The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Okay, Save the Laffs..PLEASE!

Rate this topic

I don't see them trading any of their big-5 guys for a while, unless they bow out of the playoffs the next couple of seasons. If they do, they have to move Marner, he's the obvious trade bait, for some depth but that won't be enough. 

Essentially it'll have to be Marner for a 2nd/3rd line forward and top-4 defenceman, and their 1st round pick for another 2nd line forward. That would be enough to balance the team.

16 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Read CDC, even 1/2 way through the 2knd period of a game we're losing? We have the same scrutiny.

The same fans who are fed up? Fuelled the intense media pressure to immortalize sign these guys. And need to realize they need to draft and develop some defense & depth.  They can't sign their way to the upper echelon, the cap is already spent.

But in any case, they remain a good mid level team. Probably destined for a 3rd place or wildcard finish.  It ain't the end of the world.  

Many Leaf-backers posted this way a decade back, when confounding acquisitions Kessel & Pha9 were continually veering the 18-wheeler off the hwy to PO's. Revisionist-historians, who'd try to convince other posters that BBurke was a visionary(Darnitall!!!) They're .500 hockey since Jan..with a predictably panicked, immobile D, modeled on your 40 yr old table hockey game(after the spring loses strength, just moving up & down it's track)....

The resemblance is becoming a little bit eerie, at a time for ghosts & goblins.

& "hate thread" Surfer? Did you ignore my mention of a Christian's compassionate assistance?! :^)

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Many Leaf-backers posted this way a decade back, when confounding acquisitions Kessel & Pha9 were continually veering the 18-wheeler off the hwy to PO's. Revisionist-historians, who'd try to convince other posters that BBurke was a visionary(Darnitall!!!) They're .500 hockey since Jan..with a predictably panicked, immobile D, modeled on your 40 yr old table hockey game(after the spring loses strength, just moving up & down it's track)....

The resemblance is becoming a little bit eerie, at a time for ghosts & goblins.

& "hate thread" Surfer? Did you ignore my mention of a Christian's compassionate assistance?! :^)

Its definitely a ''pile on the Leafs'' thread.  Based on it's headline. Just like we hate centre of the universe media articles about how good they are at rebuilding. Sensationalizing Leaf hate was this thread. Compassion?

They were in a play off position at the time of the thread.  Are now a day or so later. With a team anchored by exciting young players. Good goaltending. Have a Norris candidate on their D. Who, by the way, was skipped when mentioning any credible defenders. You picked only Muzzin. Not on their death bed. Far from it.

I would agree with the portions of content that question if their depth and defence is enough to carry them deep into the post season. I don't have them going deep.  I don't see them as Laffing stock.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its definitely a ''pile on the Leafs'' thread.  Based on it's headline. Just like we hate centre of the universe media articles about how good they are at rebuilding. Sensationalizing Leaf hate was this thread. Compassion?

They were in a play off position at the time of the thread.  Are now a day or so later. With a team anchored by exciting young players. Good goaltending. Have a Norris candidate on their D. Who, by the way, was skipped when mentioning any credible defenders. You picked only Muzzin. Not on their death bed. Far from it.

I would agree with the portions of content that question if their depth and defence is enough to carry them deep into the post season. I don't have them going deep.  I don't see them as Laffing stock.

From this poster's pov, it's a trip down memory lane. My first online experience was a big Natl newspaper(comment sect was a'raging!), where there were a gaggle of usual posters arguing/debating this sink/swim, boom/bust, scorch earth/retool-on-fly, myriad ways of building a contender. There were posters from all regions/fanbases of Canada, & at times it got heated!

When Burke made his grandiose pronouncements, & bold trades(esp Kessel & Dion) it sure fueled the fires. All was grist for the mill, & looking back, made for pretty interesting discussion. I took the position that he was looking for short-cuts, & it would blow up in their face. Since Van was cruising back then, you can imagine how the western 'view' went over. Ultimately BB set them back 5-7 yrs.

In truth, there prob *ARE* short cuts with a rebuild, especially if it's a region the League would LOVE to see competing(eg: NYRags). But if you're in a COTU situation, all you really need is to max cap on others mistakes, then the patience to watch all the accompanying proceeds develop fully. Too many times I've seen the Leafs go 60, 70% there, then F*** it all up, simply because they don't have the requisite patience to play out the final(testing) 2 or 3 steps.

