The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] My Thoughts On Things...

On 10/28/2019 at 9:57 AM, Arrow 1983 said:

Benning first great trade for Miller I give you that.

Miller is a good player but the trade was horrible by all standards. Tampa was going to be FORCED to move a player in his contract range, Miller was the most likely contract to be moved, THEY HAD TO MAKE A TRADE, other teams in the same circumstances added a draft pick to entice a deal. Tampa could NOT take back a contract.

The player may be okay, even good but the trade was horrible in every way, Benning got snookered.

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2019 at 2:57 AM, Arrow 1983 said:

Green and Benning like walking all over Horvat. Benning can't find him a proper line mate and green takes any half decent line mate from him.

First, Green replaces Miller with Leivo a guy that has no talent what so ever and shouldn't play on a line higher then the forth.

Second, Green replaces Pearson with Ferland I'm sure only to try and make Benning not look as ridicules as this signing is. Ferland money should have been used to sign a decent 3rd line centre who could play second line PP

Third, Green started Horvat at the beginning of the season on the second unit PP and had Leivo on the first unit what a joke.

Finally Green actually did something right and replaced Leivo with Virtanen. But I'm sure this wont last to long after all no one can expect Virtanen to put a string of good games together at 11 mins per game.

Benning first great trade for Miller I give you that.

Second Benning terrible signing for Ferland many fans questioned this. If the fans question this move how come a gm, Benning didn't realize this was a bad signing idea.

Third Benning you need to get a 3rd line centre that can play 2 PP unit. The Ferland Money should have been spent on this position.

Forth, For Green and Benning Bear needs to be called up. Bad on Green for sending him down especially since he was coming off a concussion season and Bad on Benning on forcing green to have to do it cause we have to many wingers.

Now you might ask why did I write this?

No it isn't because they lost last game. I write it because The Canucks are winning and cause there seems to be glaring holes that our goalies thankfully currently are covering up with their great play, However, as anyone knows goaltending and the ability to score your problems away works in Oct and Nov but as Dec roles around these issues can easily sneak up on a team and kill the season,

My suggestion even though I know no one will really listen or possibly laugh at my suggestion is this,

Call up Baer (not here for goals but his play making ability) send Eriksson down (not playing anyways) and sit Leivo (same as Eriksson not much here). 

What this would look like.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson (Baer) Horvat Virtanen

Baer (Pearson) Sutter (Gaud now that Motte is injured) Ferland

Schaller Beagle Sutter (Gaud)

PP 1 

Stays the same.

PP 2   (This is where Baer comes in).

Pearson Baer Virtanen 

I know neither is a centre and my argument is you don't need one they need the best playmaker they have that isn't on the first unit and that's Baer. The reason you don't need a centre is they don't take a faceoff. The second unit always comes on after the puck is cleared and there is a line change.

Baertschi gives them options and that's why he is more valuable then Leivo. Baer has shown to be a 40pt player. Baer has shown to have chemistry with Horvat. Baer has shown to be a better playmaker then Sutter. Most of all with Motte injured for a week or two the Canucks have the best chance to put Gaud and Baer into their lineup. If Baer doesn't work at centre on the 2nd unit pp, Green will have options with Baer, Pearson, Gaud and Virtanen and I'm sure options cant be a bad thing.

A Baer Gaud and Virtanen PP unit also frees up Pearson to cover for Motte on the PK. 

Last point, This is not a long term solution to the problems that could come about, The best solution is a trade that sees the Canucks acquiring a third line center who is better then Sutter at dishing the puck and who is a better fit on the second unit. I actually believe that the first unit will be fine and will probably be a top 10 pp unit by seasons end. But I do believe they will need to find some goals on their 2nd unit pp and to shore up Horvats line with some stable wingers. Or in time Bo the doormat Horvat might just become a nickname that sticks. And yes I know it is Cheesy 

Well.... yeah.. where to start.... I'll keep it simple.... technically Miller is a center aswell....It another reason they chose him..... there just not deploying him there

.... yeah so extra high performing center  already signed.!

.... on a side note.... I like Bear.... but dude is Porcelain  .... couldn't hold up to the aggressive heavy style canucks are winning with.

2 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Miller is a good player but the trade was horrible by all standards. Tampa was going to be FORCED to move a player in his contract range, Miller was the most likely contract to be moved, THEY HAD TO MAKE A TRADE, other teams in the same circumstances added a draft pick to entice a deal. Tampa could NOT take back a contract.

The player may be okay, even good but the trade was horrible in every way, Benning got snookered.

Imo, it was a decent trade; not just because he has added a game set that is obviously having a terrific effect on this team, but his leadership and experience are huge as well.  His contract is fantastic.

The lightning's roster had Kuch, Stamkos + Point as their keepers, but unfortunately the next 4 fws( 3 undersized and 1 average player- all older than JT,  had NTCs (none of them have the skillset and complete game that JT has).  Miller was the ONLY fw they could trade and I would be very surprised if there wasn't a bidding war for him.  Bad situation for TB; they had to trade the better player, due to passing out NTCs like candy.

We won't know where the 1st rounder will end up, but we know that it can't be a lotto pick this year. Next draft, the Canucks will be that much more improved, so it is unlikely TB gets a lotto pick.  Looks like they will probably get a mid to 25th overall.  After the top 15,  it's usual to see a drop off in talent.  The 3rd rounder is a crap shoot, as it's much harder these days to find nhl players in that round.  The goalie, what's his name?  Don't see him making the nhl. 

Time will tell.  Right now it's Miller time and will be for quite a few more years.

• Like 1

I am pretty much confused with anyone that is not happy with all the players in Vancouver right now.....

