The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van/Det

WCE

14 minutes ago, WCE said:

To Det Sutter, Stecher & Baertschi 

To Van Athanasiou, Green & conditional 1st if det makes playoffs if they don't becomes a 2nd rd 2020 & 3rd 2020 or 2021 

Why would Detroit do this? There’s nothing in your proposal that justifies a 1st round pick.  Plus they give up the best player in AA 

• Upvote 3

1976303369_canuckslogobeer.jpg.075cac7fcd50ef46c7fab68e454551a3.jpg449235744_canuckslogo-001.pdnweed.jpg.19dcc98a8b809504fbabfcff8e0e46ee.jpg

Edited by 6string
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, WCE said:

To Van Athanasiou, Green & conditional 1st if det makes playoffs if they don't becomes a 2nd rd 2020 & 3rd 2020 or 2021 

Even without having to surrender a 1st, I can’t see Detroit giving up AA for that package.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

1 hour ago, WCE said:

Detroit actually not necessarily trying to make the playoffs.  The players will try but Yzerman probably wants a high pick.  Don't think he is going to adjust the roster to give them a better chance.

His mentor was Holland and Holland thinks you need to find 3-4 Hall of Famers / franchise players before you start making trades.  He talks of how you have to use the years where you are bad to accumulate as many draft picks as possible and preferably right at the top of the draft.  Yzerman himself was saying he got a head start in Tampa when he got to draft Stamkos / Hedman early in his tenure but says here they are nearly a decade later and he still hasn't won.  He talks of needing time to build a championship team.  I doubt Yzerman will rush the rebuild.

20 minutes ago, mll said:

Yzerman himself was saying he got a head start in Tampa when he got to draft Stamkos / Hedman early in his tenure but says here they are nearly a decade later and he still hasn't won. 

Yzerman didn't draft Stamkos or Hedman. 

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Yzerman didn't draft Stamkos or Hedman. 

Here's the quote from back in March 2018:  “Our approach has been that we try to hang onto our draft picks and develop players,” Yzerman told the Free Press this week. “It’s my eighth year and I was fortunate to come in when we had our first-overall and second-overall picks in Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman, so I got a running start. Eight years later we have a contender, but we haven’t won a Cup.”

4 hours ago, mll said:

Here's the quote from back in March 2018:  “Our approach has been that we try to hang onto our draft picks and develop players,” Yzerman told the Free Press this week. “It’s my eighth year and I was fortunate to come in when we had our first-overall and second-overall picks in Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman, so I got a running start. Eight years later we have a contender, but we haven’t won a Cup.”

Quotes are misunderstood or outright incorrect all the time  - either way it's a fact, he wasn't the GM who drafted those two guys.

6 hours ago, mll said:

Stamkos was drafted in 2008, Yzerman didn't take control until the home stretch of the 2009-2010 season. I took that comment as "We already had 2 high end core players when I got here, so it was a bit easier than starting from scratch." 

20 hours ago, WCE said:

:frantic:

Detroit is in a rebuild are they not?  

Of course they will give up a first for mediocre pieces...haha....someone has been hitting the bong!!!

27 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

I think a better proposition would be Demko and Stecher to Detroit for Joe Veleno and 2020 1st (top 5)  ...... would like to get it for demko alone but I've been told prob not by a few lol

You’re dreaming if you think Stetcher and Demko return Detroit’s 1st round pick from last year and a top 5 pick.  No GM in their right mind makes that deal. Especially not Yzerman 

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

You’re dreaming if you think Stetcher and Demko return Detroit’s 1st round pick from last year and a top 5 pick.  No GM in their right mind makes that deal. Especially not Yzerman 

Fills alot of holes with young good players for Stevey y

Demko will /is  elite

Just now, Snapshot85 said:

Fills alot of holes with young good players for Stevey y

Demko will /is  elite

Demko is a young backup with a total of 15 games under his belt.  There is literally no way to guarantee he will be elite. Let alone a reliable starter.  Stretcher is a bottom pairing D. You want the equivalent of Jet Woo and Quinn Hughes for those two pieces. Does that seem remotely realistic to you? 

42 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Demko is a young backup with a total of 15 games under his belt.  There is literally no way to guarantee he will be elite. Let alone a reliable starter.  Stretcher is a bottom pairing D. You want the equivalent of Jet Woo and Quinn Hughes for those two pieces. Does that seem remotely realistic to you? 

As a canuck fan.... yes defenitly...... as a wings fan... maybe not....if I diddnt have a goalie or any goalie prospects.... I might trade demko a young unproven goalie with giant upside for hughes a young unproven defenseman with giant upside....especially when goalies take years to develop..... woo for stecher maybe not.... but then again ... is that really a streach if you have a terrible defense core.  Stecher has played some major minutes and has some experiance he could give the wings defense core.... and woo as you indicated is also unproven.... but yes woo for stecher may be a streach.

But when broken down dont seem so unrealistic does it? Going off   your  example.

Edited by Snapshot85

16 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

As a canuck fan.... yes defenitly...... as a wings fan... maybe not....if I diddnt have a goalie or any goalie prospects.... I might trade demko a young unproven goalie with giant upside for hughes a young unproven defenseman with giant upside....especially when goalies take years to develop..... woo for stecher maybe not.... but then again ... is that really a streach if you have a terrible defense core.  Stecher has played some major minutes and has some experiance he could give the wings defense core.... and woo as you indicated is also unproven.... but yes woo for stecher may be a streach.

But when broken down dont seem so unrealistic does it? Going off   your  example.

No. It’s totally unrealistic. Neither Demko nor Stetcher have remotely the kind of value you’re assigning to them.