The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just curious on the percentages. I was under the impression the light stuff was a pretty small part of the big picture. 

It is but honestly some people not familiar with Alberta think it's all Fort McMurray. Drayton valley has lots of light sweet crude as does southern Alberta but the tar sands are the engine of Alberta. 

10 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

It is but honestly some people not familiar with Alberta think it's all Fort McMurray. Drayton valley has lots of light sweet crude as does southern Alberta but the tar sands are the DIRTY POLLUTING TOXIC  engine of Alberta. 

Fixed it for you.

• Haha 1

Canada is not broken

Scott Gilmore: Despite our flaws and constant challenges, we live in what is arguably among the least broken countries in human history

Here is the National Post’s headline this morning: “‘Canada is broken’ says majority of Canadians”. It is the lead story and it goes on to explain that a poll by DART & Maru/Blue (a brand name that sort of just rolls off the tongue) found that 59  per cent of Canadians believe the country is not headed in the right direction. And, 69 per cent believe the country is “broken”.

Another way of describing that poll result could be, “Over two thirds of Canadians have no idea the country has never had it so good”.

Just a few weeks ago, the US News & World report named Canada as the second best country in the world. The annual survey tabulated a variety of factors, including overall quality of life—where Canada was ranked first.

They are not alone. The OECD’s “Better Life Index” also ranks Canada as one of the best countries in the world for well-being. Their data finds us doing especially well in terms of life satisfaction, health and economics.

Speaking of jobs, the right wing Heritage Foundation in Washington continually ranks Canada as having one of the most free economies in the world, citing our government integrity, low taxation levels and fiscal health.

Why? Probably because it is so easy to start and run a business in Canada. The World Bank’s annual Doing Business rankings find that our low level of regulations, lack of corruption, and access to finance (among other things), make this country the third best in the world for entrepreneurs who want to launch a new company.

READ MORE: Happy that Alberta’s oil-fuelled party is over? Think again.

That lack of corruption might have something to do with our stable political environment. How stable? The Economist Intelligence Unit ranks Canada as one of the most democratic countries on earth. They rank us far above the United States and most of Europe.

Press freedom? Reporters Without Borders ranks us among the best. The Canadian Brand? Some indexes rank us as number five in the world. Others say we are number one. Global competitiveness? Doing great. Overall happiness? We are among the top 10 again this year.

“Yeah, but…” I hear you stutter. “Come to Alberta and argue that!” you say. Alberta? The province that continues to enjoy the highest GDP per capita in the country? In a country that enjoys one of the highest GDP per capita rankings in the world?

“Our health care system is broken!” you shout. Sure. Which is why our life expectancy is one of the highest in the world, better than the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany and Ireland.

“But the Liberals are terrible!” You have a point. And, because this is one of the healthiest  democracies in the world, soon there will be a free and fair election and you can toss them out so they can be replaced by the Conservatives who will then be terrible in an entirely different way.

“The blockades!” You mean the democratic demonstrations that are being peacefully managed by our professional (and accountable) police forces?

“Our First Nations!” Yes, we need reconciliation, a new social compact with Indigenous Canadians, better infrastructure in the north, and a solution to a dozen other critical shortcomings. And, we as a nation are trying to find those solutions. We get it wrong, we stumble, we often don’t try nearly as hard as we should. But we try. Every government provincially and federally (even the ones you hate) sincerely sees this is a problem and is working peacefully towards a solution. Compare that to any other time in our history, or any other country in the world that faces similar problems.

This country is not broken. It is arguably among the least broken countries in human history. It seems like a paradox, but we continually fail and falter our way to success.  We bumble along, doing everything wrong from military procurement to hockey. Our Premiers will not talk to our Prime Ministers, our economies crash and boom. Our politicians are idiots, corrupt and clueless. The media is fake. The French can’t stand the English. We’re racist and sexist. It’s too cold.

And yet—here we are. Doing pretty damn well. Better than well, actually. Incredibly, we’re doing fantastic. And the most incredible thing of all is that most of us have no idea.

So, do this. Get off the internet. Go outside. Take a look around. Talk to your neighbour. Breathe the air. Pause for a moment to actually consider how well we are doing. And then, after you’ve taken a deep breath, appreciate the fact that while we can do so much better, what we already have is pretty damn good. And appreciate it.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/canada-is-not-broken/

Damn straight. Some people need a good dose of perspective. :gocan:

Edited by Lockout Casualty
  • Like 1

This will the a Supreme Court decision that the Wexit crowd should be watching.  The decision will apply to all of Canada since 

Saskatchewan and Ontario ruled in favour if the Federal government. 

CBC link

See you at the Supreme Court, Ottawa says after Alberta demands carbon tax be killed

Federal justice minister notes that Alberta appeal court's opinion is non-binding

50 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

This will the a Supreme Court decision that the Wexit crowd should be watching.  The decision will apply to all of Canada since 

Saskatchewan and Ontario ruled in favour if the Federal government. 

CBC link

See you at the Supreme Court, Ottawa says after Alberta demands carbon tax be killed

Federal justice minister notes that Alberta appeal court's opinion is non-binding

This has nothing to do with wexit. The UCP campaigned against a carbon tax.

