The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to axe the power play coach?

Rate this topic

koregen

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah the drop pass is ridiculous, it was because the Sedins weren't fast skaters to be rushing the puck into the zone, so they utilized another way for them to open up ice to go in at their pace, now that they're not here and we have quicker players, they shouldn't be using that style of play anymore, hence why Newell Brown isn't the right fit for these new guys.

Actually the first team to do this was Detroit when they were the #1 team back in the day.  Every team is a copycat team.

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I never said they were the first team though......

You said it was because of the Sedins, which is also not the case.  Every team utilizes the drop pass so I guess every team should fire their PP coaches.

• Cheers 1

On 10/17/2019 at 9:11 PM, Devron44 said:

Although I agree with most of your post. We have won 4 games in a row PP or not, I don’t think anyone gets axed. It might be something they look at tweaking in the off-season but for now it’s just going to have to play out. Let’s just hope they start to figure something out. Also I think Hughes plays on the second unit for awhile yet. He gives the second unit an actual chance of scoring

Special teams are the difference makers in hockey games. When teams are evenly matched 5v5 a dominant PP can be the difference between a win and a loss. The current PP is ineffective and the success rate is unacceptable. There is no time to "wait and see", if we continue at this pace we won't make the playoffs. I don't know about you but I would much rather figure it out now and make the playoffs than "let it play out" and make coaching changes in the off season after we miss the big show again.

Edited by CptCanuck16

3 hours ago, Viper007 said:

You said it was because of the Sedins, which is also not the case.  Every team utilizes the drop pass so I guess every team should fire their PP coaches.

Yes I did say that, and why the drop pass is still utilized in the Canucks PP to this day, without the Sedins in the lineup anymore because Newell Brown is still here. Back in 2010-11 he brought it into the system for the Canucks and what happened.... they went to the Stanley Cup Finals, so it worked for when the Sedins were here, and then brought it back again in 2017 when he signed here again, but he did leave in 2013.

Not every team relies on it as their, go to move though.

44 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yes I did say that, and why the drop pass is still utilized in the Canucks PP to this day, without the Sedins in the lineup anymore because Newell Brown is still here. Back in 2010-11 he brought it into the system for the Canucks and what happened.... they went to the Stanley Cup Finals, so it worked for when the Sedins were here, and then brought it back again in 2017 when he signed here again, but he did leave in 2013.

Not every team relies on it as their, go to move though.

I found the endless egg-scrambling cycle nauseating.  I watched an AV run practice back in that day and he definitely played towards their puck possession strength.

But I am more of a north-south philosophy with high pressure and a lot of speed leading towards either outmanned situations or causing a goalie to move east-west, or a shot off the opposite legpad. 

It seemed like AV and NB just wanted the forwards to throw it into the corner, d to pinch, and then start a cycle. I partially get their philosophy, especially when you had Luongo to practice against every day. Luongo was so difficult to score on one-on-one that you needed the cycle to create redirections.  But once other teams started to understand and prepare to counter our cycle, our PP diminished.  

I guess the point of all of this is that you have to play to your team's strength. Our team has amazing potential to do a lot of damage, and they have started to get things figured out.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jmfaminoff said:

I found the endless egg-scrambling cycle nauseating.  I watched an AV run practice back in that day and he definitely played towards their puck possession strength.

But I am more of a north-south philosophy with high pressure and a lot of speed leading towards either outmanned situations or causing a goalie to move east-west, or a shot off the opposite legpad. 

It seemed like AV and NB just wanted the forwards to throw it into the corner, d to pinch, and then start a cycle. I partially get their philosophy, especially when you had Luongo to practice against every day. Luongo was so difficult to score on one-on-one that you needed the cycle to create redirections.  But once other teams started to understand and prepare to counter our cycle, our PP diminished.  

I guess the point of all of this is that you have to play to your team's strength. Our team has amazing potential to do a lot of damage, and they have started to get things figured out.  

That right there is the difference between the Sedins area of the PP under Newell Brown, and the era we have now under Newell Brown, we should be playing it more like what you have said, instead of the old Sedin slower one. 

Hughes I think will now save Browns job for the rest of the year, glad they finally budged on that. I believe his hockey IQ in general plus his outlet passing abilities, will just change the speed and quickness of the PP all together. With all the other young, quick and skilled players around him, they will eventually just start taking it over, but Hughes with this IQ and quarter backing that, is very beneficial imo. Plus he's got the speed and sense to rush it up if he feels like it, let him fly, it's a new era and time to adapt to the strengths of the players you have now like you said.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Special teams are the difference makers in hockey games. When teams are evenly matched 5v5 a dominant PP can be the difference between a win and a loss. The current PP is ineffective and the success rate is unacceptable. There is no time to "wait and see", if we continue at this pace we won't make the playoffs. I don't know about you but I would much rather figure it out now and make the playoffs than "let it play out" and make coaching changes in the off season after we miss the big show again.

The current PP is a bit different then last year. I agree it needs to produce but it hasn’t been very crisp either however it’s structured you still have to make a pass on the tape and move it quickly. That is on the players as well to find a rhythm. I’m not defending the coach I personally don’t like the drop pass but you can’t necessarily point the finger at one person either. I’ve based my comments on history of the game, what I’ve seen and these things (firing a coach) don’t happen very often with a team is winning 

It’s funny how the expectations have grown so quickly. These are kids running the PP vs Veteran penalty killers on most nights.  It’s easy just to write up a thread because your mad the PP hasn’t been clicking at 20% to start the season. 

