Sign in to follow this  
Deathrowe

2019/20 World Junior Championships

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

If Canada ends up out and the Czech are still in it, we will be cheering for the home team for sure

 

Go Canada Go

 

and Go Canucks Prospects Go

And Karel Plasek of course.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shiznak said:

There’s pressure on these Canadian kids because to some of these kids, this is their Stanley Cup playoffs. A good chunk of these kids will probably never see a daylight in the NHL. 
 

Just watch the video I posted, and if that doesn’t motivate you to be patriotic. Then I guess this tournament just isn’t for you.

yeah OK, I'll enjoy it the way I want to thanks. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

That's fair; Jake took a ton of abuse for his performance a few years ago, and then DiPietro had to defend his teammates who'd frankly hung him out to dry.  At the end of the day, these are kids who are giving up Christmas with their families to give back to their country.  I'm not going to throw them under the bus but I'm sure as hell going to support them.  Go Canada!

Jakes a good example of what I'm talking about. Mikey showed a lot of leadership in that situation too. For me, paying attention to the Team Canada politics bs side of it and how negative and ugly it can get just annoys me. I prefer to track our Canuck prospects (and future possible picks) and just enjoy the whole thing, vs. making it a patriotism thing. I leave that to men and women in the Olympics who are much better prepared for that kind of spotlight. '

 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't care about patriotism for the WJ's, I only care about how the Canucks prospects perform. Sue me. 

Then watch them in the leagues they play in, which matter may more for their development than a small tournament?

 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

whats with people telling me what I can watch and how to watch it? 

Well I guess you can do whatever you want but don't be surprised when you receive a bit of a backlash like this in a thread full of people who want Canada to win

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't care about patriotism for the WJ's, I only care about how the Canucks prospects perform. Sue me. 

Wack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Time Lord said:

Well I guess you can do whatever you want but don't be surprised when you receive a bit of a backlash like this in a thread full of people who want Canada to win

thats fine, but to be clear I support the kids, I don't like the pressure and politics that team Canada have become, and the media side of it is terrible. A lot of people hate the Olympics for similar reasons. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats fine, but to be clear I support the kids, I don't like the pressure and politics that team Canada have become, and the media side of it is terrible. A lot of people hate the Olympics for similar reasons. 

Don Cherry, on Coaches corner, used to talk about the politics in the World Junior team selection, and how certain NHL teams had their prospects selected to drive TV ratings.  He also said (which got him into some trouble) that there was a quota for French Canadian players that had to be met.  

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don Cherry, on Coaches corner, used to talk about the politics in the World Junior team selection, and how certain NHL teams had their prospects selected to drive TV ratings.  He also said (which got him into some trouble) that there was a quota for French Canadian players that had to be met.  

he would know all the insiders to be able to make that comment for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Don Cherry, on Coaches corner, used to talk about the politics in the World Junior team selection, and how certain NHL teams had their prospects selected to drive TV ratings.  He also said (which got him into some trouble) that there was a quota for French Canadian players that had to be met.  

He did a ton to promote the tournament too, given it was on a different network.  I appreciated him calling out our fans for blasting our kids on Twitter.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Huge:

 

 

Veleno and Hayton on their way. Even more cuts to make room.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss. Those are our top 2 centers right there. Any news on Dobson? He has been scratched for the majority of the Islanders games so far. Would be surprised if he wasn't loaned as well. 

 

Dach is currently on the 4th line with the Hawks so hoping for him too, but he is least likely. 

  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peyton Krebs and Newhook got cut? Is this team really that good to be cutting those two players?

Edited by Rick Blight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Peyton Krebs and Newhook got cut? Is this team really that good to be cutting those two players?

I don't think cuts have even started so not sure where you are getting your info. 

 

Edit: wow never mind. Confirmed cut. 

Edited by RRypien37

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Peyton Krebs and Newhook got cut? Is this team really that good to be cutting those two players?

Newhook a surprise. Krebs still not 100% after surgery, not much of a surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2019 at 2:20 PM, Alflives said:

Don Cherry, on Coaches corner, used to talk about the politics in the World Junior team selection, and how certain NHL teams had their prospects selected to drive TV ratings.  He also said (which got him into some trouble) that there was a quota for French Canadian players that had to be met.  

That's bull.  Absolutely no basis to that argument.    There is a new coach every year, most of these coaches use that platform as a showcase to become an NHL coach.  I'm pretty sure they pick their team.  If these coaches were handcuffed by Hockey Canada and NHL's TV rating players, none of them would want the job.   Who would coach a team that they didn't pick and put their reputation on the line for it?

 

There have been many controversial cut (high profile players) in the past and most time it benefited Canada.  Except 2005, most stacked team Canada under performed.  They won many tournament with many players either not ending in the NHL or becoming bottom 6 players.

 

 

Edited by timberz21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

That's bull.  Absolutely no basis to that argument.    There is a new coach every year, most of these coaches use that platform as a showcase to become an NHL coach.  I'm pretty sure they pick their team.  If these coaches were handcuffed by Hockey Canada and NHL's TV rating players, none of them would want the job.   Who would coach a team that they didn't pick and put their reputation on the line for it?

 

There have been many controversial cut (high profile players) in the past and most time it benefited Canada.  Except 2005, most stacked team Canada under performed.  They won many tournament with many players either not ending in the NHL or becoming bottom 6 players.

 

 

Yep.  You need guys capable of filling a bottom six role to succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.