The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Rangers | Oct. 20, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It's only 8 games in. He's leading our team in hits with 2.8 a game average which is right around the highest he's been. If you're looking for those massive hits, you don't see those every game, but they stand out in some highlights. He's not a goon, so he's not going to get in a fight that often (most fighters have like 6 or 7 all year, so still plenty of time). So the physical game has been there despite losing 10 lbs due to sickness.

The offense hasn't been on par to the past couple of seasons, but he's a big game or two to rack them back up. He's getting more chances lately and getting engaged more and more game by game.

Can't wait. He's a player that helps others out when they need it. Tough guys strike when the iron is hot. Settle down and let him settle in, and then watch when he settles someone else out. 

I thought I saw some really good things there today, and mostly hockey plays, which is what we need.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, cuporbust said:

You are forgetting Kakko. First NHL game I've seen him play, and I thought he was every bit as good as Panarin

Good call...

Very impressed with Kakko... He is going to be some player...

Edited by spook007

7 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Another good building block game.

Have been reading on social media that Marky has been dealing with a tough family situation.  Great to see him carry the team to a win and the players sounded like they are extremely thankful to have him.    

Also, give Tim Schaller credit.  He's been great in his role so far.  

Probably the biggest surprise this year together with Quinn and Miller both being as good right from the start as they have. (and Demko)

I was having Schaller in the press box at best to start the season, but the Schaller that turned up this season, has been real good....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, combover said:

GLAd the rangers only showed up for the third. 

Markstrom the only only reason it’s wasn’t a disaster. 

Sutter needs to watch a few games from the press box. 

The same Sutter who is currently on pace for a 50 point season and is a +1? He made a mistake at the end of 3 games in 4 nights. He’s looked fantastic overall this season. The boys are people after all.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Pears said:

43 shots in the first game after we move Hughes up to the first powerplay unit :emot-parrot:

Having Quinn and Ep40 on the same unit makes incredible sense.  They both distribute so well and have fantastic skating.  

Quinn's shot really surprised me.  Seems to find a way to the net with regularity.  

16 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

The same Sutter who is currently on pace for a 50 point season and is a +1? He made a mistake at the end of 3 games in 4 nights. He’s looked fantastic overall this season. The boys are people after all.

Yeah, Sutter isn't sitting in the press box while healthy.  He has been playing lot more like the guy JB wanted when he signed him to that contract.  

The team ran out of gas playing the 3rd game in 4 days, with an early start.  

If it wasn't for Blackwood standing on his head in NJ the team would have won all 3 games.  

For a road trip, it's been pretty good.  

The team is still a work in progress, but I don't see any reason to complain yet.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Don't think so, I think he and the coach are trying to find the best fit for him. I was all for us signing him, but I am super happy we paid the contract we did. If a team had given him a long term deal in the 5-6m per range fans for that team would have his head on a pitchfork...yes even this early into the year!

I like Ferland, but ideally we need him to be way more aggressive. I hope he finds his groove, its either on the Elias line or the 3rd line imo. I don't see him as a fit with Bo

Ferland is coming into the season battling the after effects of a significant illness.  Anytime you drop 10 pound in a week not trying too is going to take some.time to build stamina.  

17 hours ago, fecklund said:

I'm laying that on Greener as well.
This team isn't all that "young" - by age about middle of the pack, so you can't blame it on inexperience. 
Greener had plenty of opportunities to call a time out before the massive gong show got out of control, and didn't. 
It's literally the smartest and best thing you can do when you see your team starting to fall apart. 
Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time he called a time out... has he ever?

Green is working on the long game not the short game.  

Adveristy builds a team.  An awful lot of bitching about a win on a back to back morning game on the road.  

How many times did we pull that off in the last few years.  

Attention all arm chair quarterbacks who think they could 'win' better than Green did, prove it.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, billabong said:

Can you IMAGINE the utter insanity that would be going in Vancouver if we had the roster of the Dallas stars and they went 2-7-1 in their first 10 games?!

There would be pitch forks and torches demanding heads to roll 

the worst thing we gotta complain about is an enigmatic powerplay while we’ve won 5 of 6

Ah, but don't forget, as one of the "realistic fans" pointed out about 50 times in this thread, they "stopped skating" in the third period. And they weren't really exhausted from playing their third game in 4 days, their second back to back morning road game 9 hours before their body clocks were ready to play, they just chose to "stop skating" and "sit on the lead". Must be true, after all it was repeated dozens of times. :lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Having Quinn and Ep40 on the same unit makes incredible sense.  They both distribute so well and have fantastic skating.  

Quinn's shot really surprised me.  Seems to find a way to the net with regularity.  

I just don't understand putting Petey and Brock on the opposites sides, taking away both of their one-timers :blink:

Not often I see so many shots by both teams in a 60-minute game. Both had over 40, it was a goaltending clinic on both sides. Canucks almost blew it after having a 3-0 lead, but they got the 2 points when it ended. That`s all that matters. I hope they don't take their foot off the gas in DET, got to try and keep pace with EDM. 

30 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not often I see so many shots by both teams in a 60-minute game. Both had over 40, it was a goaltending clinic on both sides. Canucks almost blew it after having a 3-0 lead, but they got the 2 points when it ended. That`s all that matters. I hope they don't take their foot off the gas in DET, got to try and keep pace with EDM. 

Don't be worried about Edmonton. Buffalo started hot last year and finished near the bottom. I expect nothing less from Edmonton as it's Edmonton after all. St Louis was nearly at the bottom at around the half way point of the season and won the Cup. Not saying these games don't matter but keeping pace with Edmonton isn't a concern for me.