The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] My Thoughts On Things...

Green and Benning like walking all over Horvat. Benning can't find him a proper line mate and green takes any half decent line mate from him.

First, Green replaces Miller with Leivo a guy that has no talent what so ever and shouldn't play on a line higher then the forth.

Second, Green replaces Pearson with Ferland I'm sure only to try and make Benning not look as ridicules as this signing is. Ferland money should have been used to sign a decent 3rd line centre who could play second line PP

Third, Green started Horvat at the beginning of the season on the second unit PP and had Leivo on the first unit what a joke.

Finally Green actually did something right and replaced Leivo with Virtanen. But I'm sure this wont last to long after all no one can expect Virtanen to put a string of good games together at 11 mins per game.

Benning first great trade for Miller I give you that.

Second Benning terrible signing for Ferland many fans questioned this. If the fans question this move how come a gm, Benning didn't realize this was a bad signing idea.

Third Benning you need to get a 3rd line centre that can play 2 PP unit. The Ferland Money should have been spent on this position.

Forth, For Green and Benning Bear needs to be called up. Bad on Green for sending him down especially since he was coming off a concussion season and Bad on Benning on forcing green to have to do it cause we have to many wingers.

Now you might ask why did I write this?

No it isn't because they lost last game. I write it because The Canucks are winning and cause there seems to be glaring holes that our goalies thankfully currently are covering up with their great play, However, as anyone knows goaltending and the ability to score your problems away works in Oct and Nov but as Dec roles around these issues can easily sneak up on a team and kill the season,

My suggestion even though I know no one will really listen or possibly laugh at my suggestion is this,

Call up Baer (not here for goals but his play making ability) send Eriksson down (not playing anyways) and sit Leivo (same as Eriksson not much here). 

What this would look like.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson (Baer) Horvat Virtanen

Baer (Pearson) Sutter (Gaud now that Motte is injured) Ferland

Schaller Beagle Sutter (Gaud)

PP 1 

Stays the same.

PP 2   (This is where Baer comes in).

Pearson Baer Virtanen 

I know neither is a centre and my argument is you don't need one they need the best playmaker they have that isn't on the first unit and that's Baer. The reason you don't need a centre is they don't take a faceoff. The second unit always comes on after the puck is cleared and there is a line change.

Baertschi gives them options and that's why he is more valuable then Leivo. Baer has shown to be a 40pt player. Baer has shown to have chemistry with Horvat. Baer has shown to be a better playmaker then Sutter. Most of all with Motte injured for a week or two the Canucks have the best chance to put Gaud and Baer into their lineup. If Baer doesn't work at centre on the 2nd unit pp, Green will have options with Baer, Pearson, Gaud and Virtanen and I'm sure options cant be a bad thing.

A Baer Gaud and Virtanen PP unit also frees up Pearson to cover for Motte on the PK. 

Last point, This is not a long term solution to the problems that could come about, The best solution is a trade that sees the Canucks acquiring a third line center who is better then Sutter at dishing the puck and who is a better fit on the second unit. I actually believe that the first unit will be fine and will probably be a top 10 pp unit by seasons end. But I do believe they will need to find some goals on their 2nd unit pp and to shore up Horvats line with some stable wingers. Or in time Bo the doormat Horvat might just become a nickname that sticks. And yes I know it is Cheesy 

Edited by debluvscanucks
Bait title that had little to do with the actual content
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Baertschi gives them options and that's why he is more valuable then Leivo. Baer has shown to be a 40pt player. Baer has shown to have chemistry with Horvat. Baer has shown to be a better playmaker then Sutter. Most of all with Motte injured for a week or two the Canucks have the best chance to put Gaud and Baer into their lineup. If Baer doesn't work at centre on the 2nd unit pp, Green will have options with Baer, Pearson, Gaud and Virtanen and I'm sure options cant be a bad thing.

No offense, but I really hate it when posters do this.

Baer has NEVER had a 40 point season in the NHL. I don't care that he may have been on pace for 40 once or twice - his career high is 35 points and he did it once. At this point it's a stretch to call him a proven 30 point player as, again, he's only hit that ONCE.

Here's a tip: when you exaggerate or outright tell falsehoods to make a point, it actually weakens your argument as the rest of what you've said comes into question.

That being said, I don't necessarily disagree with you - might actually be worth a shot as Baer has been performing very well in the AHL this year.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

The fact that your verdict is already out on Ferland is telling.

What you're doing is worse?  Doormat Horvat?  Come on.  Unless it's fair for me to say Arrow, the thread is bottom of the barrel.  Don't insult Bo like this...he deserves better and some respect.  If you're demanding it from others, I'd say you need to lead by example.

The thing about a captain is they're usually resilient and are leaders, not followers.  So they don't "need" anyone to prop them up, they generally are the proppers.   

No it isn't because they lost last game. I write it because The Canucks are winning and cause there seems to be glaring holes that our goalies thankfully currently are covering up with their great play, However, as anyone knows goaltending and the ability to score your problems away works in Oct and Nov but as Dec roles around these issues can easily sneak up on a team and kill the season,

Or, another spin on this is that the team's finding a way to win (yes, through some solid goaltending but the goaltender didn't score 5 goals last game to give us a nice buffer)....and, as a young team, will continue to grow?  That, by December, they should have an even better handle on things?

If you're already projecting that the season could be a bust in a month or two then there's no point in watching.  All KINDS of issues can sneak up on any team...that's the beauty of it all - that it's all unknown so they play the games.   Injuries are as big as goaltending so if we stay healthy, sky's the limit.  

I just don't buy into the negativity when we're seeing goals being scored (that issue's been addressed) and showing great competitiveness in some tough games.  I save the gloom and doom for when it happens because then it doesn't suck all the joy out of the fun parts.

• Upvote 1

Ferland has not found his stride in Van, that much is true.. However, it's a bit early to call it a bad signing.. A gritty winger with decent size & skill who has shown he can tuck a few & drop the mitts is not a bad signing in theory, and something that many people including @Arrow1983 would have been excited to bring in.. and most had him slotted into the first line, giving Bo a good winger in Miller. but how was JB supposed to know that the lines wouldn't gel? 

but just for arguments sake, who were the available 3rd line center candidates that you would have signed over ferland? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think many people complained at all about the Ferland signing. Maybe if we had signed him at his 5.5 million original ask price... or if we gave him a full NTC. But Ferland at what we paid for him was a very good signing. 10 games on a new team, after coming off an illness, is not enough time to judge... heck the verdict is still out on Virtanen and it's been 4 years!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Second Benning terrible signing for Ferland many fans questioned this. If the fans question this move how come a gm, Benning didn't realize this was a bad signing idea.

Huh?

The fans loved the Ferland signing.  :picard:

Not sure what you are even talking about...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Huh?

The fans loved the Ferland signing.  :picard:

Not sure what you are even talking about...

They come out from under their bridges on game nights.  It’s almost bedtime for the school kids in Toronto, so it should stop soon.  

• Cheers 1