The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Think Green is crippling Pettersson with a dump and chase style

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

I'd have to agree in that Pettersson has had a change in style due to a change in coaching style and linemates. Miller is much more of a safe puck retrieval dump and chase player compared to Goldobin who he played with most of last season who was far more puck possession and skill based. I think this adjustment is necessary though, and while we lose out on nice zone entries, we gain far more with Miller than Goldobin down below the line, in the front of the net and defensively. Sadly though some of Pettersson's skill play gets sacrificed and we don't see any more of that beautiful puck possession and passing play we did previously.

The powerplay has changed dramatically though and I agree that we should see Pettersson try to be set up for a shot more often. He has arguably the best shot of the team and we've completely ignored this weapon so far this season. I love the point shots and screens, but we should at least try and mix things up and have Petey let one timers go from the circle/side boards like we did last season. Not sure why this has been ignored so far this season.

I wouldn't worry about Pettersson though, he's quietly over a point per game and racking up points despite not dominating play which is incredible. The most important thing is that the entire team offence is clicking and we're winning, as opposed to last season and years past where we had one strong top line, 3 terrible stagnant lines and never won anything.

This is a shift in the right direction, yes it's a bit of sacrifice of Pettersson's skills but it's for the greater good of the team. I would however like to see this skill on display a bit more on the powerplay because we don't lose anything having him rip one timers on the half boards.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Where are the goals?

And yeah, 11 points in 10 games looks ok... but how was he doing 10 games into the season last year.... (much higher)  and where did his points total end???

players on the other teams didn't know him  so left him alone, nothing wrong with the way he or the other Canucks are playing, a goal is a goal whether it be pretty or as you say garbage goal

Edited by bree2

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Opponents focus their top D lines/pairs on EP's line

So last year the opponent didn't focus on Boeser and the rookie everyone was talking about? 

Five games into the season were enough to let every oppo to know what danger Boeser and Petey is. 

21 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd have to agree in that Pettersson has had a change in style due to a change in coaching style and linemates. Miller is much more of a safe puck retrieval dump and chase player compared to Goldobin who he played with most of last season who was far more puck possession and skill based. I think this adjustment is necessary though, and while we lose out on nice zone entries, we gain far more with Miller than Goldobin down below the line, in the front of the net and defensively. Sadly though some of Pettersson's skill play gets sacrificed and we don't see any more of that beautiful puck possession and passing play we did previously.

The powerplay has changed dramatically though and I agree that we should see Pettersson try to be set up for a shot more often. He has arguably the best shot of the team and we've completely ignored this weapon so far this season. I love the point shots and screens, but we should at least try and mix things up and have Petey let one timers go from the circle/side boards like we did last season. Not sure why this has been ignored so far this season.

I wouldn't worry about Pettersson though, he's quietly over a point per game and racking up points despite not dominating play which is incredible. The most important thing is that the entire team offence is clicking and we're winning, as opposed to last season and years past where we had one strong top line, 3 terrible stagnant lines and never won anything.

This is a shift in the right direction, yes it's a bit of sacrifice of Pettersson's skills but it's for the greater good of the team. I would however like to see this skill on display a bit more on the powerplay because we don't lose anything having him rip one timers on the half boards.

Well said.  Could add the first line wasn’t doing much of anything until Miller was added - and they’ve both publicly said that they like having him on their line and that he’s teaching them things they didn’t do before.    Also would add that because they face the best defensive lines and or the other teams top lines regularly - there is a trickle down effect that helps the rest of the team get on the scoreboard too.   Much rather have all the lines contributing then one great line and the rest ok.  That’s on JB too, and TG for making the tough decisions on who gets to play.   Schaller has become a valuable player - and our team is bigger, tougher and harder to play against by going with all-around types as opposed to one dimensional players.

Yes id like to see EP shoot more and definitely they should be setting him up to fire away - but he’s got to shoot it instead of passing it off as well - that’s not on the coach.   Sure they practice set plays and sometimes they work,  but I’d hope they have the freedom to mix it up and not become too predictable.   Having possession like he Sedins mastered is nice, but I’d rather just see lots of pucks on the net and go for dirty goals then watch 2:00 minutes of cycling anyday.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

He's missed quite a few shots, and some have hit the post. If some of those go in/hit the net, we're not having this conversation. 