I might do a bit of prodding/ribbing along the way, but we Van-fans have received our fair share in return! But as for building a winner, I've always enjoyed the process/analysis from a theoretical, hockey fan perspective. Threads like this here, brings ideas outa' the woodwork, alongside the slags & jokes. All these things may be referenced down the road.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

From this poster's pov, it's a trip down memory lane. My first online experience was a big Natl newspaper(comment sect was a'raging!), where there were a gaggle of usual posters arguing/debating this sink/swim, boom/bust, scorch earth/retool-on-fly, myriad ways of building a contender. There were posters from all regions/fanbases of Canada, & at times it got heated!

When Burke made his grandiose pronouncements, & bold trades(esp Kessel & Dion) it sure fueled the fires. All was grist for the mill, & looking back, made for pretty interesting discussion. I took the position that he was looking for short-cuts, & it would blow up in their face. Since Van was cruising back then, you can imagine how the western 'view' went over. Ultimately BB set them back 5-7 yrs.

In truth, there prob *ARE* short cuts with a rebuild, especially if it's a region the League would LOVE to see competing(eg: NYRags). But if you're in a COTU situation, all you really need is to max cap on others mistakes, then the patience to watch all the accompanying proceeds develop fully. Too many times I've seen the Leafs go 60, 70% there, then F*** it all up, simply because they don't have the requisite patience to play out the final(testing) 2 or 3 steps.

I might do a bit of prodding/ribbing along the way, but we Van-fans have received our fair share in return! But as for building a winner, I've always enjoyed the process/analysis from a theoretical, hockey fan perspective. Threads like this here, brings ideas outa' the woodwork, alongside the slags & jokes. All these things may be referenced down the road.

Yu know all the classics! Ok peace, and I enjoyed this last post. 

Try out some New Age Funk

Groove Armada

i see u baby!

• Cheers 1

On 10/23/2019 at 2:30 PM, coastal.view said:

they simply need to trade one of their top 3 players to acquire depth

tavares cannot be moved

so either matthews or marner have to be

marner is badly overpaid and that may affect his return somewhat

matthews is overpaid but has the generational tag attached to him

which makes it more likely they'd get a more generous return on him despite his contract

i see no other way

predictions are that the cap will remain flat for at least next season as well

so i see matthews as having to be moved

and the team likely to pay the most is arizona

but they are close to having cap issues themselves

but they'd be so motivated to get a home town phenom player

it would be a deal of them getting matthews for a multiple player return

they could trade Matthews for Kessel..

oh wait.. 

On 10/23/2019 at 6:46 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Fire Shanaplan & Dubas, toot-sweet. Keep Babcock, cos' those overpaid princesses deserve that belligerent ego.

I'd prob call the Hunters(apologetically) up...

Babcock is the worst sound bite in hockey.  Sounds the same no matter what the question is.  “ so coach what did you think of that second period?”

Babcock “ Got to dig.  Got to compete hard on pucks.  Got to go the net.”

”so coach what did you think of that loss?”

”Got to dig.  Push pucks up ice.  Didn’t go to net.”

”so coach what do you think of Mathews  pantsying himself?”

”Didn’t compete.  Didn’t go hard to the net, bad on pucks”

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Habs 5, Leafs 2.. HFboards, random PGT comment:

"This team is garbage, the moves Dubas made didn't work. We pay too much for very little, & now these stupid contracts will paralyze the team going forward. A lot of teams like LA & Chi had to win a Cup before paying their guys. We accomplish nothing, & now have no chance of winning anything for 7 years. Dubas fail."

^ It looks like meltdown is already starting to occur within their fanbase, as I'm seeing an increase in such scathing indictments of the current TML-incarnation.

** IF I were their owner? I'd be fuming already in Oct** No-name guys like Mikheyev have performed better than their overpaid, ballyhooed brats.

Step 1: Fire smug Shanaplan & Dopey Dubas. Bring in some interim Mgr, to take out the pricey garbage.

Step 2: Trade Matthews to Dallas(take back Benn-albatross to improve return). Nylander to LA, perhaps get Toffoli ++?

Next summer(after Huuge bonus paid) trade Marner to Winterpeg for Ehlers +++ pkg.

They may as well drop to bottom-10 now(pushing the Marleau gifted-1st back a season). They've gifted a nice 1st rounder to the Caniac-jerks, so hope to make it a 2021 pick, as the 2020 class sounds loaded. Maybe they'd luck out on the lotto again?

