The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Penguins trade Erik Gudbranson to Ducks for Andreas Martinsen, 2021 7th-round pick

On 10/26/2019 at 7:26 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

It feels good, doesn’t it?! 

The depth, the future, the battle level and the product... it’s been a great year so far. 

I did not know this about Madden. I’ve not been following much this year due to home reno stuff, etc. I’ll be heading over to look at what our prospects are up to after reading this. Thanks! 

Can someone tell me how Gaudette is doing in Utica, or is it too soon to say? 

Not sure if you checked things out. Gaud scored a goal in his one game over the weekend, looked ok. Most of the team had a bad night that night. The Hershey Bears really took it to them...if it wasn’t for Mikey DiPietro they probably wouldn’t have won. I’m so happy with how Mikey has been playing...lights out...and is on the verge of possibly stealing the starters gig on the farm...in my humble opinion. This kid is a battler/winner.

Madden has 5 goals in 6 games...his team in total has scored I think 14 goals...so his goal count is even more impressive. He’s off to a similar start as last season...driving the bus and looking good doing it.

cheers

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

http://md-akc.med.nhl.com/mp4/nhl/2019/10/28/ed2c5c89-f3f8-4a06-9834-db0e84c95185/1572223193398/asset_1800k.mp4

Gudbranson with the bad pinch and is unable to get back allowing Roy to score his first NHL goal.  Also poor defending by Del Zotto

Gudbranson actually got the puck. Took a unfortunate bounce off Del Zotto back to Roy to get the shot. Bad pinches happen to any dman.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Man.

DEL ZOTTO - GUDBRANSON

Horrible.

And yet, a combined +9 this season.

The issue with Gudbranson has always been how much we paid to get him. But considering the Ducks paid almost nothing, it seems they are getting decent return on their investment.

And even though his cap hit is too high, MDZ is only paid $750K, so $4.75M combined for a veteran 3rd pairing isn't terrible. It's much better than the $7M we were giving them.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

On 11/5/2019 at 3:14 PM, D-Money said:

And yet, a combined +9 this season.

The issue with Gudbranson has always been how much we paid to get him. But considering the Ducks paid almost nothing, it seems they are getting decent return on their investment.

And even though his cap hit is too high, MDZ is only paid $750K, so $4.75M combined for a veteran 3rd pairing isn't terrible. It's much better than the $7M we were giving them.

Gudbranson was a good character guy. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/27/2019 at 11:55 PM, -AJ- said:

To be fair, he dominated with Detroit. He's only succeeded in the regular season with Toronto thus far.

Dominated with a team that consisted of a few HOF’ers, including the league’s best d man and probably the best two way centre in the game at the time. Once Lidstrom left he didn’t accomplish much at all. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/28/2019 at 9:52 AM, canuck73_3 said:

One cup with that team? He should have 2-3 minimum with that team. Overrated.

Yip. Babcock = Overrated. One cup and how many Jack Adams? Zero. Just because the Toronto hockey world called him the best coach in the world doesn't make it so.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/28/2019 at 12:35 PM, Toews said:

Its amazing how bad this guy was in his time as a Canuck but still managed to build up a fan club because he was 6'5 and could throw. People made all sorts of excuses for his poor play, from blaming management for not getting the right partner for him to the coaching staff for not putting him in a position to succeed. Gudbranson brought plenty of physicality but it was neutered by his lack of mobility. He was a defensive defenseman who was tentative in his own zone, unable to commit due to fear of getting caught flat-footed. I think he was just born in the wrong era, he would have been perfect in the dead puck era.

Spot on. 

I’m still amazed at the cultic following Guddy built up despite him being a disaster of a hockey player for the simple fact that he was big and a ‘stand-up Iocker room guy.’ CDC can be scary some times. 

• Wat 2

• 2 months later...

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/jan-2020/a-new-dynamic-duo-in-anaheim

Great partnerships can form in unexpected ways. Just ask the Anaheim Ducks, whom even in their wildest of dreams, probably did not imagine that Erik Gudbranson and Cam Fowler would form a legitimate shutdown pairing that would redefine their defense corps as a whole. And yet, that is exactly what has happened.

Not going to waste a lot of time on this except to state the following facts:

1) Gudbranson enjoys the best underlying numbers on the Ducks blueline = 43.7% ozone starts and 50.7% corsi.  Cam Fowler - the other part of their new dynamic duo has 54.1% ozone starts and a 52.6% corsi.   In Gudbranson's absence, Fowler's numbers are heavliy ozone start slanted - while Gudbranson has the best situational differential on the Ducks' blueline.

2) Gudbranson - at 20:08 ice-time a game is 3rd on the Ducks blueline.  That slightly edges Josh Manson - who happens to be a hell of a good RHD btw.

3) Gudbranson is also a principal Ducks penalty killer - at over 2 minutes pk/game.  His 8.0 goals against per 60 on the pk equals Tanev's numbers (playing with some outstanding penalty killers in Vancouver - when the team is healthy) - and is better than Edler's 8.7 per 60 = the Canucks two principal penalty killing defensemen - who also happen to play with a few of the league's most elite penalty killing forwards - and faceoff guys.

Anyhow - it's nice to see a former Canuck doing well - one that was generally (ala Sbisa) sandbagged here (shutdown/role D rarely look good or have flattering numbers on shallow, struggling, injured, rethinging teams.  Like Pedan, Gudbranson was a guy with a very good toolbox, and good A to B / north-south speed who could really enhance his effectiveness if he could improve his principal limitation = lateral movement (which he appears to continue to improve upon, while having a host of other strengths to bring (EG is an excellent deterent to controlled entries for example, and not many forwards want to enter the space he occupies).   In the end I'm happy enough with the Pearson deal, particularly when the team managed to add Myers to the right side at what I consider a good fit and cap value (Myers being a 'two-way' D - and starting to hit his scoring stride does add some versatility to Green's options) - and Tanev has proven an excellent fit alongside Hughes.    But best of luck to Gudbranson - the hate he received in Van wasn't really warranted imo.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Check out +/- stats on the Ducks 

MDZ is the best on the team !

That bumb was so bad that....St Louis decided to spend a pick to add him for their playoff run depth last year.

(and then signed that bumb Pouliot on day 1 of free agency last summer....)

I think Fowler is 1st and MDZ 2nd.....Fowler has been his most frequent partner (38.8% of his ice time) - between Gud and MDZ the Ducks seem to have found an alternating situational O/D pair of former Canuck partners for Fowler.

Anyhow, let's see what Benning et al can make of that 7th round pick they got for MDZ...you never know - he might go from serviceable depth D here to having provided a decent longshot prospect.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:03 AM, oldnews said:

Anyhow, let's see what Benning et al can make of that 7th round pick they got for MDZ...you never know - he might go from serviceable depth D here to having provided a decent longshot prospect.

7th round picks turning into an NHL prospect....  not likely. 

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

7th round picks turning into an NHL prospect....  not likely. 

Not likely however their most recent 7th round picks look like they could be players. 

Mcdonough is looking like a great late pick. Even as an overage pick the fact that he is a point a game player and showing chemistry with Madden is encouraging.

Arvid Costmar is also heating up in the lower leagues in Sweden. He’s still a long ways away but could potentially be one of those classic late blooming Swedes like Patrick Hornqvist.

Also gives Benning and co the ability to package an extra pick to move up into the 6th or even 5th round where we’ve had decent success (Gaudette, Utunen, Focht).

• Cheers 1