The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New Jersey Devils | Oct. 19, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Its 10am start for the Canucks (pacific) and a 1pm start for the Devils.  So a bit of a difference imo.

That would be like us starting our games at 10pm pacific (not crazy late for us) and 1am eastern.

Stupid time for NHL games imo. I hate them.

Canucks were in STL on Wednesday (1 hour time difference from NJ), and in NJ late Thursday night, I believe. The time difference shouldn't matter a whole lot. It`s not like they flew in from VAN last night and had to adjust to the 3-hour difference. It was a close game, but it`s a game they should`ve won. Maybe they started out too relaxed, knowing NJ hasn't been playing well? And so many primo shooting chances and missing the net. A couple of those go in and it`s a different result. 

• Wat 1

NBA or NHL it's all the same to Bettman, just shooting something into a net is all he understands.

I got an even sicker feeling following today's loss, the thought of Louie being pencilled in for tomorrow. Dunno what made me think of it but it scares me!

3 minutes ago, 6string said:

NBA or NHL it's all the same to Bettman, just shooting something into a net is all he understands.

I got an even sicker feeling following today's loss, the thought of Louie being pencilled in for tomorrow. Dunno what made me think of it but it scares me!

Schaller or Motte will sit for Gaudette is my feeling. 

• Upvote 1

frustrating game to watch! and i don't even think we took them lightly too, we were the much better team imo. 

this was such a Canuck story line. Hughes vs Hughes and Jack gets the only goal in a 1-0 borefest, shut out by terrible Devils team with a terrible goaltender that couldn't stop a beach ball prior to this game.

Petey and Bo needs to be better if we're going to be a serious playoff team. Petey keeps falling down and trying to score the perfect goal, he needs to work on his balance and battle level. Bo on the other hand seems to be dragging down Leivo and Pearson when they are cycling. 

Green should consider splitting Brock and Petey cause they are both struggling and trying to find each other way too much.

Great performance by Demko that was wasted, this should've been an ez two points if our PP didnt suck. 

why do they take so many damn point shots on the PP? we are outnumbering them but instead of getting closer to the net for a quick bang bang play, we take a 40+ foot shot from the blueline?! insanity. 

they better pound the Rangers tomorrow, dont let these bad teams hang around. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks were in STL on Wednesday (1 hour time difference from NJ), and in NJ late Thursday night, I believe. The time difference shouldn't matter a whole lot. It`s not like they flew in from VAN last night and had to adjust to the 3-hour difference. It was a close game, but it`s a game they should`ve won. Maybe they started out too relaxed, knowing NJ hasn't been playing well? And so many primo shooting chances and missing the net. A couple of those go in and it`s a different result. 

I didn't see them relaxed at the start...they actually came out with some jump and seemed prepared.

Morning, road game...I also don't agree it was a "should" win...it wasn't going to be easy despite the opponent.  Teams are tough in their own rink and the officiating was awful so that was a thing.  But our PP was even worse...so that's a bigger thing.  Plus a good goal called off that would have changed the face of the game.  But spilled milk.  Move on and do better.

A lot of blocked shots by NJ (23?!...really??)...teams are doing that but it'll take a toll over time.

I feel we try to set up a lot of one timers and that gives the other team too much time to also set up...especially if a pass goes awry.  I feel like we need more net crashing and causing chaos rather than passing around the perimeter, hoping for a lane to open up. 

I feel that it needs a bit more mixing up.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 6string said:

I'm hoping for that but ya never know with Green....

IMO Virtanen has looked as ordinary as you can be over the last three games.

He's not a liability defensively though (+3) which is going to keep you in the lineup of most teams. Being big and fast doesn't hurt either.
Virtanen is the classic late blooming power forward in my opinion. 
He's only 23. I think he'll become that guy, whether it's here or somewhere else.

Bertuzzi was a 17 point player until he was 25, then boom -> went from 50 points to 97 points in the next 3-4 years.

Not saying Virt is a 100 pt player, but 50 is easily reachable if things go his way.

Edited by fecklund
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I didn't see them relaxed at the start...they actually came out with some jump and seemed prepared.

Morning, road game...I also don't agree it was a "should" win...it wasn't going to be easy despite the opponent.  Teams are tough in their own rink and the officiating was awful so that was a thing.  But our PP was even worse...so that's a bigger thing.  Plus a good goal called off that would have changed the face of the game.  But spilled milk.  Move on and do better.

A lot of blocked shots by NJ (23?!...really??)...teams are doing that but it'll take a toll over time.

I feel we try to set up a lot of one timers and that gives the other team too much time to also set up...especially if a pass goes awry.  I feel like we need more net crashing and causing chaos rather than passing around the perimeter, hoping for a lane to open up. 

I feel that it needs a bit more mixing up.  

Agreed, but end of the day, it's all on the players and coaches executing a $&!# PP.