The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pizza joints...

captainhorvat

10 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

The steakhouse on hastings?

Sorry. More of a question than an answer.  Years ago when I went to school in Van there were a few locations in Burnaby.  Great pizza (the best) featuring lots of cheese. Probably morphed into a steakhouse over time.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:14 PM, Lionized27 said:

Ignite Pizzeria on Main at 10th.

Best pizza I've ever had.

They do Skip but I'm not sure if they'll deliver to Surrey. It'd be worth your drive into Vancouver though, I can promise you that.

Been there. It's fine. I still prefer picking up a Pizza from Brooklyn on Fraser and Kingsway. 

I also recommend AJ's Pizza on broadway. They make a Sicilian Style, upside down slice (Sugo on top). Absolutely fantastic if you are looking for something different

Trilussa on Main and 30 something used to be fantastic. They changed ownership and are still good, not the same though. They are a more Roman style

On the subject of Pizza, I am a firm believer in getting pizza from a shop like one of these for the simple fact that you are supporting local business that know their **** and use the best ingredients. You can taste the difference and it is 100% worth the 2 or 3 dollars more that you might pay. Hell, when I call into Brooklyn or AJ's (which are both in my neighbourhood) I always get a deal. Obviously you need to build that rapport, but still. 

Also. Thin crust is always better (unless you are in sicily or at nonna's house). The fewer the toppings the better. Thea more crazy a pizza is from a topping standpoint, the more they are trying to compensate for something.

At an Italian restaurant, if the chef can't make a Pasta a pomodoro well, then you shouldn't be eating there. With pizza, if the pizzeria can't make a margherita well, you shouldn't be eating there

• Cheers 1

On 10/28/2019 at 8:46 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Nat's New York Pizzeria on Broadway near Macdonald is great. Lombardo's on Commercial is great as well.

Lombardo’s is top shelf. Out where I live, Emilio Finatti is where it’s at. 

Edited by Pickly
  • Upvote 1

On 10/28/2019 at 10:46 PM, Grapefruits said:

Triple Threat from Boston Pizza is my go these days.

BP is such crap for the price. It tastes to me like one step up from frozen pizza. The product used to be much better. They used to use a great tangy sauce. Now it's just ketchup on cardboard.

If you're going big chain/fast food, it's hard to argue against the value you get from Domino's. They've actually gone the opposite way and put in major efforts to increase the quality of their product.:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/06/news/companies/dominos-pizza-hut-papa-johns/index.html

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, taxi said:

BP is such crap for the price. It tastes to me like one step up from frozen pizza. The product used to be much better. They used to use a great tangy sauce. Now it's just ketchup on cardboard.

If you're going big chain/fast food, it's hard to argue against the value you get from Domino's. They've actually gone the opposite way and put in major efforts to increase the quality of their product.:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/06/news/companies/dominos-pizza-hut-papa-johns/index.html

I used to think the same until someone at work bought the triple threat and I tried it.  Frankly, I ignore the price when it comes to food, unless I am extremely disappointed.

BP has upped their game recently.  Still on the expensive side though if you care about price.

On 10/31/2019 at 11:47 AM, taxi said:

IMO, Domino's still has a long way to go to improve their quality.  They've done some interesting things with the business model, but when it comes to taste, they still haven't figured it out.

On 10/28/2019 at 6:08 PM, Phil_314 said:

Yeah the thinness is definitely part of it and they're meant to be folded, so it has a crunch reminiscent of a panini.  Add that to their savory toppings and the bite... it's tough to really describe but I want to say you just gotta try it, definitely a different bite than say a Fresh Slice.  Think a folded flatbread.  

I'm on vacation, and while visiting a friend, we went to a place that serves NY style pizza.  I thought, "cool, I can give it a shot".

Decent pizza, although I don't think the crust was thin enough to qualify.  I could still fold it, and it was tasty.  Biggest downside was the grease pouring onto my hand after folding. 

Still bummed I left my friend with the leftovers... didnt know our hotel that night would have a microwave.

12 hours ago, EliasBoeser said:

The original is in White Rock and this place is the best, they competed in Vegas and won best in the world in their category..

I'll have to try the White Rock one, is this the one by 5 corners?(Formerly Gangsters Pizza?)