The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] - Markstrom for a 1st round pick + a solid back-up goalie.......IF

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are keeping Markstrom, and trading Demko at the 2020 draft for a first round pick.  That first round pick will replace the one TBay gets from us, because we make the playoffs.  It know this to be true.  

Alf the fortune teller.jpg

So, Great Carnac

If I am getting this right

We are trading our 2014 36th OA

Who has been 5years in the making

and our future starter for the next 10 to 12 years

for a first round pick, somewhere around

Where????? Like 16th to 24th OA

That may or may not develop into a 

NHL player?

Why are we doing this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, Great Carnac

If I am getting this right

We are trading our 2014 36th OA

Who has been 5years in the making

and our future starter for the next 10 to 12 years

for a first round pick, somewhere around

Where????? Like 16th to 24th OA

That may or may not develop into a 

NHL player?

Why are we doing this?

You bet ya.  And that pick will turn into another superstar like Bo.  And I’m from Melmac not Carnac.  Carnac is for the loser clan of the Cason 

Edited by Alflives

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You bet ya.  And that pick will turn into another superstar like Bo.  And I’m from Melmac not Carnac.  Carnac is for the loser clan of the Cason 

Well, I say, you have to figure out who Denko is...…….

Which means between now and the TDL

you need to play him, as much as Demko

I can not think of a reason why not

Better stats than Markstrom

So play him and let him self-determine

his future...…..

Unless you are afraid of him proving himself

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I say, you have to figure out who Denko is...…….

Which means between now and the TDL

you need to play him, as much as Demko

I can not think of a reason why not

Better stats than Markstrom

So play him and let him self-determine

his future...…..

Unless you are afraid of him proving himself

Marky has already proved himself to be a star though.  Trade Demko (at the 2020 draft) for a first and we win, don’t you think? 

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

so you think some team will pay that cost for a pending ufa

and he is not a vezina calibre goalie yet

he has not even had 1 full season equivalent of being a top tier goalie

nuck fans continually over rate the value of their players

Teams go crazy at the trade deadline.   Period.   This has been proven time and time again, and will likely continue.   If I recall correctly, Dwayne Roloson was moved to Edmonton for a 1st rounders back at the 2006 trade deadline.

Having said that, I should be clear that I wouldn’t trade Markstrom or Demko this year (although the package that I proposed would tempt me).    I would only consider a move like this at NEXT year’s trade deadline, and that’s only because of the Expansion Draft.

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Teams go crazy at the trade deadline.   Period.   This has been proven time and time again, and will likely continue.   If I recall correctly, Dwayne Roloson was moved to Edmonton for a 1st rounders back at the 2006 trade deadline.

Having said that, I should be clear that I wouldn’t trade Markstrom or Demko this year (although the package that I proposed would tempt me).    I would only consider a move like this at NEXT year’s trade deadline, and that’s only because of the Expansion Draft.

this is just getting sillier on your part

markstrom is not under contract to the team for next season

i doubt he'd sign any contract that would allow him to be traded in the first season of such a contract

or he'd just run out his existing contract and sign as an ufa with a team he preferred to play with long term

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

rYou bet ya.  And that pick will turn into another superstar like Bo.  And I’m from Melmac not Carnac.  Carnac is for the loser clan of the Ca(r)son 

I think you actually sound like you are from the Carnac clan on this one...…………..PS, I fixed your Carson spelling......If you are going to make a joke!!!!!!

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

this is just getting sillier on your part

markstrom is not under contract to the team for next season

i doubt he'd sign any contract that would allow him to be traded in the first season of such a contract

or he'd just run out his existing contract and sign as an ufa with a team he preferred to play with long term

Agreed.    If the Canucks sign Markstrom this off-season (which they should do, and which is almost inevitable), then Demko will likely be the one to be moved (my thinking is at the 2021 trade deadline, or shortly before the lottery draft).

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

On 10/24/2019 at 1:42 AM, qwijibo said:

Rental goalies seldom bring much at the trade deadline. Ryan Miller fetched a 1sr from St Louis in 2014.  But he was a recent vezina winner and had a far more established rep than Markstrom.  I think you’re being extremely optimistic in hoping to get a 1st for him. Let alone the team adding a solid backup. 

This.   A second is probably the most we could get - and if he’s in Vezina form no way we trade him as that would mean we ourselves would be in the playoffs.

That said one of these guys might go - maybe not this year.   Signing Markstrom for five more years at 5-6 makes a lot of sense if he earns it (plays the same as he has been right through the season and into the playoffs).   But so does trading him and going with Demko if he’s just or almost as good.   In the interm let’s enjoy some of the best goaltending we’ve ever had.   Only KM and Luongo have played better at this point...

On 10/24/2019 at 7:13 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I know this is a joke, but there is actually some precedence here. I seem to recall back when the Vegas expansion draft was looming and I really wanted to hold onto Hansen, I was doing some research and discovered that there was a scenario several years prior when the league was holding an expansion draft (can’t remember the teams or players involved off the top of my head) and one team sent the expansion team a pick in exchange for not selecting a particular player. Something similar might be in the cards here if the situation isn’t resolved come 2021.

