The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brashear Working at Timmies

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

If he had to work a service industry type job he'd be working at a bar, as a bouncer. Not a Tim's

Probably not the best line of work for a guy dealing with substance issues.

Hope the new CBA creates some kind of fund to help out retired players who fall on hard times.

Edited by King Heffy

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Probably not the best line of work for a guy dealing with substance issues.

Hope the new CBA creates some kind of fund to help out retired players who fall on hard times.

Really?

Like he actually blew it all?

Landscaping, construction, dock yards, warehouses.. he could get a gig in a lot of situations just based on the fact he is Donald Brashear. There's no way he actually works at Tim's. I'm not buying it.

The whole thing just seems off

Edited by luckylager

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Really?

Like he actually blew it all?

Landscaping, construction, dock yards, warehouses.. he could get a gig in a lot of situations just based on the fact he is Donald Brashear. There's no way he actually works at Tim's. I'm not buying it.

The whole thing just seems off

When you have guys like Joe Murphy who are literally homeless, you can't buy Brashear working at a Tim's?

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

When you have guys like Joe Murphy who are literally homeless, you can't buy Brashear working at a Tim's?

I guess

But if he's motivated and capable enough to work at Tim's, he could be making a whole lot more money as a labourer

Click bait article 

I for one will not judge a man or woman on their material worth grandiose or poor rather their generosity character and kindness to others. Material belongings and money won’t define you as a human being the people you have affected positively or negatively will. I’m not religious guy I’m just pointing out what most of us know in our hearts to be true. 

Edited by Bertorama
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I guess

But if he's motivated and capable enough to work at Tim's, he could be making a whole lot more money as a labourer

Do most of those players know that though?  Not sure how much exposure these guys have to the real-world labour market.

Also he's working in a franchise that belonged to a former NHL player, so maybe he got connected there vs. applying and whatnot (i.e. got a hookup)?

But yeah, I'm just imagining what he could do if he teamed up with Laraque and taught sparring/ martial arts.  Those schools would at least be lucrative and respectable (not to say that his honest day's work isn't but he'd make a lot more just based on the impression of his fitness and his fighting ability, seeing how again he's Donald Brashear). 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Do most of those players know that though?  Not sure how much exposure these guys have to the real-world labour market.

Also he's working in a franchise that belonged to a former NHL player, so maybe he got connected there vs. applying and whatnot (i.e. got a hookup)?

But yeah, I'm just imagining what he could do if he teamed up with Laraque and taught sparring/ martial arts.  Those schools would at least be lucrative and respectable (not to say that his honest day's work isn't but he'd make a lot more just based on the impression of his fitness and his fighting ability, seeing how again he's Donald Brashear). 

Right.

I'm sure he can drive and lift a heavy box too.

Still not buying the clickbait end of things here. Maybe I just don't want to believe it.

11 hours ago, Green Building said:

I was going to rip into the 2 goofs above, but I'll instead leave the following comment as a passive aggressive slight against them since your elevated level of compassion has overcome my initial reaction:  

Nobody in this thread knows the slightest damn thing about Brashear's plight over the last decade, and any alternative insinuation is as ignorant as the afforementioned posts above yours.  

Lawyers cost money, brain damage is permanent, but please, everyone continue to rip a dude cause he pours a &^@#ing coffee after a lifetime of choices.  

Bunch of goofs. 

Happy week after Thanksgiving. 

I got a kick out of this.

Everybody has a story. I see lots of middle-age people working at Tims, along with other fast-food joints, retail, etc. They all have a story. Some of them are really sad. Some of them were sentenced to a lifetime of hard work just to survive simply because of where they were born. But I'm pretty confident that 99.99% of them didn't make $16M and blow it.

Brashear made the decision to blow his money, and now he's paying for it. It's not 'ripping a dude', it's just fact. Whatever his underlying circumstances or motivations were doesn't change it - he's still responsible for his decisions, like anyone else. He should have to work for a living after spending all his money.

And just because someone calls a spade a spade doesn't mean they are callous, uncaring, or not applying appropriate dignity. If I was at that Timmies and saw Brashear, I'd be excited, he was a favourite of mine back in the day. If I ran into him at a bar/restaurant, I'd buy him a beer (after confirming if he drinks), and thank him for being a warrior for my team. But I can still admire a person for one thing, and at the same time acknowledge he made big mistakes in other facets of his life.

18 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Pretty sure this was done in an era that no one talked about getting a financial adviser, or an accountant and lawyer. There has been a lot of boxers, football players that have earned a lot then blew it all. I'm glad he's at least working. One advantage of college players is they get a degree to fall back on when their playing career ends.

In the early NHL days, players would play in the winter. And in the summer months have regular jobs. CFL players usually have regular jobs in the offseason.

Brash was in the 1990's-2000's where players were making no where near the money they do now.

According to capfriendly.com Brashear made over 16 million career earnings. That is still a big amount. Players, at least the smart ones, have been using accountants and lawyers for decades now.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjdzobDvKPlAhVIqJ4KHaynAH4QFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.capfriendly.com%2Fplayers%2Fdonald-brashear&usg=AOvVaw3TBBXo6TIzvmNhVdaDxn4S