The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

In 1860 ish....   60% of BC indigenous people  ( 30,0000 people ) died due to small pox they got from settlers....

Yah, i think that first nations really did not do very well with their trading with settlers...    

Colonial germ warfare was used by the Brits even before then.

https://www.history.org/foundation/journal/spring04/warfare.cfm

I have also heard about Hudson Bay blankets carrying pox too but I have also read that there was no proof.

15 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

In 1860 ish....   60% of BC indigenous people  ( 30,0000 people ) died due to small pox they got from settlers....

Yah, i think that first nations really did not do very well with their trading with settlers...    

Same happened in with the Kootenai here in the East Kootenays. Measles. I also read native histories of mystery diseases that pre-dated whites that wiped out whole villages. Disease but more importantly starvation. Starvation regularly killed many natives before and after whites arrived. My impression is that many people deal with history in the abstract as they cannot envision how challenging life was back then. The introduction of the horse to plains tribes was truly revolutionary. Mobility yielded larger hunting territories, better defense and easier life style.  

• Cheers 1

I don't know how @Ryan Strome can continue to claim Teck possibly not going forward would be Trudeau's fault when the Alberta government is this tone deaf. Its like they want it to fail. 

Alberta environment minister says First Nations concerns with Teck Frontier are about money

David Thurton · CBC News · Posted: Feb 12, 2020 11:15 AM ET | Last Updated: 8 minutes ago

The Alberta government says a First Nation's concerns about the proposed Teck Frontier oilsands mine are more about getting a bigger share of the royalties than about protecting water, bison and other environmental concerns.

Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation Chief Allan Adam sent the federal government a letter last week expressing concerns that the Alberta government's failure to address environmental and cultural concerns about the project was putting it at risk as a deadline approaches for the federal government to give its approval.

But Alberta Environment Minister Jason Nixon said Tuesday that Adam's "primary" focus is on money.  

"The reality is when we are meeting with Chief Adam, he continues to primarily focus on money," Nixon told Power & Politics host Vassy Kapelos. "We are very clear on the fact that we are not going to buy Teck approval. That's not something we are going to do."

Nixon made the comments the day before a meeting Wednesday between Alberta Premier Jason Kenney and the province's First Nations chiefs.

PP-Nixon-11-02-2020.png
Watch

Alberta environment minister on Teck Frontier mine

• 17 hours ago
  •  
    • 10:58
    •  
      •  

Alberta Environment Minister Jason Nixon contends the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation's concerns about the Teck Frontier project are not just environmental in nature, but monetary too. 10:58

In July, a federal-provincial environmental panel recommended the approval of the Teck Frontier mine. The $20.6-billion project from Vancouver-based Teck Resources would disturb 292 square kilometres of pristine wetlands and boreal forest — an area half the size of the city of Edmonton — over its four-decade lifespan. However, the whole area won't be mined at once.

Alberta is expected to reap $55 billion in tax and royalty revenue over the mine's 41-year life based on a price of $95 a barrel for oil or more.

ACFN is one of two Alberta First Nations whose reserve lands are located about 15 kilometres away from the mega-mine in northeastern Alberta. 

In addition to accusing the Alberta government of potentially derailing approval of the mine, ACFN's chief has been trying to get Alberta's other 47 First Nations leaders behind him ahead of Wednesday's meeting with Kenney.

In a Feb. 10 letter to those chiefs, shared with CBC News, Adam attempts to rally support against the premier's plan for a Crown corporation to facilitate Indigenous ownership in natural resource projects.

Calling it a "pressing matter," Adam calls on bands "to send a strong message" against the Alberta government's attempt to get First Nations to participate in the Alberta Indigenous Opportunities Corporation. The AIOC would issue loan guarantees or backstops so First Nations and Métis communities could buy ownership stakes in resource projects.

Instead, Adam said if the Alberta government wants Indigenous communities to get behind resource projects, they need to share royalties.

"If the government of Alberta is serious about getting Indigenous communities on board with major industrial projects," Adam writes, "it should provide a share of the realized tax revenue from each project to impacted Nations."

A spokesperson for Alberta's environment minister also seized on Adam's letter to the chiefs, citing the ACFN chief's preoccupation with money and not the environment. 

"It is interesting that so soon after his letter to the federal government claiming his concerns are about the environment, Chief Adam now writes another letter focusing on direct financial compensation," Nixon's press secretary, Jess Sinclair, said.

Sinclair also defended the AIOC, saying it provides business opportunities for Indigenous communities.

