The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Florida Panthers | October 28th, 7:00pm PT | SNP, SN650 | 2019 Halloween Edition

Rate this topic

Roberts

Panthers @ Canucks  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will win the game?

• Vancouver Canucks
    • Florida Panthers
  2. 2. How many goals will the Vancouver Canucks score?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7+ :)
  3. 3. How many goals will the Florida Panthers score?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7+ :(
  4. 4. Trick or treat?

• Trick!
    • Treat!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/29/2019 at 02:00 AM

So while last game’s result definitely sucked, especially considering how we lost, we still got a point and the other one went to an Eastern Conference team. Our team is young and I think it’s good to learn the most important lesson in hockey (that no matter what the score or what period you’re in a team can always come back) the hard way with not too much damage in the overall early points/playoff picture resulting from it. It will be a beneficial and valuable lesson that can come in handy for future games. Honestly in past years we probably wouldn’t have got a point out of a game like that. Manage your losses (even if they really really hurt and suck).

They’ll bounce back this game and should be extra motivated. Predicting a win to start the streak going again. Can’t wait to watch!

Go :canucks: go!

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 4

15 hours ago, 6string said:

He's done, players behind him and ahead of him have to make a living. They're much hungrier than he is.

Why do people make ignorant comments like this? 

He's clearly not done and though he didn't win a starting spot, he played pretty well in the pre-season.  If he gets in, he'll be fine.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

18 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The problem is if/when he does draw into the lineup, people are going microscope and nitpick every play he makes to confirm "he's done" while someone like BB or whoever could make the same mistakes or whatever and no attention will be drawn to it. 

The reasoning behind that though is that some are expected to do more.  Based on experience/age and, yes salary.  Because when you demand the big bucks it's anticipated that you'll earn them and bring some sense of leadership as a veteran.  

Whereas someone like Brock is still at the early stages of his career and making mistakes is part of learning and growing.

It seems only fair to cut Brock a bit more slack based on the fact that Loui's got ten more years of NHL experience under his belt than Brock.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Loui basher and I support him and want him to do well but, as in any job, the greener guy will have more allowance for mistakes than the guy who's been at it a long time.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The problem is if/when he does draw into the lineup, people are going microscope and nitpick every play he makes to confirm "he's done" while someone like BB or whoever could make the same mistakes or whatever and no attention will be drawn to it. The minds have been set.

Thank goodness the fans on CDC do not manage or coach the Canucks. The fun of fandom is micromanaging every nuance of play. The reality is building a unit over a year or multi years that produce a level of play that leads to serious CUP play. I said last year that this club would make playoffs but I would not be overly upset if they did not. The timeline is for serious CUP contention in 2-3 years. 

The intriguing aspect of the next 3 years is Bennings actions towards that CUP contending team. Many on the existing roster will not be with the team. Benning will have the opportunity to make actual hockey trades. Trades that will add more to the equation than not. He now has actual depth to make deals with. This is why I expect Ericksson and Baer will be gone by year end. Maybe Stecher as well. Barring injury I do expect Sutter to be in playoffs with this group come March. It will not be the end of the world if Gaudette spends most of the year in Utica. All this speculation is tempered by the possibility if a surprise coming out of the depth chart. Rathbone???   

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The problem is if/when he does draw into the lineup, people are going microscope and nitpick every play he makes to confirm "he's done" while someone like BB or whoever could make the same mistakes or whatever and no attention will be drawn to it. The minds have been set.

No argument here.  He has no chance, regardless of how he actually plays.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The reasoning behind that though is that some are expected to do more.  Based on experience/age and, yes salary.  Because when you demand the big bucks it's anticipated that you'll earn them and bring some sense of leadership as a veteran.  

Whereas someone like Brock is still at the early stages of his career and making mistakes is part of learning and growing.

It seems only fair to cut Brock a bit more slack based on the fact that Loui's got ten more years of NHL experience under his belt than Brock.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Loui basher and I support him and want him to do well but, as in any job, the greener guy will have more allowance for mistakes than the guy who's been at it a long time.

The reality, for every player, is that on any given shift they make far more mistakes than they make good plays.........regardless of age or salary

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

The reality, for every player, is that on any given shift they make far more mistakes than they make good plays.........regardless of age or salary

But you've missed my point, completely.

That some, as veterans of the league for a decade and a half, get more criticism because they probably should not be making as many mistakes as the newer guys.   They should be leading by example and teaching them how NOT to make mistakes.  Not having them cover for them.

You expect SO much from Petey and Brock and have been quite vocal about that....so why should Loui be exempt in that?  You defend him yet it needs to be kept in perspective.  You can't let Loui off the hook yet criticize those two as you've been doing the past several games.  What is the logic in that?

He had a whopping 29 points last year...some guys are already nearing that mark in month one of the season.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't disagree, but I could list any other player that makes mistakes. The point is LE is blacklisted. When that happens, they can do no good even if another player in a similar circumstances isn't on the blacklist. He's the scapegoat even when he isn't playing. This year's scapegoats seem to be LE, Leivo, Schaller (despite playing very well to start the year), and the PP.

Do I wish LE performed up to his contract? For sure, but I'm not going to run him down. He did enough in preseason to hold a spot. He can fill a bottom 6 role if needed for the time being. Hopefully he does what he needs to do if he ever draws into the lineup, but I'm sure people will overanalyze his game.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

But you've missed my point, completely.

That some, as veterans of the league for a decade and a half, get more criticism because they probably should not be making as many mistakes as the newer guys.   They should be leading by example and teaching them how NOT to make mistakes.  Not having them cover for them.

You expect SO much from Petey and Brock and have been quite vocal about that....so why should Loui be exempt in that?  You defend him yet it needs to be kept in perspective.  You can't let Loui off the hook yet criticize those two as you've been doing the past several games.  What is the logic in that?

He had a whopping 29 points last year...some guys are already nearing that mark in month one of the season.

who said he was exempt?  However, he doesn't deserve to have every mistake analysed under the ridiculous microscope that applies to only a few chosen players, but not to others.  My point was all players make more mistakes every shift than they make good plays and it's ridiculous to nitpick every mistake that LE makes, because every player makes them.

As usual you completely missed the point

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

As usual you completely missed the point

Cute.  While you've avoided mine completely.  As usual.  Done because you seem to have the focal point lately as Petey and Brock but Loui should be subject to the same critical analysis by you.  Even moreso, based on his experience in the league.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I've never been a Loui basher but I think that looking for the little things he does IS overanalyzing his game.  

Anyhow...I hope he performs well for everyone's sake, but criticism is sometimes warranted.  I mean, if Ferland, Petey, Brock, Demko, etc. are the subject of that at times, Loui's got to be fair game too.  

It would be great for us if Loui works his way up the lineup tonight by showing excellent play.  I don't see it happening, but I will definitely be cheering for it.  Go Loui Go!!!!

• Cheers 2

All the best to Loui, 

Don't listen to all the noise from media and fans, play your game and i hope you work your way into the middle 6 while Green is experimenting, and you could be the one their looking for...

Ferland- Bo- Jake - stick with these guys for a few games

Pearson- Sutter- Loui

Schaller - Beagle - Leivo 

What ever makes this team better.

• Cheers 2