Out of everyone on our team, I worry about EP the least.

Boeser is another story - he was so dangerous in his rookie season, now I barely notice him out there.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TU90 said:

He's missed quite a few shots, and some have hit the post. If some of those go in/hit the net, we're not having this conversation. 

Boeser is another story - he was so dangerous in his rookie season, now I barely notice him out there.

Yes he could have had another 3-5 goals with any luck on those post/crossbar or near misses...he had 8 in one game alone...

EP will overcome whatever challenges Green throws at him and with the way he has grown physically this year...he could end up being 6'4" and over 200 Lbs.!

That growth spurt has probably affected his overall mobility/co-ordination as welll...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Yes he could have had another 3-5 goals with any luck on those post/crossbar or near misses...he had 8 in one game alone...

EP will overcome whatever challenges Green throws at him and with the way he has grown physically this year...he could end up being 6'4" and over 200 Lbs.!

That growth spurt has probably affected his overall mobility/co-ordination as welll...

Good points about his growth impacting his game. He is being much more successful this year over last on the physical side. I would add that teams this year are not being taken by surprise. EP40 is getting much more attention which equals less space. As mentioned by other posters his d-side game is much more noticeable this year. A fully grown Petey is going to be very fun to watch. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

A few things, 

Petey has won the calder, drawing much more attention from the opposing teams best defensive players.

I have noticed the last few games that opposing players are legitimately doing dirty things to Petey with no repercussions.

Add in that he has experimented with a few new things he has added to his repertoire.

New edges... new stick i think? Or shooting style? 

Sophomore slump ? Naah not really for EP40.

I do think Petey is too hard on himself,  though it is a good thing.

I've also noticed Petey is not as happy after scoring...

I think he may be displeased that he didn't get the C but that's something he will need to get over if it is an issue, Petey is GREAT but he's no Bowie!

Horvat was drafted as a leader with character, he's been groomed for the C since he was drafted.

Petey will be fine, it's literally 10 games in and he is over a PPG and looking good. 

PETEY HAS NOT EVEN PLAYED 82 NHL GAMES!

Edit

I forgot to mention i want reaves on the roster asap, if anyone looks at petey even for a millisecond I'd like some brain damage to be the end result.

So much randomness and no points being made here

Petey is on pace for 90 points and yet somehow this is trying to be spun into blaming Coach Green because he’s not as dominant as last year? 

Right.... do you think that maybe it’s because everyone knows about Petey this year? He faces every team’s top shutdown defence and forwards every night and constantly has 2-3 guys covering him. 

Green’s system is hardly hurting his production.:picard:

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Where are the goals?

And yeah, 11 points in 10 games looks ok... but how was he doing 10 games into the season last year.... (much higher)  and where did his points total end???

10 games into the season and this is ?

Do you wait for your toast to be where you like it in the morning? 

11 points in 10 games in the NHL ..  is elite.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Where are the goals?

We all saw that was not sustainable as Petey fizzled out in the second half of the season. I think his style of play this year is more tailored out for a consistent showing in an 82 game season. On top of that, all teams now know him pretty well and defend against him as they should.

• Cheers 1

I think it's great that they've been able to get more greasy goals... That was the issue last year, as soon as he pretty plays weren't working the production ended, mostly due to the match ups hey started getting. Be patient, the skill will come out soon and the production will skyrocket.

Petey is more than just a great offensive player. I am seeing him doing defensive plays and going into the boards and being a force on the defensive side of the puck. 

I know it's early in his career but he reminds me of Bob Gainey with insane offence, and a bit of Gretzky's vision thrown in. 

Petey and Huggy Bear I think are the most complete hockey players this organization has ever seen. 

• Cheers 2

Well, he is over a point per game still. 

His epic scoring pace had slowed down since mid last season. EP is a point per game player despite not exactly scoring like the monster he was in the first half of last season. If he gets hot again, it will push him over a point per game, which is at superstar level. What more can we ask of a 20 years old? 

1 hour ago, TU90 said:

He is playing a much more complete game, is still piling on points.

Balanced scoring is how you win championships.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1