'Quit calling us money hungry'

Adam said the Alberta government was attempting to portray him in a negative light, trying to rely on tropes about First Nations chiefs.

Adam said he will be confronting the Alberta Premier at Wednesday's meeting with chiefs.

"I am going to tell the premier: 'Mr. Premier, you are barking down the wrong tree. It seems that you want to kill this project with Teck Resources. We made the agreement with Teck Resources. We approved of Teck Resources. Why can't you deal with mitigation for the life of the project with ACFN and get this by and quit calling us money hungry?'"

ACFN would not say how much money it's asking for from the Alberta government. Still, Adam noted some of the funding his band is asking would go to compensate the community for irreversible impacts of the project and habitat and wildlife monitoring.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Alberta is expected to reap $55 billion in tax and royalty revenue over the mine's 41-year life based on a price of $95 a barrel for oil or more.

Had to highlight this from the article.   Seems they are praying for another boom that lasts 41 years.  When has that ever happened?  They must be dreaming. 

please-god-give-me-one-more-oil-boom-this-time-26010569.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Had to highlight this from the article.   Seems they are praying for another boom that lasts 41 years.  When has that ever happened?  They must be dreaming. 

please-god-give-me-one-more-oil-boom-this-time-26010569.png

not to mention the quasi-racist "they just want the money" rant is incredibly hypocritical, when #wexit is all about the money. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

IT WASN’T SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THIS! ALBERTA SHEDS JOBS WHILE THE REST OF THE COUNTRY CREATES THEM

...Canada’s job market blew past the forecasts for the month. Unemployment also fell.

In Alberta, not so much.

Indeed, Alberta was the only province in Canada to see jobs disappearing — and in significant numbers, with 19,000 lost in January, the second month of the past three the province has experienced big job losses.

Canada, meanwhile, added 34,000 jobs nationwide in January, Statistics Canada said, which was pretty good considering the expectation the country would be up only 17,500 jobs by the end of the month. Unemployment nationwide edged downward to 5.5 per cent — not a record low, but within shouting distance.

In Alberta, by contrast, unemployment is now at 7.3 per cent, similar to the rates being experienced in the Maritimes — that part of Canada former Calgary MP Stephen Harper in the days he was leader of the Canadian Alliance Party famously and arrogantly dismissed as having a “culture of defeatism.”

https://albertapolitics.ca/2020/02/it-wasnt-supposed-to-be-like-this-alberta-sheds-jobs-while-the-rest-of-the-country-creates-them/

Maybe we should let them go before all the unemployed Albertan refugees scatter to the rest of Canada to take our jobs, brass balls and chewing tobacco in tow.

#closetheborder

2 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

IT WASN’T SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THIS! ALBERTA SHEDS JOBS WHILE THE REST OF THE COUNTRY CREATES THEM

...Canada’s job market blew past the forecasts for the month. Unemployment also fell.

In Alberta, not so much.

Indeed, Alberta was the only province in Canada to see jobs disappearing — and in significant numbers, with 19,000 lost in January, the second month of the past three the province has experienced big job losses.

Canada, meanwhile, added 34,000 jobs nationwide in January, Statistics Canada said, which was pretty good considering the expectation the country would be up only 17,500 jobs by the end of the month. Unemployment nationwide edged downward to 5.5 per cent — not a record low, but within shouting distance.

In Alberta, by contrast, unemployment is now at 7.3 per cent, similar to the rates being experienced in the Maritimes — that part of Canada former Calgary MP Stephen Harper in the days he was leader of the Canadian Alliance Party famously and arrogantly dismissed as having a “culture of defeatism.”

https://albertapolitics.ca/2020/02/it-wasnt-supposed-to-be-like-this-alberta-sheds-jobs-while-the-rest-of-the-country-creates-them/

Maybe we should let them go before all the unemployed Albertan refugees scatter to the rest of Canada to take our jobs, brass balls and chewing tobacco in tow.

#closetheborder

I thought voodoo economics was supposed to unleash the beast and create all kinds of jobs and money and prosperity.   All we've seen is cuts to services and now more job losses.   The resident JT hater will probably blame the Feds, even though the pipeline is a go.

10 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

In Alberta, not so much.

#closetheborder

Just wait until the estimated 7000-10000 jobs Kenney is cutting hit the front lines.

But...they're public sector jobs so it's not important.  Only healthcare, education and social services.  They're all redundant and overpaid anyways 

or something.

And as we've heard...tax cuts work...tax breaks work.  They create jobs.  They help the middle class.  Except in literally every single study that has proven they don't.

