prospects to rid his salary unless there were some urgency to free up cap space.

LOUI ERIKSSON PROJECTED BUYOUT  2020-2021 SEASON
  2020-2021 2021-2022 2022-2023 2023-2024
ACTUAL CAP HIT Vancouver Canucks logo $5,666,667 $3,666,667 $666,667 $666,667
Savings $333,333 $2,333,333 $-666,667 $-666,667
Remaining Base Salary
$4,000,000
$1,000,000 $3,000,000 $0 $0
Original Cap Hit $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $0
Contract Signing Bonus $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $0 $0
Contract Total Salary ($4,000,000) ($4,000,000) ($0) ($0)
Annual Buyout Cost $666,667 $666,667 $666,667 $666,667
  • Like 1

We don't need any more cap space for this year.  So we are fine until the summer.  Next summer we have several people coming off the books, Schaller, Leivo, Tanev and Markstrom.  If we want to re-sign Markstrom then we will need to clear some space.  We could trade Baertschi and/or Sutter.  And we could send Loui to Utica to clear a roster spot and save $1 million.

It will get tricky if we decide to keep Markstrom and have to give him a $5 million+ deal.  If that happens then I could see us trading Sutter to make room for Gaudette.  That would free up enough money to sign Markstrom.  If we decide to keep Tanev then Baertschi would have to be traded as well.  I don't see us keeping Tanev however because we have too many young defencemen that will need a spot in the next 1-2 years and Tanev being a UFA will probably want a 5 year deal which won't work for us long term.  If Tryamkin comes over next year then we have to make room for him in the lineup so he could slide into Tanev's spot.  Plus Juolevi and Brisebois might be ready for the big show as well.

Honestly, I think we are fine to run out both Eriksson's contract and Luongo's recapture for the duration as we will be integrating a lot of ELC contracts into the lineup over the next 3 years.  And with expansion and the new tv contract coming up in 2 years the cap should increase enough to give us the room to re-sign both Petey and Quinn.  I think Benning will play this year by year.  And this year we are fine.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I would buy him out next July. We are only going to sane $333,000 next year but reduces the cap hit by $2,333,000 for the 2021/22 season when we could really use the cap room. I would not give up any "A" or "B" prospects to rid his salary unless there were some urgency to free up cap space.

LOUI ERIKSSON PROJECTED BUYOUT  2020-2021 SEASON
  2020-2021 2021-2022 2022-2023 2023-2024
ACTUAL CAP HIT Vancouver Canucks logo $5,666,667 $3,666,667 $666,667 $666,667
Savings $333,333 $2,333,333 $-666,667 $-666,667
Remaining Base Salary
$4,000,000
$1,000,000 $3,000,000 $0 $0
Original Cap Hit $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $0
Contract Signing Bonus $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $0 $0
Contract Total Salary ($4,000,000) ($4,000,000) ($0) ($0)
Annual Buyout Cost $666,667 $666,667 $666,667 $666,667

We would save more money next year just by sending him to Utica versus buying him out.

His best value is as expiring cap space.  We will really need room around the time his contract ends.

Getting into anything longer should not be an option. 

Probably best just to let him play out his contract and eat the money.  Loan out in AHL, Utica or pressbox.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BPA said:

If we want Canucks to be rid of LE now, it'll probably take a few good young players/prospects (something I'd rather not give up).

Something like LE + Guadette + Juolevi for a bottom 6 forward + 2nd.

It took the leafs a 1st to get rid of 1 year of Marleau.  He is far better than Eriksson.  You've got 2 years left of him at 6 Mil after this year. It is going to take more than it is worth to get rid of him.  I'd bury him in Utica, save the Million or so, and hope he retires to Sweden.  We are in good cap shape next season, with only Markstrom looking at a healthy raise, rest of the guys will be relatively small increases.  I wouldn't worry too much about the space LE is burning at this point.

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We don't need any more cap space for this year.  So we are fine until the summer.  Next summer we have several people coming off the books, Schaller, Leivo, Tanev and Markstrom.  If we want to re-sign Markstrom then we will need to clear some space.  We could trade Baertschi and/or Sutter.  And we could send Loui to Utica to clear a roster spot and save $1 million.

It will get tricky if we decide to keep Markstrom and have to give him a $5 million+ deal.  If that happens then I could see us trading Sutter to make room for Gaudette.  That would free up enough money to sign Markstrom.  If we decide to keep Tanev then Baertschi would have to be traded as well.  I don't see us keeping Tanev however because we have too many young defencemen that will need a spot in the next 1-2 years and Tanev being a UFA will probably want a 5 year deal which won't work for us long term.  If Tryamkin comes over next year then we have to make room for him in the lineup so he could slide into Tanev's spot.  Plus Juolevi and Brisebois might be ready for the big show as well.

Honestly, I think we are fine to run out both Eriksson's contract and Luongo's recapture for the duration as we will be integrating a lot of ELC contracts into the lineup over the next 3 years.  And with expansion and the new tv contract coming up in 2 years the cap should increase enough to give us the room to re-sign both Petey and Quinn.  I think Benning will play this year by year.  And this year we are fine.

Pettersson, Gaudette and Hughes have performance bonuses of 850K each - so potentially 2.55M that needs to be accounted for either this season or next.  Unless a trade happens it's likely that the Canucks will have a bonus overage on their books next season.  Pettersson has an additional 2M but it's dependent on him winning a major award or being a top-10 player in the league - probably not attainable this season.

There are discussions to keep the cap somewhat flat for a few years, even after the TV deal to allow revenue to catch up to the cap.  Right now the league is operating on an artificially increased cap, so players are getting less than what is in their contracts - it's the escrow issue. 

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I say keep him for now, see how the depth looks in January/February. Make a decison at the TDL, maybe package him with Goldobin or Baertschi, and maybe Brisebois, for a 20-something player who needs a change of scenery, and picks, if possible. 

I send him to Utica and sit him in the press box - in Utica - for this whole  year.   He only has $1M left in salary this year with another $3M bonus next July.  I say he will retire after that if he can make it through the year sitting out in Utica without retiring. 

I honestly don't think the Canucks owe him any favors and I think he just retires - at least after next July.  The team is better without him and there is no room for him here or in Utica.  He is just a distraction at this point.  I give no decent prospects or picks to shed him.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2