The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I knew you would come in and spout off this NEP stuff but it's just stupid every time you do the NEP is nothing that is being discussed today having a pipeline to the ocean is not the NEP

Obviously you didn't read this, which is what has been discussed today.

https://buffalodeclaration.com/the-problems

"Alberta’s struggle with Canada’s federal government continued through the 20th Century. After the oil boom of the 1970s, Liberal Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau imposed unprecedented measures to restrict the growth of the Alberta economy, often with the support of Eastern politicians. The National Energy Program (NEP) remains a historical stain on the relationship between the federal government and the people of Alberta. At a time when wealth, opportunity, and political influence was thriving in Alberta, the first Prime Minister Trudeau took it upon himself to attack the natural resource sector in Alberta with destructive force. When Alberta Premier Peter Lougheed asked why Ontario-based manufacturing products were sold to Albertans at tariff-protected prices, while Alberta oil was being sold to Ontarians at half the going rate, no justification was given. The government of the day unapologetically displaced billions of dollars in investment, which forced Albertans from their homes, bankrupted businesses, destroyed livelihoods, led to suicides and set the province back for a generation. 

Never acknowledged or rectified, this malicious act stands as a reminder of the colonial attitude towards Alberta, and what happens when the political power class of the East turns, with intent, against the West. "

9 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I knew you would come in and spout off this NEP stuff but it's just stupid every time you do the NEP is nothing that is being discussed today having a pipeline to the ocean is not the NEP

So...you DIDN'T read the Buffalo declaration at all then did you?

Having a pipeline to the ocean WAS in fact part of the original NEP.  BC, Churchill, St Lawrence Seaway and New Brunswick were all slated to have shipping ports for Canadian oil but don't let that dissuade you from having an opinion :) 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

More stupidity this project requires the federal government approving it. The government will not approve it based on what the company may or may not do the government has to approve it and then the company decides what they may or may not do. But you keep posting this as your way of Defending Trudeau if he doesn't approve it.

Uh huh.

So...I guess CEO Lindsay saying that they need 3 items

A Pipeline

A Partner

The Price

For it to go ahead, and even with federal approval they might not go ahead due to the current market.  That's not a defense of Trudeau.  That's a FACT.  This was literally stated 30 pages ago ad nauseam when he came out and told investors that even with approval he might not go ahead after Fort Hills took a beating due to depressed prices.  But ya, you go ahead and blame everyone but the facts and whine about people defending trudeau by simply stating facts because it helps you feel safe

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-frontier-oil-sands-mine-may-not-get-built-even-with-federal-approval/

Edited by Warhippy

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Teck CEO Lindsay already stated the main reason this project would not go ahead was market forces.

Rest assured, this will be blamed on Trudeau.  Liberals.  NDP.  Environmentalists.  But never on the bare facts

yep

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/article-teck-resources-says-it-faces-11-billion-hit-on-frontier-oil-sands/

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Teck Resources Ltd. says it would be forced to take a write down of $1.1-billion on the Frontier oil sands project if the federal government doesn’t approve it.

Teck CEO Don Lindsay told a CIBC investor conference in Banff, Alta., the company may not move ahead on the massive Frontier oils sands mine even if it receives pending government approval, because of weak energy prices, daunting development costs and lack of the pipeline capacity needed to get its crude oil to refineries. Mr. Lindsay said: “We’ve told the government that for it to be developed, we need three Ps: The first is the pipeline has to be finished, not just started, finished. We need a partner. We need price.”

While Vancouver-based Teck has consistently said Frontier will only go ahead if the economics of the project make sense, the fact that Mr. Lindsay openly expressed concerns ahead of a federal Liberal government decision on the mine that was expected by the end of February raises the political stakes.

No clue what hippie or Destroyer are talking about again I will say it a pipeline to the ocean was not the NEP the NEP was Far bigger than just that. I'm puzzled why you choose to not understand that so instead you say I didn't read it right okay. Maybe you two just don't really know what you're talking about and hippie you going on about what the CEO said again is irrelevant the project needs federal government approval before it can even be considered so it doesn't matter what he said what matters is the approval from the federal government. So if it's not approved all you are doing is trying to make an excuse for why it wasn't approved and blame it on the company. I don't understand why you have trouble not understanding that fact or maybe you're just playing politics with this and want a way to defend Trudeau but at the end of the day it needs federal government approval so what the CEO says is irrelevant

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

yes, replied to you first.

