The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019/20 World Junior Championships

Rate this topic

Deathrowe

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this in, I included a couple Canucks prospects on my list so I think it might count here. If a similar thread is already open please feel free to advise.

The world Juniors are going to be hosted this year in Ostrava and Trinec in the Czech Republic. The event will be taking place between December 26, 2019 to January 5, 2020

Being a huge fan of this event I wanted to open it up for discussion, with this years draft looking to be extremely strong I'm excited to get a chance to see some of these kids on the big stage. To start it off I threw together a mock lineup for Team Canada, just a roster that I think would be fun to see play together.

Jared McIsaac L

Ty Smith L

Noah Dobson R

Jet Woo R

Bowen Byram L

Jared Bernard-Docker R

Kevin Bahl L Extra D

Alexis Lafreniere / Barrett Hayton / Joe Veleno

Alex Newhook / Kirby Dach / Dylan Cozens

Nolan Foote / Quinton Byfield / Serron Noel

Liam Foudy / Ty Dellandrea / Benoit Olivier-Groulx

Carson Focht Extra forward

Olivier Rodrigue

Zachary Emond

Raphael Lavoie, Akil Thomas, Gabriel Fortier, Braden Tracey, and maybe even Cole Perfetti will get looks on the team.

Defense if pretty much a lock to what you have put there. Maybe Thomas Harley cracks the roster.

I would also toss Alexis Gravel's hat into the ring for goalies.

Alexis Lafreniere – Kirby Dach – Joe Veleno
Nolan Foote – Barrett Hayton – Dylan Cozens

Alex Newhook - Ty Dellandrea - Akil Thomas

Raphael Lavoie - Liam Foudy - B.O.Groulx

Bowen Byram - Noah Dobson

Ty Smith - J. Bernard Docker

Jared McIsaac - Jett Woo

Kevin Bahl

Olivier Rodrigue

Alexis Gravel

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Doubt Dobson or Hayton will be available.  Still a very strong lineup for Canada that I'm excited to see.   Can't wait to see Woo and Podz battle each other.

Both have been scratched for the last few games? Still could go either way I think.

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

Both have been scratched for the last few games? Still could go either way I think.

I check that out when I was making my lineup, if those teams get hit with injuries and the young guys take a big step up then we might not get them. Otherwise I think the Yotes and Isles will send them to play big minutes on a big stage. 

Really hope it happens, the thought of Byram playing with Dobson looks just unreal

2 hours ago, Baer. said:

Gold medal contender if we get both and goaltending holds up.  Hayton was really good for us last year.

Still amazes me that it's cheaper to go to tho this tournament than take the ferry from the island and see it in our own backyard.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Doubt Dobson or Hayton will be available.  Still a very strong lineup for Canada that I'm excited to see.   Can't wait to see Woo and Podz battle each other.

Why? Both have only played 2 games so far and healthy scratches for the rest. Highly doubt they stick. If they DO, with how little they are playing both would benefit a ton playing in the tournament and would/should be released for it. 

If anything, Dach has more of a chance of sticking in Chicago. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

If Peyton Krebs is healthy I would pencil him in.  Scheduled to return December.

Definitely. It will be interesting to see how he looks by then. He is skating now, but just light skating so far. 

23 hours ago, Down by the River said:

When I was 19 or so I went to the Czech Republic for the 2008 WJHC in Pardubice. I saw like 11 games including the gold medal, semi finals, and bronze medal game... and I think it cost me less than $150 bucks.

Also, beer was like 17 cents. 

I went the year before in Sweden, games were split between Leksand and Mora. Games were not very highly attended but the few Swedish fans that came out were lots of fun. They had a cheering section where they jumped around and sang songs, one of the highlights was the Swedish cheering section leader took off his jersey and was wearing a "Fire McGuire" shirt underneath.

Also the Toews shootout to beat the Americans... that was pretty good too

• Cheers 1

You guys are all sleeping on Byfield and McMichael. Both tearing up the OHL right now and the rosters have traditionally been OHL heavy. 

Byfield is just coming into his draft year and leads the league in points as a 6'4" 215 pound center. 

McMichael was a last 1st rounder this summer and has 13 goals in 12 games to start the season. Also a center. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

You guys are all sleeping on Byfield and McMichael. Both tearing up the OHL right now and the rosters have traditionally been OHL heavy. 

Byfield is just coming into his draft year and leads the league in points as a 6'4" 215 pound center. 

McMichael was a last 1st rounder this summer and has 13 goals in 12 games to start the season. Also a center. 

So what you're saying is Carson is Focht to make the team.