The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 25, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Also, Markstrom only let in 1 weak goal. The last one he could have had if he battled harder (as a goalie you can see this coming a mile away that the frustration was building and led to the lack of effort to peek thru screens on the last goal) but the rest were screened shots or great looks. His only really bad one was the 5 hole one. When your entire team decides to stop playing hockey and put 6 goaltenders out there, it's tough to see the puck. He needed to be better, but the team needed a smack to wake up. 

It's a shame it came after they had already tied the game. 

I wouldn’t say that’s true. Everyone should rightfully still have full trust in Marky because he’s been a stud. However this game has to be on him if we’re just focusing on a single game ignoring other circumstances.

Goalies nowadays in the NHL should be expected to make saves and strive for perfection based on how good goalies are getting. I would bet Markstrom his coaches will have the mindset that at least 2 of those goals were unacceptable. 

As a team, or for us as fans, the worst thing we can do is put him down because of it, something we’ve done way too many times in the Luongo era.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I think the Canucks would have had a similar result against the Rangers but the Rangers are not a high quality tem like the Caps.

I chalk this up to a lesson learned for an up and coming team and their coaching staff. They can take this and learn from it and go on a run for the next 5 months that will put them in the playoffs.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Grape said:

I wouldn’t say that’s true. Everyone should rightfully still have full trust in Marky because he’s been a stud. However this game has to be on him if we’re just focusing on a single game ignoring other circumstances.

Goalies nowadays in the NHL should be expected to make saves and strive for perfection based on how good goalies are getting. I would bet Markstrom his coaches will have the mindset that at least 2 of those goals were unacceptable. 

As a team, or for us as fans, the worst thing we can do is put him down because of it, something we’ve done way too many times in the Luongo era.

He was rattled by that SH goal you could tell. Remember how bad goals would effect him like that. He’s been able to move past those and focus on the next shot over the past several months. Today for whatever reason he wasn’t able to.

Green can't protect a lead. Plain and simple. Yea Marky could've made a save or two, and there were some chances to end the game in OT, but Green has got to learn not to sit on leads and to use his timeout before the game is tied...

I have more confidence in our PK than protecting a lead.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Green can't protect a lead. Plain and simple. Yea Marky could've made a save or two, and there were some chances to end the game in OT, but Green has got to learn not to sit on leads and to use his timeout before the game is tied...

I have more confidence in our PK than protecting a lead.

What other lead did they blow?

Didn’t get to see the game..:first miss of the season...

looked like a tough one to swallow... but newsflash... it happens... to young teams in particular...

If anyone thought we were going to sail into the sunset without set backs, they would be delusional. 
You never wanna give up a 4 goal lead, but the team will probably learn a lot more, about themselves and as a team, from this, than most of the other games...

At the start of the season most of us expected the team to be a bubble team, hopefully with playoffs... we are still on course for that. 
Bring on the Panthers and lets clean the slate... onwards and upwards

• Upvote 2

This team needs to learn how to get pucks out of the zone simply, too many picked off clearances and the Caps didn't even hit us with a hard forecheck like the Rangers did. Our defence has really struggled up against a fast forecheck.

Obviously Marky let some soft ones in but I think this falls on our whole team. Forwards stopped grinding in the O zone were happy to play it safe, D couldn't get the puck out of the zone safely and made far too many stupid plays (no one talking about Hughes' -4??) and Markstrom should have stopped those long range shots.

This is the flip side of playing with a young high octane run and gun team - you get losses like this. This is ideally when we need a stabilizing force, we were lucky against NYR it was Markstrom but this is when the defence have to help out. Whole team effort, whole team got us up miraculously to 5-1 and the whole team blew it in the end.

Green needs to learn as well and work on evading the forecheck and getting the puck out of the zone safely.

Nice to see some well reasoned posts amongst the hysteria. The sky is not falling, the team has 13 points in its last 8 games and is plAying decent hockey for the most part.

It’s really hard to understand the Green hate.

He’s well respected in hockey circles. The 20-20 second guessing from our fan base is off the charts. 
Tonight’s loss was hard to take, but you don’t fire the coach every time the team disappoint you. Call me an idiot, but I am jacked about the direction that this team is headed. 
on to the next game.

GCG:towel:

• Cheers 3

I can’t believe people are trying to blame the refs on this one. Did the refs allow a player to score with less than a second left on the period. Every team in the league gets calls and doesn’t get calls it’s just how it goes. 

Anyways this is a young team and something that they will learn over the season is how to close out opponents. Tonight was a good lesson of what happens when you let your foot off the gas with a lead. Sometimes painful lessons are the ones you learn from. 

I’ve noticed this becoming a trend in the short season. We have an amazing defensive team who should be able to hold leads. Big guys who can forecheck and cycle and keep the puck in the o-zone. Offence is the best defence and this group will learn that with time. On to the next one!

I think we lost the game on Horvat's weak play on the SH goal. Hopefully Bo himself recognizes that and realizes that as a leader you can't make a half-hearted effort like that on the ice no matter the situation. Not saying there weren't other factors as well - team laying off, Marky letting in a couple of questionable ones, PP not getting it done - but to me that SH goal is the definitite turning point in the game.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This is the difference when Marky doesn’t stand on his head. He’s been masking some poor defensive play that we should have been blown out in other games.

Maybe now they’ll focus on tightening things up a little more.

I agree with this. QH is fun to watch, but his defensive zone play needs A LOT of work. He was on the ice for four goals against. On the last two Washington goals, a man was screening with nobody challenging him, and Quinn was about five feet away checking NOBODY. He looked like he was waiting for a pass or something. Go stand next to the guy, check his stick and maybe the shot hits you. Yes Marky was not great, but it's hard to stop what you can't see. He made some incredible saves early to bail the boys out, the boys let Marky down by not bailing him out!

Edited by canuckleheads fan

2018-19 after 10 games 6-4 with wins against strong teams like Calgary, TB, Pittsburgh, Boston, Vegas and losses to strong teams like Carolina, Wpg and Wash. 30GF 31GA -1

2019-20 after 10 games 6-3-1 with wins against mediocre teams like LA, Det. (twice), NYR, Phi and losses to mediocre teams like Edm., NJ 35GF 25GA +10

They've remained healthy these first 10 games whereas they were missing EP and Brock for portions of the first 10 games last season.

If EP and Brock were out for 2-3 games each and the Canucks had slightly better opponents these first 10 games any guesses as to what their record would be..?

The change in goal differential is good but the quality of opponents was clearly higher last season through the first 10 so the difference of 6GA is not that surprising and the difference in GF is just the extra 4-5 goals that were nice but not needed in the Kings game.

The team is definitely different this year but take into account the opponents, injuries etc and last season was easily the better start. Once the competition ramps up (and inevitable injuries come) this season then we'll see what this team is really made of.

Edited by GritGrinder