22 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

The current PP is a bit different then last year. I agree it needs to produce but it hasn’t been very crisp either however it’s structured you still have to make a pass on the tape and move it quickly. That is on the players as well to find a rhythm. I’m not defending the coach I personally don’t like the drop pass but you can’t necessarily point the finger at one person either. I’ve based my comments on history of the game, what I’ve seen and these things (firing a coach) don’t happen very often with a team is winning 

It’s funny how the expectations have grown so quickly. These are kids running the PP vs Veteran penalty killers on most nights.  It’s easy just to write up a thread because your mad the PP hasn’t been clicking at 20% to start the season. 

Last year's PP was converting at a 17.7% clip, which was 24th in the league. The only team with a worse conversion rate than that that actually made the playoffs was Nashville. Special teams are IMPORTANT. 

Right now we're at 12.6%. I would give it until the 20 game mark. If we can't claw our way above 20% by then drastic measures will need to be taken because statistically if we don't get into the 20% range we won't make the playoffs. With all the talent we have, the solid D core this year, and the phenomenal goal tending I would rather not write off yet another season. Sometimes you just have to shake things up, get some new blood in there, a fresh pair of eyes. 

Yes, it's only 8 games into the season and yes we just had a 4 game winning streak but we're only 5-3-0. I would hardly call that a winning team at this point. If we are at or around .500 by game 20 and the power play is still one of the worst in the league then Newell Brown should go. Period. IMHO OFC ::D

21 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Last year's PP was converting at a 17.7% clip, which was 24th in the league. The only team with a worse conversion rate than that that actually made the playoffs was Nashville. Special teams are IMPORTANT. 

Right now we're at 12.6%. I would give it until the 20 game mark. If we can't claw our way above 20% by then drastic measures will need to be taken because statistically if we don't get into the 20% range we won't make the playoffs. With all the talent we have, the solid D core this year, and the phenomenal goal tending I would rather not write off yet another season. Sometimes you just have to shake things up, get some new blood in there, a fresh pair of eyes. 

Yes, it's only 8 games into the season and yes we just had a 4 game winning streak but we're only 5-3-0. I would hardly call that a winning team at this point. If we are at or around .500 by game 20 and the power play is still one of the worst in the league then Newell Brown should go. Period. IMHO OFC ::D

I can agree with the 20 game mark. Makes more sense 

• Upvote 1

I don't think the power play issues are related to Newell Brown's system, but rather the fact that the team execution has not been up to the same standard as last year.

For instance, in a recent game, Elias Pettersson had about 7 or 8 shot attempts on the PP, and at least 6 missed the net (high or wide). Maybe he is just holding the stick too tight or trying too hard to pick the corners? Elias said he is well aware that he needs to get more shots on net and he's been practicing his shot hard in the last few days - I'm sure he will work things out.

I think the PP unit needs to work a bit on zone entries too.

Edited by SuitcaseSmith

The Canucks have been winning and entertaining, but I was surprised to read somewhere that the Canucks are still the 6th worst team at giving up even strength scoring chances and that the Canucks have given up the 6th worst chances while short handed as well

This leads to believe that with near average goaltending we could not be where we are

That a 87.5% start percentage for our goalies is not sustainable

they also had a .956 short handed save percentage which is not sustainable as well

So is it the System they are playing?

The coaching and decisions of players and utilizing them ?

The players they have ?

The defence ?

The goalies have been saving the coaching staff and players right now, without the wins from the goaltending, people would be pointing to the players who let the goal being scored or the coaching or system

If they can improve from those 6th worst categories and not be relying on the goaltending,they already have the 3rd best penalty kill, they could be a Very good team by that reasoning

It is up to the management and the coaches to turn those stats around, something that has been a problem for years now (with them in charge)

The wins have been nice but have been masking an underlying problem that will be exposed without changing something

The power play was designed to facilitate using Edler, but there is no doubt the recent coaches tend to stifle talented young players. There used to be a philosophy in coaching rookies that they need to be brought along slowly. The problem is guys like Pettersen  and Hughes have high hockey IQ and see the game better than most. They should not be sitting on the bench. Coaches never had Gretsky sitting during power plays. Sometimes NHL coaches overthink what is actually a simple game. There is plenty of talent on the Canucks now and hopefully management doesn't squander it. The best 5 players should always be on the "power play". Movement (skating) is what its all about.

On 10/22/2019 at 9:17 AM, ba;;isticsports said:

The Canucks have been winning and entertaining, but I was surprised to read somewhere that the Canucks are still the 6th worst team at giving up even strength scoring chances and that the Canucks have given up the 6th worst chances while short handed as well

This leads to believe that with near average goaltending we could not be where we are

That a 87.5% start percentage for our goalies is not sustainable

they also had a .956 short handed save percentage which is not sustainable as well

So is it the System they are playing?

The coaching and decisions of players and utilizing them ?

The players they have ?

The defence ?

The goalies have been saving the coaching staff and players right now, without the wins from the goaltending, people would be pointing to the players who let the goal being scored or the coaching or system

If they can improve from those 6th worst categories and not be relying on the goaltending,they already have the 3rd best penalty kill, they could be a Very good team by that reasoning

It is up to the management and the coaches to turn those stats around, something that has been a problem for years now (with them in charge)

The wins have been nice but have been masking an underlying problem that will be exposed without changing something

Don't trust everything you read from the media and watch the games, canucks are having alot of scoring chances and it's why we are scoring alot. Do we give up some good opportunities in the process? yes. But if you watch the games the ice is pretty tilted most games.