The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ISIS leader Baghdadi killed in US Special Operations Raid

Toews

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Of course this is good news. For everyone, not just Americans and not just people in the Middle East.

That being said, nature abhors a vacuum and I have little doubt that someone just as bad will eventually step into his shoes....

Absolutely and in many cases they become stronger when leaders are killed but with Russia, US, Canada, France, UK, etc attacking them and with them losing so much ground I imagine it will be random suicide attacks moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Yeah i worded my post badly. I should have said that in the ME this is probably bigger as it just seemed that Baghdadi was able to attract more extremest to his cause (even if it was mainly to the Syria, Iraq area). I do apologize if I came across as  dissecting those in the US and around the world that lost their lives to AQ and OBL, definitely not my intention. 

@gurn sometimes it's better if you read a little.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually I think he was being serious however he then corrected himself did he not?

I've got a kick out of his posts for quite some time, as no matter how over the top, there is always someone that thinks he is serious. The guy has been over doing his replies for quite some time; why would I take any of these type of posts seriously, despite what he says now.?

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, gurn said:

I've got a kick out of his posts for quite some time, as no matter how over the top, there is always someone that thinks he is serious. The guy has been over doing his replies for quite some time; why would I take any of these type of posts seriously, despite what he says now.?

Oh my bad I read that wrong. I actually was a bit surprised he posted that but appreciated his follow up post. 

I think I know what you mean.

"The emperor of Canada" stuff. Haha.

Ya most his posting makes me laugh in a good way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Of course this is good news. For everyone, not just Americans and not just people in the Middle East.

That being said, nature abhors a vacuum and I have little doubt that someone just as bad will eventually step into his shoes....

Even if it is true, one goes down and another will fill the spot. ISIS isn't going anywhere and because of US foreign policy will continue to attack.

7 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Even if it is true, one goes down and another will fill the spot. ISIS isn't going anywhere and because of US foreign policy will continue to attack.

You're right, and is filled by someone more radical... I don't see what else there is to do here though, as you can't really sanction goat breeding (Just comment on how the ISIS org is funded behind the scenes and is grass roots) how would one actually defeat these guys?

It is pleasing on the other hand that the US is eliminating who the actual threat is instead of playing the political game. You'll see blow back as this is taking money out of the established military - industrial US players pockets. If you all recall, the US retreated to allow ISIS to grow and disrupt the middle east. It then became a US vs Russia thing for a while in Syria, while US was funding the Rebels, who were loosely connected to ISIS, but that was never talked about, and Russia backed Syria proper.

For all the bad shiz to say about Trump he is the least war mongering president since...well before Bush senior... And if you actually look into it, you don't have to do much to make Obama look bad.. For all his logical, and well spoken linguistic, he did some pretty evil stuff. Can't talk about it though, cause that makes you racist.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Glad you, Trump, and his acolytes think so.

Osama Bin Laden killed thousands of Americans after attacking and destroying buildings in our biggest city and our country's capitol which led to wars that cost insane amounts of money.

ISIS never stepped foot anywhere near our shores.  At worst they encouraged a few domestic radicals, who only already just needed an excuse, to try and kill people.

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I was going to say the exact same thing. 

On scale of impact ISIS has touched far more people. They're just not Americans for the most part. 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think this is the main reason that the Obama administration didn't make OBL's assassination, or the disposal of his body public. In that case, there was no image of a body for the "true believers" to rally around. In fact, the conspiracy theories that cropped up immediately after actually helped.

I wonder if Trump is capable of such restraint?

Probably not, Trump will make some tweet or say something to the media even though he’s been advised not to. But I agree that what Obama and co did was the right move. But this seems more like a distraction in my opinion and I believe that’s because they’re preparing for the next big war, the one that’s going to be fought on African soil. It’s why the Americans suddenly pulled troops out of Syria two weeks ago. 

Edited by BettyWhites44
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BettyWhites44 said:

Probably not, Trump will make some tweet or say something to the media even though he’s been advised not to. But I agree that what Obama and co did was the right move. But this seems more like a distraction in my opinion and I believe that’s because they’re preparing for the next big war, the one that’s going to be fought on African soil. It’s why the Americans suddenly pulled troops out of Syria two weeks ago. 

What end does a war in Africa have for the USA?

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Basically, these are all messes as a result of blowback from US military and CIA interference. Bin Laden was getting CIA funding to fight the Russians in Afghanastan.

Once they abandoned him, he turned on the US. US goes into Iraq. Leaves arms, ammo, and equipment behind. It gets stolen and used by ISIS. 

Murderers and terrorists deserve to rot in hell. But people need to see where the seeds grow from. 

Modern radical jihadism goes way back to when the Brits rolled through the area in the 1800s and propped up the most ruthless clan in Saudi Arabia, the Sauds, as kings of the region. The Western establishment has been backing the most radical forces in that region to fuel their economies for a lot longer than the CIA has been around, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What end does a war in Africa have for the USA?

Money. 

They want the mineral rights in those countries. Data has surpassed oil and that’s because technology is the future.

China has its own source for those rare metals as you can see by the huge mining pit you can see from space.

Africa has its own source so the Americans need to get in there to stay on par with China and Russia. It’s all a game of power in the end. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BettyWhites44 said:

Money. 

They want the mineral rights in those countries. Data has surpassed oil and that’s because technology is the future.

China has its own source for those rare metals as you can see by the huge mining pit you can see from space.

Africa has its own source so the Americans need to get in there to stay on par with China and Russia. It’s all a game of power in the end. 

Don’t we have those resources too?  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BettyWhites44 said:

We have some yes but not to the extant of what’s demanded. 

A place like Africa has quite a large abundance of the rare metals that are needed for the current crop of technology.  

This is a good point (your line of thinking here) but don't we support and or control enough governments there to already claim as our reserves? I don't think a war or occupation would be needed for this?

Also, Afghanistan full of these types of minerals FYI.

edit: by our I mean the traditional allied nations.

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don’t we have those resources too?  

I know I'll be beating a dead horse here but as far as I know the N American mines we have aren't economically viable due to an over abundance of Thorium Salt in the ore. Lol - imagine if those reactors caught on - would solve a lot of problems over here!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

This is a good point (your line of thinking here) but don't we support and or control enough governments there to already claim as our reserves? I don't think a war or occupation would be needed for this?

Also, Afghanistan full of these types of minerals FYI.

edit: by our I mean the traditional allied nations.

War and occupation has always been necessary when trying to destabilize a region, it just makes it so much easier to go buy up everything they want for penny’s on the dollar. 

8 hours ago, BettyWhites44 said:

War and occupation has always been necessary when trying to destabilize a region, it just makes it so much easier to go buy up everything they want for penny’s on the dollar. 

I think both destabilization and occupation wouldn't be necessary in this instance. They can already buy up everything pennies on the dollar, just look at the oil situation in Nigeria.

Edit - to further expand. Why send in an expeditionary force when you can send in a corporation and do the same thing without the bad press and collateral. (Very poly sci view I know - I'm more of a humanitarian at heart though)

double edit - my point here was this is already what's going on - Africa has been being raped for quite some time now if you hadn't noticed.

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan