The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Oct. 17, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Guadette should be in and Schaller out...does any of the following ring a bell from last nignt;

...and Schaller can't keep it in

...Schaller falls down creating the breakaway

...Schaller misses the puck on the attempted pass

...Schaller was out of position on that last goal...

I think he is putting out way more than last year, but Guadette is better in almost every way...he just needs to be put on the 2nd PP and myabe some PK practise for later in the year....

I too would like to see Gaudette in instead of Schaller, Gaudette has had lots of fight so far this season and I think he can learn some things from Beagle. 

Last night when Canucks fall 1-3, I said we will come back, my friend laughed me loudly.

Finally we won in the SO, I laughed extreme loudly.

Demko is hot, agreed to give him one more start, before switch to Marky.

The additions of this season are quite good, thanks to JB.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Having troubles thinking who will come out of the line up when roussel returns with Gaudette still on the sidelines 

I like Leivo and schaller seems to fit line 4 nice and motte deserves a spot and sutter has been great 

This is a HAPPY TROUBLE.  Let Green to solve it.

51 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I think the only way we got lucky with the refs is that they figured after 2.5 periods of BS work, they tried to even things up.

There were a lot of clear calls that the Blues got away with (Petey's hand slashed while on a rush, two trips in front of the blues net, and IIRC Tanev taken down behind ours, all three trips impacting the play, for starters), I was shocked we got the 5-3 called.  I don't think the Blues deserved the goalie interference there, but there were plenty of real penalties the refs missed.

OT was even, IMO.  Blues got lucky about midway with a non-call (Hughes took a high-stick) then we got lucky late with a trip behind their net not called.

Why not? Thomas got bumped lightly by Myers, but he took a sudden surge to his right for no apparent reason to knock into Demko.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, koregen said:

I could not agree more, it almost feels like our coaching staff is working against our players instead of utilizing their talent. Year 1 Boeser was skating with the puck creating open ice, then he fell victim to the system. Year 1 Petterson was doing the same, now he is stationary as well. Year 1 Hughes is still unaffected but give it time before he gets trained into being a pylon.

I don't understand what's going on, but I don't like it.

This is my biggest gripe with this team. Systems are great for 5 on 5 breakouts, penalty kills and stuff like that, but offense should be free flowing, powerplay entries should be based off of what's given to you, etc. Movement should be the main system, not a structure. If skates are moving things will happen. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, MikeyD said:

This is my biggest gripe with this team. Systems are great for 5 on 5 breakouts, penalty kills and stuff like that, but offense should be free flowing, powerplay entries should be based off of what's given to you, etc. Movement should be the main system, not a structure. If skates are moving things will happen. 

Yes and no. Obviously players should (and do) read plays as they unfold as any situation would. Having a system offensively gives players an idea of where to be in certain situations so players know they can throw a puck somewhere and a player should be there ready for it. A perfect example is the Stecher goal. Virtanen likely meant to pass it to Sutter, but didn't connect, but Stecher was in the right spot to take the puck and finish it. Not sure if Virtanen meant it or not, but the system allowed it to work out. I believe this is part of the system because when Miller banked his goal in (some claimed he did it intentionally), he was making that same pass towards the right point and possibly reaching someone in the slot.

13 hours ago, luckylager said:

100%. Demko still challenges the puck a bit more than Marky (overplays) but reels himself back quickly.

The biggest change I've noticed in Marky's game since Clark came back is Marky stays in his crease, doesn't jump to challenge shots, is always in better position to make the 2nd or 3rd save by using far less energy on the first.

Rebound control is bit of a thing. But that's like &^@#ing impossible to master when guys are shooting 100kmh.

Again, 100%. Miller is the &^@#ing bomb. JB totally nailed it this off season.

Loui, Baer and Goldy are all on the outside now. I love Baer, love him, and thought the team was making a mistake by waiving him, but they're winning.

Goldy still holds some promise.

That's decent top 6 depth.

I disagree about Marky, I think he's just rangled in the timing on when to be aggressive. I found he was sitting on the goal line way too much when he was letting in goals, and now that he challenges the shooter more they're not going through him as much. I'm alright with Demko's aggression, his issue is his technical work with rebound control and staying compact sometimes. He was much better last night though. 

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

You really aren't saying that there are excuses for Miller's success are you? Did you see his deflection goal? He is in the right place at the right time and finishing. That's skill and he has proven in the past its not just this year. I think its a little narrow minded to say he is being gifted all these points. 

Even if this idea carried any kind of truth, not all of the Sedins line mates were successful even when they basically put the puck on their stick at the right time to score a goal. 

No, I am not saying that at all.    

Miller is a smart and crafty player that does a lot of great things.

My comment was more in defense of Pettersson and Boeser (ie why they haven’t exactly blown the roof off these past 6 games despite still being close to PPG players).