Meantime, acquire some local guys/grit in these deals, cos' their fanbase will soon be very p*ssed. Attempt to find some grinding local muckers to rally around Tavares, & a couple other cagey vets.

I'll never understand how this multi-billion $ entity could put an unproven kid like Dubas, into such an important position? Incredible gaffe.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Honestly if I were Toronto I would try to trade Marner for Pietrangelo, maybe St. Louis adds a pick (2nd?) since Pietrangelo is in a contract year.

I think with the way negotiations played out things have soured a bit for the Marner camp. Toronto has enough offense they can afford to lose Marner and Pietrangelo is the type of all-round defenseman they could really use. Pietrangelo may not be super young anymore but fits with Toronto's win now window.

But I enjoy seeing Toronto fumble so I hope they don't do anything and that their one-dimensional method of play continues to bite them.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Habs 5, Leafs 2.. HFboards, random PGT comment:

"This team is garbage, the moves Dubas made didn't work. We pay too much for very little, & now these stupid contracts will paralyze the team going forward. A lot of teams like LA & Chi had to win a Cup before paying their guys. We accomplish nothing, & now have no chance of winning anything for 7 years. Dubas fail."

^ It looks like meltdown is already starting to occur within their fanbase, as I'm seeing an increase in such scathing indictments of the current TML-incarnation.

** IF I were their owner? I'd be fuming already in Oct** No-name guys like Mikheyev have performed better than their overpaid, ballyhooed brats.

Step 1: Fire smug Shanaplan & Dopey Dubas. Bring in some interim Mgr, to take out the pricey garbage.

Step 2: Trade Matthews to Dallas(take back Benn-albatross to improve return). Nylander to LA, perhaps get Toffoli ++?

Next summer(after Huuge bonus paid) trade Marner to Winterpeg for Ehlers +++ pkg.

They may as well drop to bottom-10 now(pushing the Marleau gifted-1st back a season). They've gifted a nice 1st rounder to the Caniac-jerks, so hope to make it a 2021 pick, as the 2020 class sounds loaded. Maybe they'd luck out on the lotto again?

Meantime, acquire some local guys/grit in these deals, cos' their fanbase will soon be very p*ssed. Attempt to find some grinding local muckers to rally around Tavares, & a couple other cagey vets.

I'll never understand how this multi-billion $ entity could put an unproven kid like Dubas, into such an important position? Incredible gaffe.

Amen.   The last paragraph is bang on.  They go get Shanny which was smart - even though he’s unproven his clout and respectability is unquestioned.   Same with Lou.   Then hand the reigns to a numbers guy that looks like he started shaving a year ago, who proceeds to hand out three ridiculous contracts that coupled with Tavares kill their window.  If Kadri didn’t get suspended I have no doubt they would have beaten Boston - the anything could of happened with TB also gone.   That might have just been their best chance at a cup - at least until the cap goes up, but by then Mathews will need to be re- upped and could be gone for nothing - Tavares won’t be the same player etc etc.   Made a mess.  This year will be their second best chance.  For all the posturing and praise given them over their quick turnaround, it could all be for nothing given those contracts.   Loved how he came out looking the fool again after nobody else handed out stupid RFA contracts last summer. 

Edit:  Ok some props are due - Johnsson and Kapanen are also great support players, he did sign them to fair deals ...  but love how they can justify Nylander when those guys get the same numbers when on the top lines too....rift in the dressing room...starting the rumour now 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

In 2 mins FLO ties the Leafs in pts(up 4-2 on EDM currently, late in game). You won't see TO in the top 3(Div) for the rest of the yr, I bet. The plummet starts here & now.

So one might say.. in Autumn, the Leafs are falling, and they won't be back up until spring?

Sounds good to me

• Cheers 1

Sharks losing 4-2 to the Sens.  They will fall to 4 and 7.  They look old and slow.  I don’t see them making the playoffs.  I don’t see the Flames making it either.  I see Us, Vegas, and Arizona as the top three. 

#Leafs miss playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/24/2019 at 1:40 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Muzzin is the only D the Leafs have capable of playing like an NHLer in his own zone.  If you actually think Rielly is capable of winning a Norris, there is a reason he didn't get close last year despite the offensive numbers: he is a massive defensive liability and really should be sat down and told that he will sit in the press box if he doesn't start to at least attempt to play some defense.  He'd be fine as a forward, bu t the way Reilly plays in his own end is unacceptable at any level, let alone the NHL.

• Wat 1