The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ISIS leader Baghdadi killed in US Special Operations Raid

Toews

President Donald Trump announced on Sunday that the leader of the so-called Islamic State Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi died in an overnight US military operation in Syria, delivering a major blow to the terrorist group even as U.S. forces withdraw from the area.

“He died like a dog. He died like a coward. The world is now a much safer place,” Trump said in a grisly Sunday morning address to the nation.

Baghdadi died after running into the end of tunnel, “whimpering and crying and screaming all the way,” as he was chased by American military dogs, Trump said. Accompanied by three young children, Baghdadi then ignited his suicide vest, killing himself and all three children, the president said.

The ISIS leader was targeted near Barisha, Syria overnight. American forces used helicopters, jets and drones through airspace controlled by Russia and Turkey. No Americans were killed in the raid, but Trump said one of the military dogs was injured.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/27/trump-statement-on-isis-baghdadi-raid.html

5 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Trump cleaning up the mess and getting Baghdadi is as big if not bigger than when the special forces got OBL.

Glad you, Trump, and his acolytes think so.

Osama Bin Laden killed thousands of Americans after attacking and destroying buildings in our biggest city and our country's capitol which led to wars that cost insane amounts of money.

ISIS never stepped foot anywhere near our shores.  At worst they encouraged a few domestic radicals, who only already just needed an excuse, to try and kill people.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Osama Bin Laden killed thousands of Americans after attacking and destroying buildings in our biggest city and our country's capitol which led to wars that cost insane amounts of money.

ISIS never stepped foot anywhere near our shores.  At worst they encouraged a few domestic radicals, who only already just needed an excuse, to try and kill people.

13 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Trump cleaning up the mess and getting Baghdadi is as big if not bigger than when the special forces got OBL.

That said, I'm glad he's dead.  Had ISIS gotten a power base in the Middle East, they then would have eventually tried to copycat what Bin Laden did and attacked the US.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That said, I'm glad he's dead.  Had ISIS gotten a power base in the Middle East, they then would have eventually tried to copycat what Bin Laden did and attacked the US.

Yeah i worded my post badly. I should have said that in the ME this is probably bigger as it just seemed that Baghdadi was able to attract more extremest to his cause (even if it was mainly to the Syria, Iraq area). I do apologize if I came across as  dissecting those in the US and around the world that lost their lives to AQ and OBL, definitely not my intention. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, sonoman said:

I’ll believe it when DNA proves it beyond any doubt.

Gaslighting at its finest?

D78BB968-75FA-4D6B-A89C-7B83F6B17CF6.jpeg

I'm more apt to believe this one because there were actual boots on the ground with eyeballs locked onto him at the end rather than a flying camera with missiles attached to it.

Now if it turned out to be a body double or something like that, I would have to laugh and the Cheeto King would have some serious egg on his face with all of the bragging that he's doing on the news and now over Twitter.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Nothing to be sorry for.  I wasn't hurt or angry by your post at all.  It was just so wrong in it's conclusion that I felt the need to put it into perspective for you.

Trump however agrees with you.  He's trying to glory hog his perceived one-up on Obama.  It's likely going to be yet another thing that backfires on him.

Wouldnt go that far... ill take the backhand on this one tho. 

3 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Wouldnt go that far... ill take the backhand on this one tho. 

I would go that far.  It won't backfire with his base, but if he tries to go into a debate with Biden before the presidential election and continues to claim that Baghdadi was a bigger threat and kill than Bin Laden, Biden will hand Trump his derriere on a silver platter.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I was going to say the exact same thing. 

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Cheers 1

It’s just going to create a power vacuum like it always does.  

The next leader if the reports are true, will use his death as a type of martyr to continue their stranglehold over the areas in the Middle East.

It’s too bad they still don’t get that you can’t kill an idea or ideology, you’re only going to fuel the next generation to continue what the previous regime was telling them. 

Edited by BettyWhites44
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BettyWhites44 said:

It’s just going to create a power vacuum like it always does.  The next leader if the reports are true, will use his death as a type of martyr to continue their stranglehold over the areas in the Middle East. It’s too bad they still don’t get that you can’t kill an idea or ideology, you’re only going to fuel the next generation to continue what the previous  regime was telling them. 

I think this is the main reason that the Obama administration didn't make OBL's assassination, or the disposal of his body public. In that case, there was no image of a body for the "true believers" to rally around. In fact, the conspiracy theories that cropped up immediately after actually helped.

I wonder if Trump is capable of such restraint?

• Upvote 1