Edited by Ryan Strome

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 7:40 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No that’s not just for an elite few, that’s for anyone who brings value to society.  Anyone that is able to fill a supply that has a demand. 

Nothing is stopping anyone from remaining at a job, Nothing.  Every single person has the freedom to make that choice and almost every single person has the freedom to improve their own skill set to improve their value in society. The helps society grow and now just become stagnant and complacent. 

instead of actually making smart choices in life, people have now resorted to blaming others for their wo’s. There’s only a select few that are valid in their calls for help and society should do a better job at supporting them but again that’s a select few.

This is not me being out of touch, this is me sharing life lessons that people need to understand, I donate 10% to charities, I volunteer at non profit, my wife was raised by a single mother and grew up living between low income housing and a fly in native reserve. I understand poverty and I also understand that’s its not easy break when you become relient on the handout of others. 

So let me see...you are saying no one working burger world or cleans rooms at the local motel brings any value to society. Is a CEO making 300 times the bottom worker 300 times more valuable to society? Is he 300 times smarter? NOT. I take it back about you being on a high horse. It appears your head is up the north end of a south bound horse.

7 minutes ago, spur1 said:

So let me see...you are saying no one working burger world or cleans rooms at the local motel brings any value to society.

I'm saying the value they bring to society is very low.  Their skill set is easily replaceable, you can't seem to grasp and concept of how supply and demand works.  This is basic understanding. 

7 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Is a CEO making 300 times the bottom worker 300 times more valuable to society?

YES.  1000 over yes and this is where you show your lack of understanding.  There's a reason why CEO get to where they are and they don't just hire unqualified bums of the street.   The problem, you're projecting your own understanding and you have zero idea of the sacrifice and hard work it takes to become a CEO of a major company.  You compare flipping a burger stress, to managing a company with over 10k people, where one decision could cost everyone their jobs and destroy the incomes their families count on to survive.   How many people depend on the bottom persons decision to survive?  At most his/her immediate family.  Where as, thousands of people depend on that CEO's decisions.  

Since you clearly don't have any concept on understanding that i'll try to explain it in a viewpoint for you.  The average ECHL player makes 550/week or 28,600 a year (it's technically even less since they don't get paid for summer months).  Now Connor Mcdavid makes over 425 times more than that player.  Are you going to tell me that you don't believe McDavid doesn't bring over 300x more value than your average ECHL player?  How many jerseys and ticket sales are those ECHL players generating?  Exactly..  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm saying the value they bring to society is very low.  Their skill set is easily replaceable, you can't seem to grasp and concept of how supply and demand works.  This is basic understanding. 

YES.  1000 over yes and this is where you show your lack of understanding.  There's a reason why CEO get to where they are and they don't just hire unqualified bums of the street.   The problem, you're projecting your own understanding and you have zero idea of the sacrifice and hard work it takes to become a CEO of a major company.  You compare flipping a burger stress, to managing a company with over 10k people, where one decision could cost everyone their jobs and destroy the incomes their families count on to survive.   How many people depend on the bottom persons decision to survive?  At most his/her immediate family.  Where as, thousands of people depend on that CEO's decisions.  

Since you clearly don't have any concept on understanding that i'll try to explain it in a viewpoint for you.  The average ECHL player makes 550/week or 28,600 a year (it's technically even less since they don't get paid for summer months).  Now Connor Mcdavid makes over 425 times more than that player.  Are you going to tell me that you don't believe McDavid doesn't bring over 300x more value than your average ECHL player?  How many jerseys and ticket sales are those ECHL players generating?  Exactly..  

Lol I understand perfectly. I worked in their system for years and have met and tipped a few with hockey players, a couple CEO’s and even a premier. 
I can assure you none of them were worth what they were getting paid. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Lol I understand perfectly. I worked in their system for years and have met and tipped a few with hockey players, a couple CEO’s and even a premier. 

you get what you negotiate, not what you deserve 

6 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Hmm I guess the voters in Ontario and Saskatchewan are uneducated as well. You can add Quebec to that also, they oppose a carbon tax.

Sounds like Canada has quite the problem with too many climate change deniers.... Do you think this is reflective of a sub par educational system ?

It is important to  understand Science....

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't get it, are we supposed to be mad at Quebec or Atlantic Canada?

Both.B)

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sounds like Canada has quite the problem with too many climate change deniers.... Do you think this is reflective of a sub par educational system ?

It is important to  understand Science....

:lol:

4 hours ago, spur1 said:

Lol I understand perfectly. I worked in their system for years

Yeah just because you’ve worked doesn’t mean you understand it. 

and have met and tipped a few with hockey players, a couple CEO’s and even a premier. 

haha wow you met a few hockey players, cool story, must feel special. 

You’ve made that conclusion all based on having an interaction with them? :picard:

...you clearly don’t understand how supply and demand works. Let me let you in on a little secret. Typically half of a CEO’s salaries is made up from stock options, hence they only make a lot when they are able to make the company a lot. In other words they have to prove their value. But you’ve met one before so you must know best. Hahaha, yeah there’s no debate here. All you have is the opinion you’ve came to based on your experiences in your own little bubble. And you say I have my head in the horses rear end. 

if your looking for a good laugh that will also help put this into perspective. Boom

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Cheers 1