The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Oct. 17, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

As a hockey guy...you should look at the big picture in that though.  Him being very very tightly checked opens up others.  So that, in itself, is effective.  Because he garners that kind of attention. 

He was pretty "effective" in the 3 on 3...even if that didn't produce the result (goal to win the game).

never said anything different.  He battled hard last night and we saw some fire in his belly.  I had no issue with his game

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

and that's how the Cup winners do it, they lean lard on veteran players.........luckily Van has great youth to go along with great vets

I think it's really encouraging to grind out wins - particularly on the road, against an opponent like that - particularly when your 'stars' aren't necessarily clicking.

it was a great, level kind of win where lots of guys contribute - including a rookie goaltender who stepped up and kept them in striking range when St L might have managed that 4th goal that may have sealed it.  no real weak spots in the lineup anymore.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Cup2022 said:

22 minutes +2 with an assist not effective?

Says a lot about Petey to me. Even when he is being tightly checked and doesn't have much space to get his shot away, he still ended up on the score sheet and was relied upon for a lot of minutes.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

he battled, but he wasn't all that effective, no.  He was very very tightly checked last night.

This season in general, I think he took a lot of focus away from other players. And that in itself is pretty effective I think.

I don't think the team (mainly JT; not trying to take anything away from him tho) would have had that kind of success without EP40 taking away a guy or two to shadow him around the ice. 

His numbers don't do the justice in defining his season. (Not yet)

Here is a scary good thing.

We are above .500 without EP40, Boeser and Bo tearing it up out there.

We are expected to get better as season goes on. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m noticing Jake has greatly improved his board play.  Practicing against really good board players like Miller, Ferland, Etc is making all or guys better. 

Also liking that line with both ferland and jake gritty and throwing bodies almost like ferland motivates jake 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

never said anything different.  He battled hard last night and we saw some fire in his belly.  I had no issue with his game

even though he wasn't overly effective.

Maybe not, but I don't think you recognized his contribution.  The effort, yes...but it is effective even if it isn't rewarded individually.  Which is what I love about him...he cares about winning, not about his own stats.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

This season in general, I think he took a lot of focus away from other players. And that in itself is pretty effective I think.

I don't think the team (mainly JT; not trying to take anything away from him tho) would have had that kind of success without EP40 taking away a guy or two to shadow him around the ice. 

That's a good observation. Teams are keying in on Boeser and Pettersson, which is giving Miller more space and he's on a tear. That first line is tough to defend against, all three guys can shoot and make plays. If defenders over commit to one or two guys, the third will burn them.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Exactly.  Thing is, some teams with "star players" don't have success because/when-if they play as individuals.  This team's showing an unselfishness and an overall 'team first' mentality that means doing what it takes to WIN, not necessarily just score.  That's exactly my point...Petey draws the attention to him which opens the door for others.  The things he does that aren't glaring are equally as important and...effective.  Then there's how hard he plays, defensively, in a situation like 3 on 3.  Kid's all heart.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

you know a guy is talented when he's cruising along at a ppg - and most of us 'know'/feel/can see that nevertheless, he's still waiting to break out haha. 

but it's no mistake imo that Elder is at 6 pts in 6 games - they are keying so much on shutting down EP - and the cross-ice to Boeser - particularly on the powerplay - that Edler is left to let it go - and he is.  This is where having those new net-front presences really pays off imo - between Horvat, Pearson, Miller, Ferland - there is a wealth of guys to create screens, feed on tips etc - as Kesler used to when teams overplayed the Sedins - to the point, and Ehrhoff would simply get the puck through.  Edler has not only looked great on the powerplay, but I also love the chemistry/fit that Myers provides - and that frees up Tanev to complement Hughes.  So many solid additions to the build that imo take the pressure off guys like EP - who can still produce a ppg even when he's not necessarily at the top of his game.

Me too (re Edler and Myers).  There's a real trickle down effect happening here and it's fantastic.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

On a deep bone bruise? would that actually help?

Ice and anti inflammatory

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it can cure a LOT of stuff like bones and tendons and nerves.... it's not an instant treatment but it's so magical that it'll fix up your body over time... 

57 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

An okay game, it had it's moments.

Demko looks like he really got into a groove after the third goal.

It is eerie how much the team has the same stats as last year, 6 games - 4 wins - 22 GF and 19 GA, the difference being 5 goals against but then the schedule is easier than last year.

A 26% reduction in goals against is where the similarity ends. Allowing almost a goal a game less, if sustained, can only lead to better days ahead for the team.

Also didn’t really notice the easier schedule this year. Three at home, three on the road. 

Cup champs, Flames, improved Oil and Flyers. I’m reading the tea leaves a bit differently than some.

GCG:gocan:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Maybe not, but I don't think you recognized his contribution.  The effort, yes...but it is effective even if it isn't rewarded individually.  Which is what I love about him...he cares about winning, not about his own stats.

EP CF 78.88 last night highest on team some people don't see the big picture only the points