Oh it's definitely do-able, I believe there was a trade or two in the Vegas draft which influenced who they did (or did not) select

Eventually I say yes.  Fact is teams around the league are looking for goalies (Detroit's got two crappy vets in Howard and Bernier, Jersey's got Schneider and Blackwood who's not really that good, we just peppered Quick and we all know what happened the previous game, Dell and Jones are performing more like Dow Jones in a recession, and even teams like Florida who's supposed to have a good one in Bob is struggling in keeping pucks out).  Now of course teams tethered to big contracts already may not be able to move them and guys like Bob are ultimately performing well enough, but for rebuilding teams like the Wings and Devils I'm sure that there would be some bidding at least to obtain a quality starter.  In that case, even a 2nd and a backup wouldn't be too bad.  Say Howard with salary retained and a 2nd for one of our goalies and I think I say yes to it.  

On 10/24/2019 at 5:30 PM, xereau said:

We should try to sign for a year 1 year so he is a UFA at the expansion draft, let him walk. Try to resign him after we protect Demko.

Ride a super solid platoon for 3 years. Set the meta.

Win the cup from the net out.

The perfect wish?

I remember when that was trade Edler Hamhuis at the deadline. Then re-sign him in the summer...

It beats the most prevalent Christmas gift. Getting over the hump with Raymond, Ballard & a first.

I would start shopping him now, NJD will have some good picks and they are in desperate need of improved goal tending, they want to entice Hall to resign.

LA would be another team but they will not want to deal away their #1.

Rangers might be looking for a Lunquist replacement soon.

Just not a lot of teams that will trade away a 1rst this draft for ANY reason, SJ did but that was in the Karlsson deal, a 1rst for a Norris candidate is a good deal, so they do not have one. And the old school thought is to not trade within the conference but the good of the franchise is the important thing and the old school thought was when the competition was only 5 teams for two spots, not 15 teams for 8 spots or 9 teams for 2 spots.

The Canucks will need the cap space over the next two years and this team is not a cup contender for another two years and the addition of 3 more early 20 something players on first contracts.

Demko and DiPietro can hold the fort for the next 6 years or so. Of course Demko may have more trade value in southern California and so one of those teams MAY step up but Markstrom will eat into the cap a fair bit, 2 goalies making 9+ mil or 2 goalies making 4+ mil?

Maybe that is why he is showing how upset he is, maybe he has been told he will be traded.

Markstrom's value may be higher right now than in February, by TDL day teams will know where they stand eliminating some suitors.

1 minute ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I would start shopping him now, NJD will have some good picks and they are in desperate need of improved goal tending, they want to entice Hall to resign.

LA would be another team but they will not want to deal away their #1.

Rangers might be looking for a Lunquist replacement soon.

Just not a lot of teams that will trade away a 1rst this draft for ANY reason, SJ did but that was in the Karlsson deal, a 1rst for a Norris candidate is a good deal, so they do not have one. And the old school thought is to not trade within the conference but the good of the franchise is the important thing and the old school thought was when the competition was only 5 teams for two spots, not 15 teams for 8 spots or 9 teams for 2 spots.

The Canucks will need the cap space over the next two years and this team is not a cup contender for another two years and the addition of 3 more early 20 something players on first contracts.

Demko and DiPietro can hold the fort for the next 6 years or so. Of course Demko may have more trade value in southern California and so one of those teams MAY step up but Markstrom will eat into the cap a fair bit, 2 goalies making 9+ mil or 2 goalies making 4+ mil?

Maybe that is why he is showing how upset he is, maybe he has been told he will be traded.

Markstrom's value may be higher right now than in February, by TDL day teams will know where they stand eliminating some suitors.

totally agree.  I'd be trading Demko at the coming 2020 draft to recoup the first TBay is getting from us.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

totally agree.  I'd be trading Demko at the coming 2020 draft to recoup the first TBay is getting from us.

Probably makes more sense but the Canucks are in cap hell coming up next year and will need every dollar they can manage hence moving Markstrom who will be getting a raise and with Demko and DiPietro the goalie cap hit is only  just over 2 mil for one season that puts them in a weak trade position.

This rebuild is not finished until they get 5 or 6 under 24's playing on it, there should be 1 or two more top six and another top 4 dman. The team is deep in goal even without Markstrom.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Probably makes more sense but the Canucks are in cap hell coming up next year and will need every dollar they can manage hence moving Markstrom who will be getting a raise and with Demko and DiPietro the goalie cap hit is only  just over 2 mil for one season that puts them in a weak trade position.

This rebuild is not finished until they get 5 or 6 under 24's playing on it, there should be 1 or two more top six and another top 4 dman. The team is deep in goal even without Markstrom.

Good point about the Cap.   Marky would have no trade value, considering he's a UFA.  However letting him walk after this season clears his cap space, which (like you point out) has a lot of value, especially considering how great Petey is and the cap he will get.  

Good point about the Cap.   Marky would have no trade value, considering he's a UFA.  However letting him walk after this season clears his cap space, which (like you point out) has a lot of value, especially considering how great Petey is and the cap he will get.  

Benning can't let more assets walk away for nothing, it keeps putting the rebuild back further stretching out a two or three process into eight to ten year job security.

IMO if he could have got two first round picks in this draft the team would have had mucho cap space for trades in the expansion draft, cap space fr next year's big signings and a group of players under 25 that were all top of their age groups when drafted, a much better team with much higher valued assets to keep improving the group ala Colorado moving Duchene and others.

IMO, assuming Demko gains the trust of Benning, I actually believe we lose Marky to UFA this season. Any agent can see we aren't going to carry 2 starting goalies once Demko's ELC is done - and if he is younger and better than Marky, it is clear Marky would be on the move shortly. Why would he want to deal with that when there will likely be other teams interested in his services?