The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Rangers | Oct. 20, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Did Ferland get hurt today ? He only played 7:15 today .

Don't think so, I think he and the coach are trying to find the best fit for him. I was all for us signing him, but I am super happy we paid the contract we did. If a team had given him a long term deal in the 5-6m per range fans for that team would have his head on a pitchfork...yes even this early into the year!

I like Ferland, but ideally we need him to be way more aggressive. I hope he finds his groove, its either on the Elias line or the 3rd line imo. I don't see him as a fit with Bo

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I did not think Jake played a terrible game but he did miss picking up Panarin in the middle 

I am surprised Green said it was his best game 

I like Jake but what game was he better? He skated liked a demon, and was all over the ice. Part of the initial onslaught. Might have scored if Bo gave him that 2 on 0 pass.

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I did not think Jake played a terrible game but he did miss picking up Panarin in the middle 

I am surprised Green said it was his best game 

Jake had an awesome game, he played exactly like the player he's supposed to be.

Staal trying to get position on him and subsequently being sent airborne, then taking a rage penalty sums it up nicely. 

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Another good building block game.

Have been reading on social media that Marky has been dealing with a tough family situation.  Great to see him carry the team to a win and the players sounded like they are extremely thankful to have him.    

Also, give Tim Schaller credit.  He's been great in his role so far.  

It was 2 different Schallers this game. Fiest half he looked so good. 2nd half couldn't get pucks out etc. 

Many if the players had similar issues but i was hoping Schaller would play a solid dependable role in the 2nd half and play a heavy game tonget pucks out etc.

When the going gets tough and we need to win the puck battle, I trust Horvat and Beagle. 2nd tier would be Schaller, Leivo, Pearson, Sutter. 

I felt like Schaller didn't get it done in the 3rd...

Well that was a fun game but wow a nail biter at the end. Looked like they gave it their all the first 2 periods and were dog tired the 3rd from back to back morning games. Mentally drained too by the look of the errors in that third. Stoked they got 2 points though, would have been a much tougher scenario if they lost both those games 

• Upvote 1

This is how you win on the road to be fair. Special teams wins it for us and is the tipping point again. Good to see the PP bounce back, massive effort by Beagle, everyone played well IMO except for Leivo and Virtanen again (who I think one of which should be swapped out for Baertschi but anyway...).

Their forecheck in the 3rd was a masterclass and on the other side of things ours was just missing. They were showing us how to evade a forecheck with lovely little passes out if their own zone that we couldn't emulate and we kept getting pucks stuck in our feet which they pounced on with a 2 man forecheck.

To be fair to the Canucks, the 3rd period of back to backs is rough so I wasn't expecting us to keep the scoring up, good to know we can play well defensively and credit the guys for keeping most of the chances to the outside. When you need to defend it's good to be able to do so and Edler in particular won us the game with that last second tie up. Big game for Marky obviously but this was a gutsy win.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

Nah he just hasn't been playing well. Looks like it's gonna take some time for him to get going.

He didn't play well down the stretch in Carolina either and finished on the 4th line in the playoffs.   There's also that to overcome and not just the sickness.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

He didn't play well down the stretch in Carolina either and finished on the 4th line in the playoffs.   There's also that to overcome and not just the sickness.  

Yeah. It sucks that he isn't the same player he was 3 years ago. Seems like he's playing somewhat cautious now considering his concussion history.