The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Oct. 17, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Got pretty excited when Green sent Leivo out fo the shootout.

Really wanted him to net that one - he's struggled, hasn't been able to convert on his opportunities, but is the kind of hard working depth that can contribute secondary scoring, that you can win with.

That was a beauty - hope it gets the (small) monkey off his back.

Also love seeing Motte back in the lineup - the guy is driven - a great puck hound - constantly takes away time and space - and has enough upside that he's a real asset two-ways imo.  Really enjoy watching the Beagle-Motte connection - and with the added depth, it's possible that line has a real quality linemate in due course (I've liked Schaller thus far, but realistically, guys like Motte and Roussel are an upgrade, and with the added forward depth, the 4th line could be a real force this year.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I disagree about Marky, I think he's just rangled in the timing on when to be aggressive. I found he was sitting on the goal line way too much when he was letting in goals, and now that he challenges the shooter more they're not going through him as much. I'm alright with Demko's aggression, his issue is his technical work with rebound control and staying compact sometimes. He was much better last night though. 

Given his age, he is looking like he is developing very well.  Markstrom didn't become a #1 goalie until Clark came on board, but Demko has the benefit of having the most fabulous goalie coach right from the beginning of his career.  Demko will likely reach his peak a lot sooner than Marky (who is 6yrs older). 

JB has to find a way to hang onto both goalies during the ED.  If the team loses Demko, they will be investing in a goalie that is turning 30 in January.  I just don't see Dipietro being anywhere near NHL ready that soon, so they would have to pay for a backup.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Got pretty excited when Green sent Leivo out fo the shootout.

Really wanted him to net that one - he's struggled, hasn't been able to convert on his opportunities, but is the kind of hard working depth that can contribute secondary scoring, that you can win with.

That was a beauty - hope it gets the (small) monkey off his back.

Also love seeing Motte back in the lineup - the guy is driven - a great puck hound - constantly takes away time and space - and has enough upside that he's a real asset two-ways imo.  Really enjoy watching the Beagle-Motte connection - and with the added depth, it's possible that line has a real quality linemate in due course (I've liked Schaller thus far, but realistically, guys like Motte and Roussel are an upgrade, and with the added forward depth, the 4th line could be a real force this year.

the look on his face was one of the best things I've seen in canuckland in awhile

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Oh another thing, this was Boeser's best game, even though the points didn't reflect it. He was really moving off of the puck and really helped his line tonight. I thought he had a good game overall. 

agreed and Petey finally had some fire last night even though he wasn't overly effective.

• Cheers 1

Just now, oldnews said:

thanks for posting that.

love when guys like him are recognized for how much they bring - would have loved to see him get that 2nd goal, but the post to Miller was fine as it worked out.

5 hits

3 takeaways

2 blocks

in 2 games = pretty much what you can expect from Motte - he's a character young guy that never stops working.

My favorite forwards from the previous (contending) era were guys like Higgins, Hansen, Burrows - nice to have another generation of that type of  player - guys that you can win with.

I also liked how Green experimented him on the 3rd line for a bit in the 3rd period. 

I know Motte had offensive flares in his collegiate career and he's still young and developing. 

He def reminds me of Burrows on how he worked his way into the line up, then, stable 4th liner then getting opportunities at 3rd. 

Not sure if he has the meanness of the Burrows but he does have similar wheels and better hands. 

Our top 9 will be pretty clogged tho. But it's always good to have different options. 

• Cheers 1

I'm not sure how it happened, but Motte was on at the same time as Petey near the end of the third.

This was something I had been hoping would be tried but it was just mixed line changes, I think.

Anyway, Motte was Mottering around and making space and getting the puck and then Petey had it for a second.

Just makes me hope that there is a special situation whereby Motte could be on Pettersson's line for a shift.

Even though he's a fourth liner, his determination and skill set could set Petey up for some goals.

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The "foundation" guys are sure driving this team right now (Edler, MIller, Sutter, Tanev, Beagle....).  Great mix / balance = good young core, good group of veteran support guys and excellent depth imo.

Fun group to watch.

Well done GMJB, coach Green, et al.

and that's how the Cup winners do it, they lean lard on veteran players.........luckily Van has great youth to go along with great vets

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I'm not sure how it happened, but Motte was on at the same time as Petey near the end of the third.

This was something I had been hoping would be tried but it was just mixed line changes, I think.

Anyway, Motte was Mottering around and making space and getting the puck and then Petey had it for a second.

Just makes me hope that there is a special situation whereby Motte could be on Pettersson's line for a shift.

Even though he's a fourth liner, his determination and skill set could set Petey up for some goals.

Yeah - Motte was in the Hobey Baker running for lots of reasons - as a junior (at 20 yrs old), he scored 32 goals and 56 pts for Michigan (+28) - with all those elements to his game beyond the upside (speed, grit, puck-hounding tenacity).

I think a lot of people seriously misread what happened early in his career.

First, Quenneville had a lot of belief/trust in him right from the get-go - he wasn't 'given up' on imo, he was coveted by Columbus - and likewise, I suspect the Canucks really targeted him when they had Vanek to dangle to a Columbus team that appeared to have the pieces to contend.

Being moved twice means nothing imo - the guy was a great pickup.  His 9 goals last year were strictly in hard minutes and on  the pk - imo he's the type of guy with a whole lot of uptick potential.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

he battled, but he wasn't all that effective, no.  He was very very tightly checked last night.

As a hockey guy...you should look at the big picture in that though.  Him being very very tightly checked opens up others.  So that, in itself, is effective.  Because he garners that kind of attention. 

He was pretty "effective" in the 3 on 3...even if that didn't produce the result (goal to win the game).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1