The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CBC News reports the Conservatives hire firm to destroy Bernier and the PPC

mpt

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So I post a source that refutes your claim and you rebut with "I heard it on a podcast"?

No-one (of any repute) is saying "We'll all be dead", and it can still be a crisis, without such a doomsday prediction. The consensus is rising sea levels and more intense weather phenomena (Hurricanes, floods, wildfires) which is already happening. The "crisis" arises with people's downplaying of the gravity of the situation, which is exactly what DeGrasse-Tyson laments in the article I linked to.

And none of the proposals to fight climate change will actually change anything.  It’s politcal pandering for votes.  If the answer doesn’t involve energy from India and China, you won’t even put a dent in the problem.   Using the term crisis, is fear mongering something the left accuses the right of doing all the time.  I’d trust words out of DeGrasse-Tyson’s actual mouth than an article from a biased CNN who panders to a specific ideology.  There was also over 500 scientists who informed the U.N. there is no crisis and yet they say it’s overwhelming that there is.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/29/scientists-tell-un-global-climate-summit-no-emerge/

Again the crisis is political pandering.  I’m not denying climate change, it is happening, it is mostly from human influence, their proposals won’t change a damn thing and it’s main focus is for political purposes.  Finally capitalism has the best chance at solving this problem not government forcing people to do things that won’t even dent the problem.

Edited by mpt
  • Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Dazzle said:

What's weird is that Ignatieff WAS well-known to be an intellectual. His politics ended up being so bland that no one liked him.

People don't want an intellectual. They want someone relatable/as dumb as they are. Think back to the 2004 election in the States. It was George Bush vs John Kerry.

Republicans convinced people to vote 'for the guy you'd most want to have a beer with'. Like the guy running the largest economy and fighting force on the planet has time to suck down a Coors lite with Jimmy the mailman from Peoria.

George Carlin said it best "think of how dumb the average person is, then realize half of them are even dumber than that".

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, mpt said:

And none of the proposals to fight climate change will actually change anything.  It’s politcal pandering for votes.  If the answer doesn’t involve energy from India and China, you won’t even put a dent in the problem.   Using the term crisis, is fear mongering something the left accuses the right of doing all the time.  I’d trust words out of DeGrasse-Tyson’s actual mouth than an article from a biased CNN who panders to a specific ideology.  There was also over 500 scientists who informed the U.N. there is no crisis and yet they say it’s overwhelming that there is.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/29/scientists-tell-un-global-climate-summit-no-emerge/

Again the crisis is political pandering.  I’m not denying climate change, it is happening, it is mostly from human influence, their proposals won’t change a damn thing and it’s main focus is for political purposes.  Finally capitalism has the best chance at solving this problem not government forcing people to do things that won’t even dent the problem.

I'm not rendering an opinion (one way or the other) since I don't know enough about the subject matter but I wonder why there seems to be a fair number of those scientists that signed that thing who are geologists?  As I said, I'm ignorant on the topic & was just curious.

1 hour ago, mpt said:

I posted the words "out of Degrasse Tyson's mouth". You did not. You posted what you claim he said, which I don't believe.

If you can post a video, or an article with a direct quote from NDT saying that Climate Change "is not a crisis", I'd love to see it, but I'll bet you can't.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mpt said:

I usually agree with you on many things, but this I cannot - not with the bolded as your line of reasoning. The fact that you trust capitalism to fix this problem is where you are not correct. There are many ways that can fix this problem, but they are usually VERY anti-capitalist (i.e. the Green party), and it would not be a fun day for anyone who has a bit of money that he/she wants to use. It's far too extreme. There HAS to be a happy medium. If you leave it to capitalists, they will burn the crap out of the earth of its resources before realizing it's too late.

