The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to axe the power play coach?

Rate this topic

koregen

Although I agree with most of your post. We have won 4 games in a row PP or not, I don’t think anyone gets axed. It might be something they look at tweaking in the off-season but for now it’s just going to have to play out. Let’s just hope they start to figure something out. Also I think Hughes plays on the second unit for awhile yet. He gives the second unit an actual chance of scoring

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Although I agree with most of your post. We have won 4 games in a row PP or not, I don’t think anyone gets axed. It might be something they look at tweaking in the off-season but for now it’s just going to have to play out. Let’s just hope they start to figure something out. Also I think Hughes plays on the second unit for awhile yet. He gives the second unit an actual chance of scoring

It's a repeating pattern of simplicity under the direction of this coach, our players are being handcuffed because they have to respect him as a coach and play accordingly.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, koregen said:

Our talented squad is playing like a bunch of stationery pylons under his direction. Recall Boeser in his 1st year he was skating around and creating open ice, do the same for Petterson in his 1st year. Then they got coached and bought into this overly simple system of hold your position and pass the puck around. We still have Quinn Hughes who has not been tainted by this failing strategy so we need to utilize him to get some movement going.

We got lucky with a couple of power play goals from the point, but we can't count on those.

This coach is having a bad influence on our players and it's time to move on to someone better, it should not be hard to find someone that can think beyond just a formation.

Ultimately it is TG who is responsible for the power play you complain of. Still want to replace him?

1 minute ago, koregen said:

It's a repeating pattern of simplicity under the direction of this coach, our players are being handcuffed because they have to respect him as a coach and play accordingly.

I don’t disagree I just don’t see it happening during the season. How often do you see an assistant coach fired on a winning team during the regular season 

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Ultimately it is TG who is responsible for the power play you complain of. Still want to replace him?

I was under the impression, we have a PP coach correct me if I'm wrong. I like Travis Green for many reasons but if he is in charge of the PP, I don't like that.

Edited by koregen

7 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Would be better to just give the first unit a better chance of scoring though.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 'NucK™ said:

Would be better to just give the first unit a better chance of scoring though.

That’s fair. Like most of us here I’m a huge fan of Hughes and would love that. But I think that’s one of the reasons he’s on the second unit. At the end of the day he will be there soon enough 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Yes we do but ultimately it is TG's team and he can change the pp any time he wants.

I definitely do not want to axe TG, he is awesome in many ways, perhaps he needs an assistant that can take over PP duties.

I've never once said to fire Newell Brown in the years, all I've ever said about the PP before is things need change, like who's on the PP, or how they set up, or how they position some of the players on the unit, I did support Brown when the Sedins were here. But I have finally jumped on the wagon here, and Browns time is done, it's just to stale they need someone new, with new fresh ideas, no way should a PP be getting 0 shots when they have the man advantage, it's time for a new PP coach.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Isn't Newell Brown the PP coach?

Yes

17 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Yes we do but ultimately it is TG's team and he can change the pp any time he wants.

Not really. Well in my management experience at least.

If you look at it like you would in a management group, your manager (head coach) isn't going to cut the balls off his asstistants; Asst Managers get their butts fired then the manager implements his own plan until a new asst is hired.

New Asst goes about tweaking systems, under supervision, for a couple months until they're given autonomy in their areas of responsibility.

I'm not a fan of Brown. I wanted him fired last year. Same with Baumer.

But when the TEAM is actually "winning" it totally disrupts momentum to make any substantial changes.

That being said, our PP is static and boring AF. I've been saying for ages that the set isn't fluid enough and doesn't make the opposing keeper move laterally enough. Half wall roll, look cross ice 1 time, pass to the point, shoot, hope for a deflection or rebound chance. Boring and ineffective when facing the best players in the world.

When I think about the best PP's, there's player and puck movement. You might see a point man and high slot shooter being rather stationary, but there's three other guys cycling the puck and rotating through positions while moving the puck.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I have been saying that Brown needs to be let go last season when it is becoming clear that he cannot adjust the PP, even the change up the players like Edler for Quinn or whoever.   Despite scoring twice from Wings game and they still don't look good in second half of in the game with PP time late.  It is not too late to change up coaching despite winning streak.  If Brown is personally responsible for powerplay but not doing any other roles as an assistant coach, he needs to be let go but if he is responsible for PP and some areas in coaching for 5 on 5 plays then keep him and let someone else take over the PP.   There are a few former head coaches sitting around and is not doing anything but has experience as a PP coach in past could inject some fresh ideas in the league, hire him for the season.   Failure to score a 5 on 3 opportunities early in the season is a red flag.