The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 25, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Toyotasfan said:

In the future games,

What if Virtannen and Ferland were played more in the 3rd period and Hughes was used in the shoot out ?

In future games how about our coach doesn’t play a clearly exhausted goalie, when we have a well rested (and top quality) backup?

Marky was terrible all game.  His movements were slow, and his angles were off.  He was clearly tired physically, but especially mentally.  

Green cost our boys that game.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Holtby played last night.. Markstrom looked shaky out there, the only reason why I think he wasn't pulled is because of Demko's age.

No way did you deserve a stink face emoji for stating the truth.  Marky was a tired guy.  Demko should have stated.  Now Green has to play Marky next game.  He’s painted himself into a corner.  

7 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Tired from what?

Didn’t Marky take a leave to fly to Sweden to deal with family matters?  Didn’t he fly back and join the club out east?  Didn’t he then play?  Didn’t he then fly back here?  When Marky gets tired (in this case both physically and mentally) his game breaks down.  Ian Clarke has spoken about this, and why it’s great we have Demko.  I’d be shocked if Clarke wanted to start Marky last night.  That was all on Green.  

An exciting game.

Canucks scored 5 in the third a few games ago, Washington scored 4 unanswered and a shootout to win this game, it all evens out but this was an exciting game.

I disagree the Marky was physically tired only, mostly mentally tired or stressed.

Canucks should have won this going away

It is early in the season yet though, too early to quit. Funny thing about this season thanks to trading away a first pick, if they don't make the playoffs it is a win because this is such a good and deep draft year and if they do then Tampa may not get such a good player at the draft, could you imagine them getting a Paternak and solidifying their status for another decade and have more cap room thanks to the Canucks.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

1 hour ago, Krzysl said:

I come to this forum for pure entertainment and a constant reminder why the Canucks fans are a bottom 5 in the league. Up one day and everybody loves Marky down one bad game and everybody hates marky. This fan base has more mood swings then a teenaged girl. 

check around the league , fans are no different on every team.

Great two periods. 

I think Wilson should have been dealt with sooner. He was quiet after Fer confronted him.  He gave them a boost of energy. Also we can't skate like we're going to get a fair shake on the calls. As soon as you 'expect' calls and don't get them its a distraction. 

Both Tanev and Hughes can't both be offensive one has to be a stay at home type. Tanev looks like he wants to change his game to carrying more.

If we get leads we should have a trap system to conserve energy and block the neutral zone. And finish your checks and keep a less risky system.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

My thoughts of the game

1). I think this underlines that although Markstrom has made great strides, he is far from elite (as some state), and can still let soft ones in, when the quality of competition is higher (this is extremely important in playoff hockey)

2). I though Tanev sucked and cost us goals

3. The goal at the end of the 2nd was preventable, in the fact that the Canucks should have tightened up. IMO, it is what lost us the game

4. I thought the non-penalty calls were a factor

5. I think that skating against Tom Wilson and Hathaway, underlines, that although we have come along way, we need to find that guy that can play in the line up, but still be a deterrent….like a real big physical winger guy....they are hard to find! 

6. I think Quinn needs to be given more of a green light (pardon the pun)  to control the puck, skating it out, and using his instincts, when he does, he controls the game

7. I hope Quinn does not look at the -4, it could affect him...I hope not

8. I think that Quinn should be out on the shoot out as well (suggested by others)

Like others I am disappointed in the final out come.

Every “elite” goaltenders have had stinkers. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Canucks still not operating at their best yet still pulled out a point, albeit they should've had this one.

But once they are at their best...who knows how dangerous they could be.  Season is still young, 10 games in, team still has yet to look really sharp through a full 60 mins.  I see that on the horizon though and I'm excited as heck because we could have a lot of potential to do a lot of damage. 

lets see how the boys respond monday

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

My thoughts of the game

1). I think this underlines that although Markstrom has made great strides, he is far from elite (as some state), and can still let soft ones in, when the quality of competition is higher (this is extremely important in playoff hockey)

2). I though Tanev sucked and cost us goals

3. The goal at the end of the 2nd was preventable, in the fact that the Canucks should have tightened up. IMO, it is what lost us the game

4. I thought the non-penalty calls were a factor

5. I think that skating against Tom Wilson and Hathaway, underlines, that although we have come along way, we need to find that guy that can play in the line up, but still be a deterrent….like a real big physical winger guy....they are hard to find! 

6. I think Quinn needs to be given more of a green light (pardon the pun)  to control the puck, skating it out, and using his instincts, when he does, he controls the game

7. I hope Quinn does not look at the -4, it could affect him...I hope not

8. I think that Quinn should be out on the shoot out as well (suggested by others)

Like others I am disappointed in the final out come.

