The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Gudbranson butterfly effect

Rate this topic

Kosmo Kramer

The McCann trade was the right idea, but for the wrong defence man. Ironic that a d-man that got picked up in free agency this year (Myers) is exactly the kind of defenceman the team has wanted, and needed. In fact, even Luke Schenn was arguably a better defenceman than Gudbranson last year. 

The fact that Florida, a team that needs offence, was willing to part with McCann should speak volumes. 

• Upvote 1

I feel that it worked out well.

Using hindsight is one thing, however, had we kept McCann perhaps we'd have counted on him for/as something he was not and that may have influenced other decisions, picks, etc.   Maybe our needs would have changed and we may not have landed in the position we're in in the here and now.  We may have passed on Petey and gone for a D man?

I'm really happy with this team to date and so even WITH the luxury of hindsight don't have any regrets in relation to team decisions.  I do feel the attitude in the locker room is the right one...not sure that McCann fit into this puzzle we're putting together.  And then, after Petey, we were clearly needing something on d and along comes Quinn.   But would the thinking have been the same and led to the same decisions?  All things that have led us here have contributed to this roster and I'm quite happy with it.

Also...we're seeing the true value in seeking out players of character and integrity as the team has so carefully done.  It's starting to pay off - team first, no I in team players where everyone buys in to that. The attitude is so important as it not only establishes "we're in this together" and a brotherhood but no one's strutting around like they're the most important guy and pointing fingers at others.  Petey's a great example....never takes things lightly, he's harder on himself than anything.  And that rubs off as other players not only assume responsibility and accountability, but keep their egos in check.  

Good thread though...lots of thought and room for discussion.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

In hindsight, would you make the trade all over again?  Should we have kept McCann instead?

Who ended up with the best player?

Also would McCann be a better version of Gaudette or will the hockey Gaud be better? 

Even though it worked out alright in the end, we absolutely would have been better not trading for Gudbranson. We bought high and sold low. Fortunately we also bought low on Pearson, and that seems to be going in our favour. We would have been better off making the picks ourselves, and just signed a UFA to plug the hole (Demers, Lovejoy and Polak were UFAs that year, and in hindsight provided as much utility as Gudbranson gave us, the latter 2 for a lot less cap hit too).

For what it's worth, according to Botchford, the Canucks were trying to acquire another early 2nd round pick at the 2016 draft, because they really liked Debrincat, and had expected him to go in the 1st. Not sure that's 100% true, but as CS mentioned, Asplund is a good prospect. So are Kyrou, Hajek, Kuokkanen, Katchouk, etc. [The 4th/5th is probably a wash, but there were a few decent prospects that went between them (Mete, Lajoie, Koivula…), so maybe we would have came out better?]

Luckily, we hit the jackpot on both Pettersson and Hughes, so things overall are looking up. But personally, I would have liked to see more commitment to a rebuild in 2016-18, and more picks/youth acquired. We'd have more young depth on the team and on the farm, not only to fortify our current team, but also to have trade chips to play going forward. But can't go back in time...

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

"It is what it is" comment was a bit over blown. But I believe the Sedins werent very impressed with the way McCann and Virtanen were conducting themselves the year they made the team. Andrey Pedan blasted his character and even Ben Huttons mom.

5 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Not what you want to hear about a player.  He was young and cocky.  Maybe he will grow up, maybe not.

Probably the right choice to move on if several teammates were rubbed the wrong way.

5 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Yea this organization dont f around when it comes 2 bad character. 

To be fair, he was 18 years old at the time.  

A young guy suddenly becoming a celebrity in a Canadian city via being an NHL player, with loads of cash, and probably young ladies flocking to be around him.  

Seems more like, he just needs time to mature rather than him being a cancer to a locker room.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

"It is what it is" comment was a bit over blown. But I believe the Sedins werent very impressed with the way McCann and Virtanen were conducting themselves the year they made the team. Andrey Pedan blasted his character and even Ben Huttons mom.

It was Matt Bartkowski mom and the whole interview was pretty funny https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-beth-bartkowski-mom

As far as the OP question I am quite happy with how Pearson is working out, looks like him and Bo might have some good chemistry. At the time of the trade with Florida I was really happy, we needed someone big and tough back there on defense, it's too bad he didn't work out. 

Edited by mikkim
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

It should be noted that Rasmus Asplund, the player the Panthers picked with the 2nd round pick, has also been dealt away from the Panthers since this trade went down. He's now a prospect in the Buffalo Sabres organization. Sure, rumors have it that the Canucks were interested in Alex DeBrincat during the 2016 draft but a lot of those rumors could be hindsight since he was the best player selected in the 2nd round of the 2016 NHL entry draft (followed by Samuel Girard and Carter Hart). 

The only player left on the Panthers in that deal is Jonathan Ang who is having a hot start to the AHL season with 4 points in 5 games. Maybe he becomes a bottom six forward for the Panthers or maybe not. Time will tell. 

Either way, Gudbranson and McCann have since been traded away from both organizations in this deal so it's really a wash of a deal now.  

Would have liked to keep McCann. As projected, he took some time to develop into quite a decent player, and he’s only 23 to boot.

The character allegations are a tad hypocritical in that people often decided to turn a blind eye when anything involving Virtanen came up. 

We all look like geniuses when we put on our hindsight glasses.

I don't see the point in rehashing trades that happened years ago.  I like the team they are icing today and that's all that matters to me. 

As a former Canuck once said..."it's what it is."

When McCann was with the Canucks, he did pass the eyeball test better than Virtanen.  

He has very decent speed with or without the puck, he backchecked, and he competed hard.  

If he was an extra inch or two taller and 30 pounds heavier, he would be easily be pushed to be a top-6 centre... and JV would have been the one packing his bags.  

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't really strike a direct correlation from McCann to Pearson.  McCann is producing at a clip a little better than Baertschi was here.

At the time we made the Gudbrandson / Pearson deal? Both were struggling.  It was a bit numbing.  I just shrugged when that one took place. Benning said he was clearing room to make moves in summer. I took him at his word on that one. Pearson probably had more potential to recover. He was the more accomplished player in the past. So far it looks good on all counts...

The Pearson for Gudbranson trade was always a win regardless of how good Pearson was. Gudbranson played at an AHL level during his tenure here, but the optics would have never been good for management to not have him in the lineup. He was a constant net negative on the ice with no self accountability. Everyone was worse with him on the ice. 

At the worst, Pearson was going to continue being a replacement level scorer which was automatically better than bleeding goals Gudbranson. Best case was that he finds his game again, which he clearly has.

It blows my mind that a team was willing to take him. Awful player.

But, I do agree that the trade never should have been made. Forget the fact that he wasn't ever really that good, it was not a logical move to trade a good young ES player for a guy they had to sign the following offseason who was decently older.

Pearson is a legitimately good player. Him and Miller have been our best forwards this year. 

13 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

When McCann was with the Canucks, he did pass the eyeball test better than Virtanen.  

He has very decent speed with or without the puck, he backchecked, and he competed hard.  

If he was an extra inch or two taller and 30 pounds heavier, he would be easily be pushed to be a top-6 centre... and JV would have been the one packing his bags.  

McCann's advanced stats were also good here. Really good ES player at the NHL level relative to deployment. Loved when we picked him, always thought he was better than Jake.

• Upvote 1