The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Okay, Save the Laffs..PLEASE!

Rate this topic

22 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

The latest Nathan Mackinnen statement where he said he would take another discount on his next contract if it meant helping the team win must really sting in Toronto. 

More than likely what he means is a contract that is similar to his current deal or Crosbys' current deal - a high value contract with term to bring the annual cap hit to a manageable value.  

Crosby: 12 for 104 million with a cap hit of 8.3 million.

MacKinnon: 7 for 44.1 million with a cap hit of 6.3 million.

It really depends on the player: some players care more about there legacy than $ - of course MVP type players will potentially have more sources of income and perhaps be or should be more willing to take a pay cut (in my opinion).  For example, players like Jordan and Crosby (just to name a few) are willing to take a pay cut below there market value to win championships to be remembered as champions and with that reputation, the endorsement deals will MORE THAN likely make up for not getting paid there market value. 

I do agree, that it must sting for Toronto that all there young core chose to get there market value or more - Nylander - rather than give some discount through term to help supplement there talented roster and win a cup.  But as fan of the Canucks, I think Dubas did pretty well (4 players making ~ 40 million of there total cap) because I taught they were for sure, going to break there 51 year cup drought but now it is looking more likely that they will have to wait longer and hopefully we get ours before they do.   Go Canucks !!!!!

Edited by ShawnAntoski

14 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Would it really cost that much?

6.5 million worth of hole fillers.

need :

a backup goalie

a rugged defensive winger

a defensive defenceman

as long as the cap hit is the same that would be the cost of Nylander.

If he were to become a Canuck, in my opinion, his value will only be in the regular season and not in the playoffs - based on his past performance.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

I was about to give credit to the Laffs for pulling their stinkin' corpse outa' the dirt..then they go & skate with that lil' pop tart, Cdn H**O, Beaver(whatever his handle?). Hope the curse of Ace Bailey tumbles down upon these chumps lika' pallet of bricks.

'Dem & their complicit, wh*ring, lackey media can go pound sand. I glance headlines, then look away. Not newsworthy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, it's maybe a bit too late for this but, trade Nylander's butt for a pretty good d-man and some other assets, like a better back up goalie.

regards,  G.

Nylander has negative value. 

• Wat 1

@ShawnAntoski

Crosby cap hit is 8.7 not 8.3. 

Any ways its a Luongo like contract. 12 yrs front loaded.  12 mill per year first few years 3 mill last 3 seasons. 

Only 50% variance allowed and 8 yrs max with current CBA. So that type of contract will be impossible

With Mackinnon if he takes less, with todays numbers and cap instead of asking for 12.5 mill he would take 12 if he leaves money on table. He's not going to take millions less per year. Players say a lot of things in media. We'll see in 4 seasons. 

He's still signed for another 3 years after this. Hell likely sign for 15 mill + if cap keeps going up. 

15 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Nylander has negative value. 

He's playing great. One of their best players. PHWA named him mid season comeback player of the year.

25 goals 48 Pts 53 games

He had a bad game before xmas got benched and has been lights out ever since. 

20 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He's playing great. One of their best players. PHWA named him mid season comeback player of the year.

25 goals 48 Pts 53 games

He had a bad game before xmas got benched and has been lights out ever since. 

Lazy, horrible defensively, plays scared when it matters most.  I don't care how many points a guy puts up if he clearly doesn't care about winning.  Reminds me of Kovalev.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Lazy, horrible defensively, plays scared when it matters most.  I don't care how many points a guy puts up if he clearly doesn't care about winning.  Reminds me of Kovalev.

I dont know how many leafs games you've watched this season but my guess is not more than 2 or 3.

I watch out of market games every day. I have nhl center ice. The player you are describing is not Nylander. 

This is what John Tavares and Leafs coach Keefe said about Nylander couple of days ago. 

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/tavares-up-close-look-at-nylander-has-leafs-captain-impressed

“He has been really good,” Keefe said of Nylander’s consistency. “Whether it’s him just finding his own game and being comfortable or the chemistry there with the presence of John on this line. His presence on the power play, he has got a lot more comfortable with his role. All those sort of things seem to be falling into place and he has been excellent.”

People on CDC like to bash on the leafs and its all good. But lets stay within reason. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

@ShawnAntoski

Crosby cap hit is 8.7 not 8.3. 

Any ways its a Luongo like contract. 12 yrs front loaded.  12 mill per year first few years 3 mill last 3 seasons. 

Only 50% variance allowed and 8 yrs max with current CBA. So that type of contract will be impossible

With Mackinnon if he takes less, with todays numbers and cap instead of asking for 12.5 mill he would take 12 if he leaves money on table. He's not going to take millions less per year. Players say a lot of things in media. We'll see in 4 seasons. 

He's still signed for another 3 years after this. Hell likely sign for 15 mill + if cap keeps going up. 

Ditto.  I would assume it would be a high value contract with extra term to help with the cap - I guess, he wants to retire as an Avs.

BTW, got the value from capfriendly.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

So Leafs lose another D..this time Ceci. If they lose a few more tilts(in short order), wonder if they'll possibly pull the plug on 2020? What if Dumba$$/Shannyplan start to vary on vision? Will they tie the kids hands(TDL) so he can't w*nk away the future?!

They're only 6 pts up on 9th/10th worst, overall. A top-10 pick is one they keep(Canes don't receive) in what is supposedly, a much better draft class than 2021.

It's as if Dubas has painted himself into a corner, in a room with mad, Coronavirus patients(mass media), at various stages of infection/sickness.

• Cheers 1