The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Canucks should consider trading one of their forwards for a defenseman.

I would say more that we should trade for a good D prospect rather than an NHL D.

We have solid top 6-8 that will be tough to improve on without spending a lot of cap space we don’t have.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Juolievi-Tryamkin (I am being optimistic)

If Virtanen could get you one of Carolina’s D prospects who is probably a couple years away, you do a move like that.  Carolina is looking for a top nine winger and are reportedly kicking tires on Ho Sang and Puljujarvi.  Virtanen would be more attractive one would think.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I would say more that we should trade for a good D prospect rather than an NHL D.

We have solid top 6-8 that will be tough to improve on without spending a lot of cap space we don’t have.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Juolievi-Tryamkin (I am being optimistic)

If Virtanen could get you one of Carolina’s D prospects who is probably a couple years away, you do a move like that.  Carolina is looking for a top nine winger and are reportedly kicking tires on Ho Sang and Puljujarvi.  Virtanen would be more attractive one would think.

Good thoughts.   

While on that note, I’m wondering if the Canes would be interested in something less dramatic?   Like a Baertschi or a Goldobin for Roland Mckeown type deal?

On 10/17/2019 at 2:16 AM, Hindustan Smyl said:

I’m not sure if this is a troll response or a serious response, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I don’t think lowly of Virtanen at all.  Although he’s had a long road, he clearly has some potential to be great.    Given that many of our best players in franchise history (Twins, Naslund, Bertuzzi, etc.) took an exponential leap in their games during their mid-to-late 20’s, of course I know that Virtanen could take an exponential leap as well.

All I’m saying is this:

1) We seem to have an over abundance of depth up front (ie Roussel, Gaudette, Eriksson, Baertschi, and Goldobin Incase of injuries).

2) From my point of view, I think one can make a strong case for the fact that we still need some more defensive depth.......especially when you consider the injury histories of Tanev and Edler.    

In my opinion, the Canucks need another solid Top 4 dman as an insurance policy.   Someone that is a clear upgrade over Stecher and Benn, as I don’t see Stecher and Benn being viable long term top 4 options Incase we have injuries......although I like both dmen very much.

Now obviously - I would love to trade a popcorn fart like Goldobin or Eriksson to land such a piece, but it ain’t happening.  

So - if the Canucks need another dman, who is a good bargaining chip?    My vote would be for Virtanen........not because I think Virtanen is a lost cause, but because, I realize how much potential he has and other GM’s likely recognize that as well.    Trade Jake for the defensive equivalent of Jake (ie young talented dman that could still break out) was my suggestion.   In order to receive something of value, you have to give.

Ya I agree on the need for depth at D which team doesnt have that need tho? The Bertuzzi and the Virtanen types

do not grow on trees. JV will need time to see I notice him almost every shift. I feel like the bigger guys take more 

time to get firing on all cylinders. Ferland for example is now starting to show that side. 

• Cheers 1

Every team can use another top 4 Dman. It would be great to have one but it's not happening this year. Cost would be too high

If you want a top 4 Dman you have to pay a heavy price. Something like a 1st and OJ would have to go the other way. 

Tram will be here at year end. He'll be on 3rd pair with Stecher. Benn will then be our 7th dman. That will be very good depth. OJ likely plays next season but he'll take a couple more years to work his way up to top 4 Dman. 

JB desperately wants a right shot Dman who can walk the line. Tyson Barrie is UFA next summer. He's a local kid maybe he'll come sign here. 

• Upvote 1