To be honest, I think it's already too late. We as humans are still arguing over the dumbest things - see the US as an example. The US and China - both of which are polarizing (and CAPITALIST) countries to say the least, are the worst of the polluters. If they can't fix their wrongs in their own country, what hope do we have that the Earth will be saved? Even if Canada implemented severe environmental policies, we'd minimally help the Earth. The issue isn't entirely our fault, though we have a role to play.

Edited by Dazzle

On 10/20/2019 at 6:26 PM, Dazzle said:

I usually agree with you on many things, but this I cannot - not with the bolded as your line of reasoning. The fact that you trust capitalism to fix this problem is where you are not correct. There are many ways that can fix this problem, but they are usually VERY anti-capitalist (i.e. the Green party), and it would not be a fun day for anyone who has a bit of money that he/she wants to use. It's far too extreme. There HAS to be a happy medium. If you leave it to capitalists, they will burn the crap out of the earth of its resources before realizing it's too late.

To be honest, I think it's already too late. We as humans are still arguing over the dumbest things - see the US as an example. The US and China - both of which are polarizing (and CAPITALIST) countries to say the least, are the worst of the polluters. If they can't fix their wrongs in their own country, what hope do we have that the Earth will be saved? Even if Canada implemented severe environmental policies, we'd minimally help the Earth. The issue isn't entirely our fault, though we have a role to play.

The last data available is from 2017. The U.S. reduced emissions by 1.5%. The E.U. increased emmsions by 1%. *Somebody* is getting the job done without pandering to globalist whining points. 

Edited by Jack Fig
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

The last data available is from 2017. The U.S. reduced emissions by 1.5%. The E.U. increased emmsions by 1%. *Somebody* is getting the job done without pandering to globalist whining points. 

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/latest-inventory-us-greenhouse-gas-emissions-and-sinks-shows-long-term-reductions

From April 2019.

But in the same year 2017, a Forbes article talked about China's emissions going up 50 percent, and India's going up 88 percent.

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/latest-inventory-us-greenhouse-gas-emissions-and-sinks-shows-long-term-reductions

I still don't think we are doing enough as humanity.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

From April 2019.

But in the same year 2017, a Forbes article talked about China's emissions going up 50 percent, and India's going up 88 percent.

I still don't think we are doing enough as humanity.

IMO I think Canada should worry more about how the world is doing in terms of emissions instead of themselves.

That year China alone contributed to 27.51% of all emissions with the US 2nd with 14.75%. That's over 40% of the entire world's contributions with those two countries alone. Meanwhile Canada was at 1.63%. We could cut all emissions as a country and barely make a dent. Need to garner support with other countries in order to cut emissions substantially.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

Emissions are dropping in the US because coal use is dropping. https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124083_co2-emissions-in-us-could-fall-again-in-2019-federal-agency-reports

This is something that *Somebody* promised to make sure wouldn't happen.

The "job is getting done" in spite of him, not because of him.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO I think Canada should worry more about how the world is doing in terms of emissions instead of themselves.

That year China alone contributed to 27.51% of all emissions with the US 2nd with 14.75%. That's over 40% of the entire world's contributions with those two countries alone. Meanwhile Canada was at 1.63%. We could cut all emissions as a country and barely make a dent. Need to garner support with other countries in order to cut emissions substantially.

We are doing well for the emissions thingy.  We need to build pipelines and shipping ports, so we can export our oil and gas to world markets.  The world consumes 100 million barrels of oil per day.  We  need to sell more!!!!  Let's get a bigger share in that world market!!!!  Make money!!!!  Then spend money on government programs.  Don't borrow for social programs.  Borrow to build infrastructure that will generate dollars.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Emissions are dropping in the US because coal use is dropping. https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124083_co2-emissions-in-us-could-fall-again-in-2019-federal-agency-reports

This is something that *Somebody* promised to make sure wouldn't happen.

The "job is getting done" in spite of him, not because of him.

I meant the U.S. in general .... you know, the country from whom the UN takes the most money and then bitches about. 

• Upvote 1