Everyone is contributing , the team is winning, goals are coming more easily and our goals against is way down.

I am not sure what else you can ask of them...….

Life should be good in Caunucksville………..and with this many new players, it normally takes longer than this to gel

Sorry, I just do not see any issues at the moment. 

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Wow...what a horrible take lmao.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

NOPE YOU ARE WRONG!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:
7 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Wow...what a horrible take lmao.

Understand this, there is nothing wrong with the player BUT the trade was made how many minutes after July 1?

A first round pick with a good chance to be a lottery selection, a third round pick AND a prospect for a player who up to that time had never scored 35 goals and does have some "upper body issues".

Detroit gave up a first to off load a contract, Toronto ditto, Chicago ,,,, al were teams that the Canucks will be like next year, a team the MUST get rid of contracts. The Canucks can only buyout one more and that will not cure their cap misery next year.

How much time went into negotiating? An hour, a day?

Do many posters here know what top ten picks are worth? I know this team has had ony a 60% success record, but on average where else do top players come from?

Yes, just like the Eriksson deal, the Miller deal, the Gudbranson deal, the winner and the loser are easy to pick out, this is still early yet. Did he relly give Ferland a NMC? Who is he going to expose in the expansion.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

This is a ridiculously overstated point. Yes, Tampa was in a cap crunch, but they also had an entire offseason to work with and a player that 29 other teams in the league would love to have on their roster. If we lowball Tampa, odds are we get into a bidding war and lose out on the player. Yes, the price was hefty, but if you don't have the balls to pay for a piece chat you really want, chances are you're never going to reach the promise land. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

How much time went into negotiating? An hour, a day?

You have no idea. Yet you seem to make up a bunch of crap saying the trade was no good.

Whatever pal.....we were told there were numerous teams wanting JT Miller but the Canucks got him at market value. Yet you and your crystal ball say otherwise. It is hilarious really....

:frantic:

On 10/30/2019 at 2:50 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This is a ridiculously overstated point. Yes, Tampa was in a cap crunch, but they also had an entire offseason to work with and a player that 29 other teams in the league would love to have on their roster. If we lowball Tampa, odds are we get into a bidding war and lose out on the player. Yes, the price was hefty, but if you don't have the balls to pay for a piece chat you really want, chances are you're never going to reach the promise land. 

On 10/30/2019 at 3:41 AM, Kanukfanatic said:

You have no idea. Yet you seem to make up a bunch of crap saying the trade was no good.

Whatever pal.....we were told there were numerous teams wanting JT Miller but the Canucks got him at market value. Yet you and your crystal ball say otherwise. It is hilarious really....

:frantic:

Lowball?

What makes you think there were dozens of teams lining up for this ONE player? Or that dozens of teams were going to offer a first, third and prospect?

Do you have any idea as to what value a top 15 pick is worth? For that matter a 15 to 22 pick? Especially in the coming draft? Do you know the difference between a good draft year and this one, named as possibly the best in over 35 years?

I notice that the Canucks were the ONLY team to trade away a first and third this year.

Name every player that has been traded for a 1rst and 3rd round pick plus a prospect.

You were told, yep you sure were, don't think for yourself let us do it for you.

Forget that Ferland has concussion issues, just forget about that, we know more than you, your an idiot fan and we like you like that.

Listen, the player is okay to good BUT MANAGEMENT jumped the gun, it is like having an auction and they bid on 20 cars and got every one of them when all they wanted was one. They OVERBID, there were no or very little negotiations. Any time a 1rst, 3rd and prospect are dealt it should take time.

Miller is not Sequin, Kessel, Gretzky, Anderson, hecck it is hard to find any "hockey" trades that don't have a component of a cap reduction where that has been paid and uually it is the team that needs the cap space that is paying the 1rst, 3rd and prospect to gain the space,

GOOD PLAYER REALLY BAD TRADE, can't wait until Miller is done in 3 years and the #1 is scoring 100 pt seasons or a Norris Candidate, 3 years

1 minute ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

GOOD PLAYER REALLY BAD TRADE, can't wait until Miller is done in 3 years and the #1 is scoring 100 pt seasons or a Norris Candidate, 3 years

I was going to respond earnestly, but this sentence pretty much solidified that you're not worth talking to. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

As the team plummets down the standings and the gap is growing I fear that Benning will try to pull the trigger on a trade.

His trading has for the most part a disaster, even with Miller performing so well what he gave up will have to wait to see if it was a good deal, surely if the trade ends up being a first overall then it will be a disaster.

But right now he seems to be reversing his "build through the draft" stance and there are team's out there that may be willing to offer up better players than Miller for a 1rst round draft pick and a player off the roster.

Lot's of talk about needing another forward so what if TO offered up Nylander for a 1rst and Tanev? You can't say Benning would not make that deal after trading away several future pieces already. He may view a deal like that a an assurance that Tampa doesn't get a 1rst overall or that Nylander is just enough to push the team to a playoff berth and save his job.

I expect him to panic if the team loses 5 out of 7 games and see a questionable trade, a trade that saves another team's future at the sacrafice of this team. He knows because of Petey that seats will be filled. Look at how much the hype has been about the Nucks actually making the playoffs even with some of the media still stating they think they MAY get a shot depending upon other teams failing. But Dallas and SanJose have become juggernaults lately and Colorado and Calgary will break out of their slumps. The expected fall in the Peg hasn't happened yet and Nashville and Minny have caught up.

Presently the CAnucks are 4 points out of 27th or worse in the league and the injuries rally haven't happened to the key people expected to drive this team, just imagine if Horvat gets hurt.