The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Gudbranson butterfly effect

Rate this topic

Kosmo Kramer

I prefer to see the return received from the Kesler sale. There are so many side pieces that also came & went, making it not so clear.

But at the end of the day, Kesler(who's basically done), has equalled, Sutter & Pearson.

Say we were to flip these guys(down the road, even with some retention), for 2 2nd's.

Then we'd have a chance at prolonging the value of(what originally was) a 2003 1st used on RK17. That's some pretty nice recycling, when green is good.

Sort of like how 1988 1st rounder Linden, has ultimately given us Markstrom today. Recycling past gems is smart.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

McCann had character issues. It was one of the reasons Benning got rid of him and im glad hes gone. 

Are you referring to the " it is what it is" comment or is there more to the story?

I don't think Pittsburgh fans are saying he had poor character. 

23 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I think it should be noted that McCann has has also been traded from the team we traded him to. So two teams have found him to be moveable piece.

edit: Pearson and Gudbranson have also each been traded twice

Kind of voided your own comment here.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

I prefer to see the return received from the Kesler sale. There are so many side pieces that also came & went, making it not so clear.

But at the end of the day, Kesler(who's basically done), has equalled, Sutter & Pearson.

Say we were to flip these guys(down the road, even with some retention), for 2 2nd's.

Then we'd have a chance at prolonging the value of(what originally was) a 2003 1st used on RK17. That's some pretty nice recycling, when green is good.

Sort of like how 1988 1st rounder Linden, has ultimately given us Markstrom today. Recycling past gems is smart.

I would delve into a tree of the Kesler effect but I would like to mention he handcuffed the team with basically 1 real destination.  Hard to get value in that position.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just comparing the two of Pearson and McCann, I'd say McCann might be more valuable based on about equal levels of offense and being significantly younger, but that said, I'd still do the deal in the end since McCann obviously wasn't fitting here. It's also worth noting that I feel like Pearson could take on an internal leadership role as his time in Vancouver rolls on. I don't expect he'll ever wear a letter (given our rising young stars), but as he gets older and becomes a veteran, I can see him being a Sutter-type player for this team in terms of leadership.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I would delve into a tree of the Kesler effect but I would like to mention he handcuffed the team with basically 1 real destination.  Hard to get value in that position.

Yeah, it was spoiled & petty. But as per that review, I'm fine with how it worked out.

Let them MotherDuckers worry about 6.8 mill(x eternity) for some prima donna who's no longer hip.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Are you referring to the " it is what it is" comment or is there more to the story?

I don't think Pittsburgh fans are saying he had poor character. 

"It is what it is" comment was a bit over blown. But I believe the Sedins werent very impressed with the way McCann and Virtanen were conducting themselves the year they made the team. Andrey Pedan blasted his character and even Ben Huttons mom.

Edited by captainhorvat
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

"It is what it is" comment was a bit over blown. But I believe the Sedins werent very impressed with the way McCann and Virtanen were conducting themselves the year they made the team. Andrey Pedan blasted his character and even Ben Huttons mom.

Someone's Mom forgot

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

19 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Not what you want to hear about a player.  He was young and cocky.  Maybe he will grow up, maybe not.

Probably the right choice to move on if several teammates were rubbed the wrong way.

1 hour ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Gudbranson has come and gone, thankfully it turned into Pearson who is doing well for us, but I thought it would be interesting to examine the bigger picture and see what your thoughts are.

We gave up

Jared McCann

2016 2nd round pick ( Rasmus Asplund )

2016 4th round pick  ( Jonathan Ang      )

We may have picked other players, but this is what those picks turned into.

We recieved Gudbranson

2016 5th round pick ( Cole Candella )

And ultimately Tanner Pearson.

At a quick look at the 3 prospects involved, don't look like they will make the NHL, so not much loss there.

McCann

2018-2019  19G 16A - 37P - 78GP

2019-2020  2G 1A - 3P  - 6GP 

Pearson as a Canuck

2018-2019 9G 3A - 12P - 19GP

2019-2020 2G 2A - 4P - 5GP

McCann is 4 years younger at 23.

Pearson is 15lbs heavier

Same height. 

I don't watch Pittsburgh so I don't know exactly how McCann is doing but it seems he is averaging 15 minutes of ice time, same as Pearson. 

In hindsight, would you make the trade all over again?  Should we have kept McCann instead?

Who ended up with the best player?

Also would McCann be a better version of Gaudette or will the hockey Gaud be better? 

I didn't think up a good ending for this thread, I usually just lurk lol.

Please share your thoughts on the trades now that we have the power of hindsight.

Asplund, my opinion, will play NHL games. Make it a career?

Remains to be seen.

He's 21, already on his 5th year as a pro. Plays the 2 way game coaches love, plays hard. Has improved each of those 5 years. Slick skills under the surface, can play bottom 6. I'd love it if he was a Canuck prospect.

edit, wholly geez, start of his 6th pro year. 35 games in the SHL in 2014/14. And he's just 21 now, he was 16. Then 3 more full years in the SHL, last year in the AHL. By all reports a solid year.

Edited by Canuck Surfer

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Asplund, my opinion, will play NHL games. Make it a career?

Remains to be seen.

He's 21, already on his 5th year as a pro. Plays the 2 way game coaches love, plays hard. Has improved each of those 5 years. Slick skills under the surface, can play bottom 6. I'd love it if he was a Canuck prospect.

Thanks for the insight, really don't know anything about these guys other than a stat line.

What is your opinion on the trade as a whole?

Do you think we would be better off with McCann and Asplund than Pearson?

I don't really strike a direct correlation from McCann to Pearson.  McCann is producing at a clip a little better than Baertschi was here.

At the time we made the Gudbrandson / Pearson deal? Both were struggling.  It was a bit numbing.  I just shrugged when that one took place. Benning said he was clearing room to make moves in summer. I took him at his word on that one. Pearson probably had more potential to recover. He was the more accomplished player in the past. So far it looks good on all counts...

• Cheers 2