The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Rangers | Oct. 20, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I think it's healthy to criticize a clear negative that could have lost us the points, even if we won the game.

We're very lucky that we won.

Personally, I differentiate between what a coach should tell the team and what we need to fuss over as fans.  

Like others have pointed out: the context of back to back morning games on the road, a Rangers team with decent talent likely being read the riot act... there’s enough out there that a Rangers surge should be expected.  

Honestly, holding a 3-0 lead for a game and still coming out on top in shot differential is pretty amazing.  They took it to us in the 3rd but I’d still say we outplayed them overall.  Would have been nice if we had a little more fight but I think if we even just score that empty netter people’s view of the 3rd changes dramatically. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

They're lucky one period of good play was enough to even get them close. Could only imagine how miserable you'd be if we lost. Got the W move on. 

So did Lundqvist, they were lucky it wasn't 5-0 after 1. 

I'm very center whether we win or lose.

For example, our first two games were losses and I was discussing many of the positives when most were upset.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Unlucky to be up by only 2 after the second, lucky that they didn't tie it in the third.  It all evens out.

Pretty much how you have to look at it.

Rangers were just as lucky based on how we were dominating play in the first two. Yet somehow we’re the luckier ones for getting badly outplayed in one period?

I would say it ended up being a fairly even game in the end. Shouldn’t have been unexpected against a team desperate at home.

Edited by DeNiro

A game of two tales....looked like they played  "not to lose" rather than being a tired team in the third.

They dominated the first two periods then quit skating in the third.

If they were tired entering this game, then they should consider using their depth and play Gaudette and LE....however, this was not the case (them being tired)...they just quit skating and started to defend the lead.

Edited by Pete M

4 minutes ago, Pete M said:

A game of two tales....looked like they played  "not to lose" than being a tired team in the third.

If they were tired entering this game, then they should consider using their depth and play Gaudette and LE....however, this was not the case (them being tired)...they just quit skating and started to defend the lead.

Not tired entering the game....they came out, HARD, and established a good lead.  Then, after having flown,  played the day before in a morning game, giving their all out of the gates this game......they hit the wall.  That was painfully obvious.  

So I disagree.

They were defending the lead...I just don't think it was strategy as much as desperation.  

Honestly, I don't even care.  They won, and I give them credit for that because the two points are what matters.  They found a way to win the game.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

A game of two tales....looked like they played  "not to lose" rather than being a tired team in the third.

They got outworked in the 3rd by a fresh team, they didn't stop skating though. No one is arguing the Rangers won the 3rd period. Vancouver won the game. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s why he’s our number 1.

Not unlike the days of Luongo standing on his head and keeping us in games back in the day.

Yup, Marky has become a legitimate #1.

Remember when he acquired him for Luongo? We were all excited for Mathias, but Markstrom was sort of a throw in since he was lost in Florida.

Amazing backstory IMO.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Personally, I differentiate between what a coach should tell the team and what we need to fuss over as fans.  

Like others have pointed out: the context of back to back morning games on the road, a Rangers team with decent talent likely being read the riot act... there’s enough out there that a Rangers surge should be expected.  

Honestly, holding a 3-0 lead for a game and still coming out on top in shot differential is pretty amazing.  They took it to us in the 3rd but I’d still say we outplayed them overall.  Would have been nice if we had a little more fight but I think if we even just score that empty netter people’s view of the 3rd changes dramatically. 

I agree for the most part.

• Cheers 2