You're right, they are also saying current market might squash this even with fed approval. 

Teck refuses to release a break even for frontier.

But they gauge it on fort hills and the estimate is close to $70 per barrel.

Canadian prices barely bump the dollar a week mark lately for increases.  It's not a good look.

But of course, again...it's someone's fault and that someone needs a name because you can't blame the facts

Screenshot_20200221-100836.png

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Potter clue what hippie or Destroyer are talking about again I will say it a pipeline to the ocean was not the NEP the NEP was Far bigger than just that. I'm puzzled why you choose to not understand that so instead you say I didn't read it right okay. Maybe you two just don't really know what you're talking about and hippie you going on about what the CEO said again is irrelevant the project needs federal government approval before it can even be considered so it doesn't matter what he said what matters is the approval from the federal government. So if it's not approved all you are doing is trying to make an excuse for why it wasn't approved and blame it on the company. I don't understand why you have trouble not understanding that fact or maybe you're just playing politics with this and want a way to defend Trudeau but at the end of the day it needs federal government approval so what the CEO says is irrelevant

Tell that to TECKs stock index 

Then accuse me of defending Trudeau for pointing that out.

But also pretend you didn't vote for Scheer.  Kenney.  Harper.  Right?

As for the NEP.  Yes IT WAS bigger than that.  But instead of working within the nation Alberta decided to work outside of it.  Ironically now whining about issues the NEP would have absolutely addressed.  From pipelines to ports.  But that simple irrefutable fact is lost on you because you need to be angry and you cannot accept that current issues are due to seeds planted 35+ years ago

Edited by Warhippy

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Tell that to TECKs stock index 

Then accuse me of defending Trudeau for pointing that out.

But also pretend you didn't vote for Scheer.  Kenney.  Harper.  Right?

trying to explain this to you gives me such a headache it's so annoying that you cannot understand this for you deliberately do this to try and defend the Liberals and play your politics the government has to approve or not approve the project that is the point not whether the project goes ahead. Is not what the government takes into account when considering this project do you understand not or no? Because if you don't understand it there is no point for us to carry on

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

trying to explain this to you gives me such a headache it's so annoying that you cannot understand this for you deliberately do this to try and defend the Liberals and play your politics the government has to approve or not approve the project that is the point not whether the project goes ahead. Is not what the government takes into account when considering this project do you understand not or no? Because if you don't understand it there is no point for us to carry on

As stated.

Even with approval.  Teck might not go ahead.

If approval happens and Teck opts not to build.  Who will you blame that on?  Don't even pretend you'll accept it as a business decision.  

Just now, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Nope, its going to be JT's fault. 

Has to be.

Teck ceo made two concise statements

It needs to be approved

Even with approval we need 3 Ps

Pipeline

Price

Partner

Well.  Lines being built.

So.....

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

As stated.

Even with approval.  Teck might not go ahead.

If approval happens and Teck opts not to build.  Who will you blame that on?  Don't even pretend you'll accept it as a business decision.  

of course I wouldn't blame it on the government. But this is all you have hypotheticals I just want you to admit what you are saying is misleading and flat-out wrong the approval is required by the federal government whether or not the company goes through with the project is not part of the approval process so what you keep making excuses for is stupid what you said there is all right but again you're using hypotheticals no I will not blame the government if the company decides not to build

obviously this prime minister and this government should promote Canadian energy but they don't which is strange every other major energy producer their governments promote it all the time however that being said that wouldn't change market prices so this government has a lot of flaws and a lot of issues and certainly is not behind the energy industry but even them full on supporting the energy industry where in the hats and the sweaters if you will will not change market price

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

of course I wouldn't blame it on the government. But this is all you have hypotheticals I just want you to admit what you are saying is misleading and flat-out wrong the approval is required by the federal government whether or not the company goes through with the project is not part of the approval process so what you keep making excuses for is stupid what you said there is all right but again you're using hypotheticals no I will not blame the government if the company decides not to build

obviously this prime minister and this government should promote Canadian energy but they don't which is strange every other major energy producer their governments promote it all the time however that being said that wouldn't change market prices so this government has a lot of flaws and a lot of issues and certainly is not behind the energy industry but even them full on supporting the energy industry where in the hats and the sweaters if you will will not change market price

nothing says non-support for something like buying it 

lol

• Upvote 2