The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to axe the power play coach?

Rate this topic

koregen

While I agree the PP (particularly first unit) could use a bit more movement, a LOT of last night falls on simple poor execution IMO. The questionable ice last night likely didn't help but there was a lot of bad passes (off the mark and/or ill timed and /or aimed), giveaways and shots in to shin pads that headed the other way.

Brown isn't coaching them to do those things.

Players need to execute.

Also, give STL credit. Like us, they PK'd quite well. They gave very little space and were very active in passing and shooting lanes. It was not easy to gain entry and once there, they were very effective at taking away shots and passes.

Edited by aGENT

Isn't the PP coach also the PK coach? (special teams) The PP isn't so bad, and I believe it will get better. Pettersson take too long to shoot IMO. He tends to wait a second when he gets the puck in the slot, quickly analyzes where he wants to shoot, then slings a wrister, usually glove high. Predicable. He needs to work on his one-timer.   

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

While I agree the PP (particularly first unit) could use a bit more movement, a LOT of last night falls on simple poor execution IMO. The questionable ice last night likely didn't help but there was a lot of bad passes (off the mark and/or ill timed and /or aimed), giveaways and shots in to shin pads that headed the other way.

Brown isn't coaching them to do those things.

Players need to execute.

Also, give STL credit. Like us, they PK'd quite well. They gave very little space and were very active in passing and shooting lanes. It was not easy to gain entry and once there, they were very effective at taking away shots and passes.

I just feel that  Tuesday night  Leivo was  taken off the first pp and Miller was in, the pp play was much better, then last night they put Leivo in and the pp was awful. I like Leivo , but he does not belong on the pp

12 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't understand why Petey isn't at the 1T spot on the 5 on 3. Why do you have him down low??? There's 1 FWD. And if they attack its a 4 on 2. Instead they have him down around the hash mark/bottom of the circle with Edler as the shooter. Makes no sense. 

Pylon poor skater who hits shin pads vs. elite scorer -- yes, you make sense, lol.

• Thanks 1

im pretty sure newell has no idea what way his players sticks face when they are on the ice. Its really hard to shoot the puck when you keep passing it to people on their off sides. It isnt 2010 anymore, we dont have to deal with 3 left shots on a line anymore.

11 hours ago, Viper007 said:

In reality, although it won't show on the scoresheet, the canucks scored on the 5 on 3.  It may not have looked pretty but at least they scored.  In fact it's pretty much 2 goals that they've scored right when time has expired on the PP.  It should really be another 2 goals added to the PP total.

My daddy used to always say "No ifs ands or buts. Get er dun". You can if and or but a lot of things. Bottom line is the PP isn't getting it done. And if goals are being scored at the end of PPs it's cause our regular lines or our 2nd unit is getting it done while the 1st unit kills 90 seconds off the PP. Which still lends itself to the fact the PP coaching is not good. Our goals shouldn't be primarily coming at the end of PPs when the 2nd unit or the next 5 on 5 line goes out there.

The way the PP is being used is actually booty cheeks, and not the good kind of booty cheeks. The hairy, pimply kind of booty cheeks that just makes you throw up in your mouth. That's what it's like watching the 1st unit most nights when they waste 60 seconds trying to get into the zone, then waste 30 seconds doing nothing before getting a weak scoring chance off before it gets slapped down the ice and the 2nd unit or the 3rd lines comes on for the last 15-30 seconds of the PP.

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I just feel that  Tuesday night  Leivo was  taken off the first pp and Miller was in, the pp play was much better, then last night they put Leivo in and the pp was awful. I like Leivo , but he does not belong on the pp

That's fair. The rest of the guys still need to execute though, which they're not, consistently.

That's not on Leivo.

20 minutes ago, brownky said:

:lol:

The best time to ditch the PP coach was yesterday. The next best time is right now.

Considering the players are all...rooted... to one spot...

ahhh? ahhhhh?

;)

i thought this was gonna be a thread about aftershave.

but for a PP to make crisp clean passes consistently wouldn't this be a good thing on a good PP?

22 minutes ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

i thought this was gonna be a thread about aftershave.

but for a PP to make crisp clean passes consistently wouldn't this be a good thing on a good PP?

giphy.gif

Oddly, that’s the same reaction when I see Edler skate up for the drop pass with a PKer waiting to try to intercept it 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Our powerplay is too predictable. With the talent we have we should be a top half powerplay team. If i see the drop pass one more time im gonna puke...

I agree, I cringe when I see the "Edler Drop", and I notice that almost all teams (if not all) use this technique. Even Hughes uses it at times, but I did also see Hughes do something different yesterday, he carried it up himself (and it worked). I think teams are prepared for this silly little drop pass, but I love that Hughes had the gumption to do something different. He's such a wild card, can do things most NHL Dmen can't. Canucks should definitely use this to their advantage.  

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, I cringe when I see the "Edler Drop", and I notice that almost all teams (if not all) use this technique. Even Hughes uses it at times, but I did also see Hughes do something different yesterday, he carried it up himself (and it worked). I think teams are prepared for this silly little drop pass, but I love that Hughes had the gumption to do something different. He's such a wild card, can do things most NHL Dmen can't. Canucks should definitely use this to their advantage.  

No, we must coach any and all creativity and offense out of our team. We must only play defense!

av2.jpg

Edited by EP-40

I guess there's always something to complain about even after 4 straight wins.

Funny how when the PP does score, there's a ton of support for the players or excuses are made like it's against a bad team. Perhaps the PP is fine and the better teams simply have strong PKs?

As for EP, if he's always in the same shooting spot as many seem to want him to be, isnt that just rooting him to one spot? They want to develop EP as a passing threat too so it opens up his shot. Teams know he can shoot and have closed that shot. It's a season long chess match where if the PP can be effective elsewhere other than through EP's shot then the PK has to respect that which opens up EP for that look again. Right now Boeser needs to get his shot going again. The positive is that teams will have to track Miller more now that he's been on fire and the ice should start opening up for guys like EP and BB.

15 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Hey, at least we aren't the Senators.

They have a 0% powerplay after 6 games, lol

Also the Devils are 4% after 7 games, Stars are 4.2% after 8 games, Ducks are at 5.5% and Kings are at 8.2% in 7 games.

So by that comparison our healthy 16.7% which is tied for 23rd in the league is quite respectable!

In other news, the Oilers, Bruins and Sabres are coming in at a whopping (and fully sustainable) 45.5%, 38.1% and 35.5% respectively. Each team, unsurprisingly, only has 1 loss.

And the Hurricanes have garbage numbers for special teams and are 3rd place in the league.

But as you know it is still early in the season and the sample size cannot yet accurately reflect the longer term efficiency of special teams.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that Marc Crawford isn't there anymore.....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

It seems as though he's still using the same static PP setups he used with the Sedins. Which catered to their lack of speed as their careers wound down. Frustrating to watch.

ScaryUnhealthyDog-size_restricted.gif

That actually looks more productive :lol: at least the 3 forwards are the ones leading the play, instead of the lone defender back there to drop it back again :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2