Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 25, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

27 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Seems to be our main weak point so far.

Complacency with a substantial lead.

We'll learn, I'm not worried.

I think we only gave up 7 shots in the third.  Marky was terrible, because he was so tired from travel, and family worries.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Hes playing for a contract.  Hes played well, but hes not yet forgiven for that godawful performance last year.  I can't remember seeing such an uninspired effort from a player for such a long stretch, than a i saw from Schaller last year.

Schaller is playing exactly like he did in Boston, this is how he plays when he's not dealing with recovery from hand surgery. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Schaller is playing exactly like he did in Boston, this is how he plays when he's not dealing with recovery from hand surgery. 

Beagle, Sutter, and Schaller struggled last season for various reasons.  We are now seeing what those three players bring, when healthy.  Beagle and Schaller look like they are complete pains in the ass to play against.  Love JB got us guys like that.  Add Roussell, Ferland, Miller, and Jake, and that’s a team of guys who play hard.  Myers, Edler, and Benn can be nasty too.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we only gave up 7 shots in the third.  Marky was terrible, because he was so tired from travel, and family worries.  

I didn't watch the game but from what I watched on the highlights, I blame them all.

You just can't let them back in the game like that.

I spoke up about this on the Rangers game, saying it was a problem, and everyone told me to be happy with the 'W'.

Now the roles are reversed, and Washington was the "tired team" on a back to back and they still came back and beat us.

No excuses.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I didn't watch the game but from what I watched on the highlights, I blame them all.

I spoke up about this on the Rangers game, saying it was a problem, and everyone told me to be happy with the 'W'.

Now the roles are reversed, and Washington was the "tired team" on a back to back and they still came back and beat us.

No excuses.

It’s a team game, but the goalie affects the results the most.  Marky let in shots the guys have to give up.  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I didn't watch any replays, but I recall them beating him twice over the pad and under the glove. Maybe Washington noticed a weakness and told their team-mates where to shoot. Just going off of memory

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

The camera panned to the Canucks bench when they were up 4 or 5-1 and the boys were all laughing having a good time.  I thought to myself "hmm they better keep their composure here to avoid any type of careless injury.." then kuznetsov scored and it gave me an awful feeling.  Next thing you know... 6-5 loss

Keep it together for a full 60 boys

They’ll learn a lot from the loss. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Green says he holds players accountable 

he did not hold Pearson accountable and he did not reward Jake and Ferland 

can’t  stand him as a coach. He has his favourites and it’s obvious 

we play marginal players while we waste away Gaud and Baer in Utica and even worse he does not make in game adjustments that make any degree of sense

we blow a 4 goal lead and Green just rationalizes it away and he will make zero changes and hope for the best. That is the extent of his limited coaching ability 

real coaches like JQ and Tippett are getting it done with much weaker rosters 

Any team with a 5-1 lead should be able to finish the game with a win if they play the full 60 minutes....for whatever reason...coaches strategy, complacency, smugness,  confidence, not in shape, underestimate, etc. the team needs to work out the kinks.

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Way more Pitbull than Bo?  I love the Podz pick, and hes going to be a heck of a player for us but fans often have a tendancy to overrate players that have yet to play an NHL game.  I get why.. its because we havent seen any downsides to their games yet and thats when the fantasy of the player living up to your expectations thrives. 

I can't wait till Podz gets here. Hes going to be great, but not many players in the league have the power and the motor that Bo has.  

I was thinking that Podk's pit is more edgy and mean.  I've read a few times, that one of the things he has to learn is to control his temper better.  Bo and VP play a similar game, but at this point Podk is just a kid who has a long way to go before he is comparable to Bo as an NHL player.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Anybody else think Demko should get the start next game?

Absolutely not

Put marky back in so he knows the coach and team still have confidence in him. Which they should.

Sure he cost the game with a couple stinkers, but he's won a couple games this year as well

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Knucklehd said:

What a great game to be at.  Thoroughly entertaining, yet utterly dissapointing how we lost.  Shell shocked to the say the least.

That said, having slept on the results. I actually feel in the long run this will benefit the growth of the team more than the win would.  We showed we can play great hockey, had we continued to steamroll the Caps, I would worry that the team would get overconfident and stop working as hard as they have to be great, thus developing crap habits and entitled work ethic. 

With this loss, we still get a point, we don't give up a point to a team in our conference, and we get a bit of a slap upside the head.  A wake up call if you will.  

They will now be pissed and motivated going into the Florida game to try and put a strong 60 mins together and as a result, continuing to imbed strong habits.

Mistakes can teach just as much, if not more than successes.

My thoughts for what it is worth.

Well said. Pretty much what I came here to post. Anyone who uses this loss to "jump" on the Canucks, just keep in mind... every single great player or great team has been BLOWN out big time at some point. Doesn't matter if you are Mario Lemieux or Patrick Roy (letting in 9 goals). Point is... part of a players identity is losing games like this and learning a hard lesson. Heck, look at Ovechkin. Lets not forget how bad of a game he had and how his team was down 5-1. But Ovie has been there before, and because of that, he was able to help rally the team back from a 5-1 loss. That is experience. Notice how when they scored the 3rd goal our team became all shaky and nervous? The only way to fix that is EXPERIENCE. The players need to go through games like this in the regular season so when they find themselves in this same position in the future they can do what Washington did to us last night. The great thing about this lesson is we still got 1 point out of it. Travis Green secretly is probably pretty happy with last night because it brings his players egos down a check and now he can raise them back up.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Well said. Pretty much what I came here to post. Anyone who uses this loss to "jump" on the Canucks, just keep in mind... every single great player or great team has been BLOWN out big time at some point. Doesn't matter if you are Mario Lemieux or Patrick Roy (letting in 9 goals). Point is... part of a players identity is losing games like this and learning a hard lesson. Heck, look at Ovechkin. Lets not forget how bad of a game he had and how his team was down 5-1. But Ovie has been there before, and because of that, he was able to help rally the team back from a 5-1 loss. That is experience. Notice how when they scored the 3rd goal our team became all shaky and nervous? The only way to fix that is EXPERIENCE. The players need to go through games like this in the regular season so when they find themselves in this same position in the future they can do what Washington did to us last night. The great thing about this lesson is we still got 1 point out of it. Travis Green secretly is probably pretty happy with last night because it brings his players egos down a check and now he can raise them back up.

Whole heartedly agree.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Anybody else think Demko should get the start next game?

Heck no. The Canucks have made it clear this year that Markstrom is their guy. Last night was not his fault, the team collapsed. Furthermore, this is the last year of Markstrom's contract and because of that you want to work him HARD to see if he can handle it. It's sort of like owning a car and the warranty expires in a few days, so you run it hard, go over everything really good, etc. The last thing I want the Canucks to do is only play Marky 55 games and give him inflated well-rested stats so they can then overpay for him in the offseason. I would rather see them work him 65 games minimum and if he can still hold a 0.915 to 0.925 then we will talk.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Tystick said:

No excuses.

3 of those goals were soft. first the Tip in through markys pads. Gotta keep the knees together on butterfly. Then two point shots that markstrom saw the whole way. No tips no screen. Just $&!# the bed on those 3. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2