1, Marky is fine. he looks tired after traveling half way around the world in the last two weeks. Whatever he had to go home for must still be on his mind. The save he made in the first period just before the opening goal was awesome. He cant win every game by himself and there are bound to be some clunkers

2. I agree that was not a game that goes on the Chris Tanev Highlight video the first Capitals goal was directly his fault throwing the puck up the middle right onto the other teams stick 20 feet in front of your goalie is not a good way to be successful. Tanev has been good this year. This wasnt a very good game for him or Quinn defensively

3. the goal at the end of the second changed the game. Goals in the last minute and the first minute of a period are heart breakers.

4 Non calls may have been a factor but every team gets them. The only thing that really bothered me was when the Canucks were up big the Refs seemed like they didnt want to give the Canucks another power play even though some were deserved.

5 I thought the Canucks did very well against Wilson , he is a pain in the a$$ for most teams to play against but they did well against him and didnt back down

6. I think Quinn already has the green light and he does it very well. He is gaining confidence each game and the rush on the power play to set up Boesers goal  was a beauty, not really concerned here, he will get it and learn how to be better defensively also

7, As a young player Quinn is going to make some mistakes out there. He has 10 games of experience this season and 4 or so last season. -4 is not a good night considering he was on the ice for Boesers goal. That makes him on the ice for all 5 goals against, not a night he will want to remember fondly.I could be wrong on how the plus minus works so if someone knows better please let me know.

8 I dont know that Quinn  should be on the shootout but until we try him a couple times why not? Although they do practice it... so maybe there's a reason. Pearson wouldnt have been my guy to go to over Leivo but I also might have given Miller a chance.Again the team does practice shoot outs so they might know who is better at it than others, by the way Petey is money in them

As for the game itself , it was entertaining, it was a learning experience which all teams go through against a very good team. If Markstrom needs a rest then play TD against the Panthers. It hurts to let that point get away especially after coming back to steal two against the wings. If you told everyone we would be 6-3 -1 in our first ten games this season I think most of us would have taken it. If we keep that pace through the season and finished with 48 wins i believe we would be quite happy.  On to the next 10 games and win 6 more.

• Upvote 1

Good game overall. Great atmosphere. Still think Van fans need to learn how to truly be fans. Maybe a 1/3 of fans were wearing colours in lower bowl. Guy came down to get the fans riled up. Dead silence... weak. Go to a game in the saddle dome, Almost playoff atmosphere there every game.

Watched the replay again and man Marky 3 softies. Rest of team played great. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Green says he holds players accountable 

he did not hold Pearson accountable and he did not reward Jake and Ferland 

can’t  stand him as a coach. He has his favourites and it’s obvious 

we play marginal players while we waste away Gaud and Baer in Utica and even worse he does not make in game adjustments that make any degree of sense

we blow a 4 goal lead and Green just rationalizes it away and he will make zero changes and hope for the best. That is the extent of his limited coaching ability 

real coaches like JQ and Tippett are getting it done with much weaker rosters 

Wow, don't let facts get in your way.  Real coaches like JQ? ... the coach who has a 4-2-4 record?  The team that's been suppose to be a real good team who signed Bobrovsky?  Who has a true elite #1 centreman and RW in Barkov and Huberdeau?  Had a #1 overall drafted D-men in Ekblad?  I don't think that's a much weaker roster.  Stop your TG hating, you're sounding stupid, considering facts don't back it up.

• Upvote 1

Let’s look at the bigger picture, team looks good

and...... Chris Tanev is still in the line up!  In fact no one has been injured I repeat no injuries!!! Probably because we are playing more in the opposing end this year 

*knocks on hardwood floor*

Edited by Filthy McNasty

Ummm the caps also let in 5 goals too... cup contenders and we pumped them. Couple screens and deflections on Marky that led to goals. He has also had a long couple weeks. Maybe a couple days off to settle his mind, he was dialled in since his return, perhaps his focus slightly derailed from hockey and went towards family matters.

Regardless, the boys played a pretty good game, sucks to lose a point but on the plus side, PP goals, shorty and goals from all over the roster. Carry that on to the next game.

26 minutes ago, EliasBoeser said:

Being at that game was an interesting experience haha the whole sensation of “were a legit team” came crashing down pretty quick in the third 

To put themselves in a position to absorb an onslaught of goals from a very good Capitals team was the flipside though.   I don't take away that they're not good from this...I take away that both teams are.  And it was a battle where one started well and the other ended well.

• Upvote 1