Mr. Kenney’s formula, which Albertans bought into with enthusiasm: Big tax cuts for corporations, an end to the NDP’s carbon tax, spending austerity, attacks on trade unions, and the usual package of neoliberal economic nostrums.

After he handily defeated Rachel Notley’s NDP in April, Mr. Kenney moved quickly to enact his program. He dumped the “job killing” carbon tax as his first act. He quickly enacted a $4.7-billion “job creating” corporate tax cut.

It’s widely understood nowadays that the alleged effectiveness of such tax cutting measures is mostly hooey.

As Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman puts it (I’m paraphrasing and parenthesizing just a little to eliminate obvious Americanisms), conservative “faith in the magic of tax cuts — and, correspondingly, belief that tax increases will doom the economy — is the ultimate policy zombie, a view that should have been killed by evidence decades ago but keeps shambling along, eating (conservative) brains.”

The record in the U.S. is consistent, Dr. Krugman points out in one of his many New York Times columns on this topic. Tax increases don’t cause job losses, and tax cuts don’t create them.

That’s true no matter how many times Mr. Kenney and his army of taxpayer-financed Twitter trolls say the opposite. The loss of something like 70,000 jobs in Alberta since the UCP came to power should strongly suggest that this isn’t the way things work.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Just wait until the estimated 7000-10000 jobs Kenney is cutting hit the front lines.

But...they're public sector jobs so it's not important.  Only healthcare, education and social services.  They're all redundant and overpaid anyways 

or something

But at other times, their high salaries are used to promote how great Alberta is.   Have their cake and eat it too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lockout Casualty said:

In Alberta, not so much.

#closetheborder

This is how clueless some of your are.
Albertas unemployment is a 7.3%. This time last year it was 7.2%.  in 2017 it was 8.9%. Funny none of you posted anything a few years ago in regards to those numbers, gee I wonder why????

...But but upc is killing jobs......nope they’ve maintained job losses while at the same time started grappling high expenses. 

Alberta lost 19k jobs, most of which were part time. Meanwhile Alberta also added 6600 high paying oil and gas jobs in the same month as a result of the “tax cut” that apparently never works.  Albertas employment rate is the highest in the country at 65.2%

Reporters are just getting lazy and you few are lapping it up. but don’t let me ruin you ignorant bashing. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This is how clueless some of your are.
Albertas unemployment is a 7.3%. This time last year it was 7.2%.  in 2017 it was 8.9%. Funny none of you posted anything a few years ago in regards to those numbers, gee I wonder why????

...But but upc is killing jobs......nope they’ve maintained job losses while at the same time started grappling high expenses. 

Alberta lost 19k jobs, most of which were part time. Meanwhile Alberta also added 6600 high paying oil and gas jobs in the same month as a result of the “tax cut” that apparently never works.  Albertas employment rate is the highest in the country at 65.2%

Reporters are just getting lazy and you few are lapping it up. but don’t let me ruin you ignorant bashing. 

I think you should get paid for making people look stupid. You would be a real rich guy. You know what? I don't understand though ftg. How these same three or four have such an obsession with Alberta? Yet they tell us how BC is so great. But all they ever do is obsess over, Alberta.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think you should get paid for making people look stupid. You would be a real rich guy. You know what? I don't understand though ftg. How these same three or four have such an obsession with Alberta? Yet they tell us how BC is so great. But all they ever do is obsess over, Alberta.

When have I said BC is so great?  This is the Wexit thread where Albertans want to destroy Canada.  I'm pro Canada.   You are not.  So we have to talk about Alberta here and the terrible decisions made by almost exclusively conservative governance (yes the NDP had a blip of governance).

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds

8 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

When have I said BC is so great?  This is the Wexit thread where Albertans want to destroy Canada.  I'm pro Canada.   You are not.  So we have to talk about Alberta here and the terrible decisions made by almost exclusively conservative governance (yes the NDP had a blip of governance).

Was it the Alberta Conservative Party or the Alberta NDP Party that destoryed the Alberta Heritage fund...?  Just curious....

14 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

What does the UCP government and job numbers Have to do with wexit?

23 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

your nose is growing.....

AB-Heritage-Fund-history.png

I'm not really sure what you are showing me. I also noticed you didn't comment on all the debt the NDP added. And also why is the Alberta Heritage fund any concern of yours? Do you guys now want that money also? OMG, when is enough enough last time I checked we still fund the country the most. And get nothing back in return, so I'm not really sure why any money would be of any concern of yours.