The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks assign Adam Gaudette to Comets

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

This is a good thing.  Our fourth line is dynamite and no point sitting him .... I’m sure there were a lot of folks that would like to see LE down there - but AG would be sitting instead...he will get his chances later.   Roussel will add some grit and offense - man I love this team right now ...

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Dombrova22 said:

The kid is 23 years old!!! Are we just going to keep him in the minors his whole life? He showed he is ready and deserving of a spot, so why not make room for him. Lots of teams would be interested in him and I really wouldn't blame him if he wanted to pursue a new destination. 

Wouldn’t worry about it - he’s better off playing then sitting and that’s what he’s going to do with Roussel coming back.  We don’t have to waive him, at some point if injuries don’t become a problem JB will make a trade and slip him back into the lineup.  Sutter is the better option at this point - and our bottom six is playing great right now. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

When healthy, that's almost an entire lineup of viable NHL callups, save for Juolevi, only due to playing catch-up after a major injury. Maybe not Lind or Jasek either but those are solid players. Idk much about Camper but he's gotta be decent if he's centering their top line. Impressive.

Edited by Yung1

1 hour ago, Dombrova22 said:

The kid is 23 years old!!! Are we just going to keep him in the minors his whole life? He showed he is ready and deserving of a spot, so why not make room for him. Lots of teams would be interested in him and I really wouldn't blame him if he wanted to pursue a new destination. 

He can only play 15 more NHL games this season before he is waiver eligible.   Next season he will require waivers in any case.  

• Thanks 1

Man, I don't remember a time when the AHL team for the Canucks has been this deep and this talented.  GMJB has done a fantastic job with building depth from the NHL right down through the AHL and junior level prospect ranks.  So glad JB is our GM. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Man, I don't remember a time when the AHL team for the Canucks has been this deep and this talented.  GMJB has done a fantastic job with building depth from the NHL right down through the AHL and junior level prospect ranks.  So glad JB is our GM. 

Too bad Utica is so bad at developing young talent then, amirite?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Too bad Utica is so bad at developing young talent then, amirite?

A bunch of us have been broken records stating 'the depth is coming' to a chorus of 'who?/when?/haven't proven anything'. 

Well, you can see who. When? Starting now. Proven? They're doing it as we speak ;)

And that's only going to increase over the next few years as we add the likes of Rathbone, Woo, Lockwood, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Madden, Keppen, Focht etc, etc to our pro ranks.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 3

47 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

IMO Benning was true to his word. Gaudette deserved to make the team out of training camp and they made room for him. What couldn’t be foreseen is just how our Bottom 6 would perform this season. The chemistry/results of this current lineup is undeniable. 

Ferland-Sutter-Leivo/Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

When healthy this is probably one of the best performing Bottom 6’s we’ve ever had. Tough to possibly disrupt that chemistry by inserting Gaudette into the lineup when we are currently performing so well, which is why we have seen Gaudette in the press box the last few games. Much better for Gaudette’s development to get some big minutes in Utica and then be first call up once the inevitable injuries hit.

Let’s also keep in mind that in the couple weeks that Gaudette was on the big club he would have made the equivalent of his entire AHL salary. Another way the Canucks have shown appreciation for a player that earned it. I’m sure Adam appreciates this and understands the business side of the game and holds no ill will toward the organization.

He’s a high character kid. He’ll go to Utica and perform at a high level and be back with the big club when the need arises. The sky is not falling here folks. This is the reality of the deep lineup we currently have. This is a good thing. 

FastCookedGrayreefshark-size_restricted.

Wait......so it's not going to kill the team by sending down a player that doesn't require waivers?

• Haha 1

I love that this team is full of character guys busting their tail to prove themselves...that's a big win right there. 

And, as the captain demonstrates by being utilized wherever/however he is needed, I fully expect that the players all accept the reasons behind decisions and don't let that interfere in their success.  Players who ask to be moved, etc. aren't really part of that model.

I don't expect this to be an issue (except maybe here)?

I feel that he really did prove himself, but can benefit by now having a sample size of the NHL game to continue to refine his game in a long term plan for success.  Playing better suits that than not playing.  I think watching from the pressbox is more detrimental than playing until the next opportunity presents itself.  He can continue to build on his success.

2 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

Its probably the only thing I am disappointed with JB about because like you said, JB said if someone deserves to make the team he would make room now I understand there are circumstances beyond what we may know but I think it sends a bad message to our prospects moving up the depth chart and may trigger some to request a trade thinking there's no room on our team for them

Making the team is one thing, keeping your spot is another.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Making the team is one thing, keeping your spot is another.

He never got a chance to keep his spot, he should have earned the right to play the first 9 games and then if he didn't produce that justifies the demotion, under existing circumstances, its confusing. In other words he didn't deserve to sit in the press box, he earned the right to be on the ice

23 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

He never got a chance to keep his spot, he should have earned the right to play the first 9 games and then if he didn't produce that justifies the demotion, under existing circumstances, its confusing. In other words he didn't deserve to sit in the press box, he earned the right to be on the ice

So did the 18 skaters who have been playing. The reason he hasn't been playing is because our increased depth and size has dramatically reduced injuries so far. So which of Petey, Bo, Sutter or Beagle should be sitting out so Gaudette can play?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Ohhh, this is going to be controversial.

Exactly what he needs right now. Get some playing time in top 6 role while they resolve space in the lineup.

Right now, its hard to make an argument for changing our lineup unless someone gets injured. We're 6 and 3 to start the season and have outplayed the other team in at least 2 of the 3 games that we lost.

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Graovac and Gadj injured right now. They've been lacking a C for a little while. Cull has placed Lind and Jasek in C roles with all the depth on the wing. Granted everyone is doing great still.

Honestly, we're to a point in the evolution of hockey where it doesn't really matter what position any forward plays, the game flows and players move all over the ice more like there are three rovers up front.  In some cases, when you have an offensive Dman it's like having four rovers.  It makes more difference in the defensive zone where position is a little more critical, but again players tend to flow all over the ice.  Good example is the Petersson line.  I notice Miller takes most of the faceoffs, and Brock even takes faceoffs instead of Petey.  It makes me wonder if Petey's wrist is still painful or is maybe painful again, perhaps the reason he's not blasting one timers?  Utica has been winning with two dedicated centers and a bunch of wingers.  Even though Goldy isn't the center on his line, he's still the primary play maker.  I think this evolution leads to much greater hockey IQ as it makes players see the flow of the play and fill holes vacated by line mates.