The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Alberta just announced they are closing, partially closing or handing over control to "3rd party management" of dozens of parks in Alberta due to cuts.

But at the same time has pledged to increase tourism funding to nearly $20 billion by 2030.

Congrats on the onward privatization

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/20-alberta-parks-to-be-partially-or-fully-closed-after-government-review-1.4836740

20 billion thats alot of money into tourism

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Don't they all have pay parking now?

Did AB try that before shutting theirs down?

Dont think i ever went to a park in alberta with pay parking only banff in town has pay parking.

4 minutes ago, Violator said:

Dont think i ever went to a park in alberta with pay parking only banff in town has pay parking.

It sucks. 

Though I just googled it and it seems they removed it from BC parks a while ago. Well not Stanley Park etc...but I don't know how that works, probably a municipality thing. 

We have lots of property in the fam on the island so I don't go to the parks much, but i do remember when they were trying that racket. 

33 minutes ago, Violator said:

20 billion thats alot of money into tourism

Especially when over 160 total parks will be in private control.  Essentially advertising for private business.

But that $30 million war room sure is paying dividends.

Oh, did you hear, fire depts also had their grants cut too.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Please show me how much tourism Alberta generates per year to their parks.  As well as soon offs for hotels, restaurants etc

Why? That's not my point. 

Parks can generate income either directly or indirectly. But that's not why they exist. 

5 minutes ago, inane said:

Why? That's not my point. 

Parks can generate income either directly or indirectly. But that's not why they exist. 

I'm aware of why they exist and so are you.  But to claim parks don't generate revenue is not totally accurate

Tell me, do you fear losing provincial park land to private control?  Do you believe this is the start of large land transfers to private hands?

Edited by Warhippy

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Especially when over 160 total parks will be in private control.  Essentially advertising for private business.

But that $30 million war room sure is paying dividends.

Oh, did you hear, fire depts also had their grants cut too.

Kenny is a &^@#en piece of $&!# moron still cant stand him after the tfw fiasco a few years ago.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm aware of why they exist and so are you.  But to claim parks don't generate revenue is not totally accurate

Tell me, do you fear losing provincial park land to private control?  Do you believe this is the start of large land transfers to private hands?

Who ever said that? Show me where I did? In fact, the text you quoted from me

Parks can generate income either directly or indirectly.

So...I literally said, in the post you're quoting, the thing you're saying I didn't say?

6 minutes ago, inane said:

Who ever said that? Show me where I did? In fact, the text you quoted from me

So...I literally said, in the post you're quoting, the thing you're saying I didn't say?

Your initial claim was that parks don't exist to make money.  Yet that's their secondary purpose.

Your second post was the clarifying post.  As I said, not totally accurate.

You can argue to argue if you'd like.  I've twenty minutes free.  But their first purpose is land protection, their secondary is in fact potentially revenue.

Over 150 provincial parks today closed, shuttered or given over to private hands.  Plus fire depts having provincial monies clawed back.  Bracket creep occurring openly.  

It's kind of shocking really when you realize why that money is gone and seeing things like the war room being created instead

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Your initial claim was that parks don't exist to make money.  Yet that's their secondary purpose.

You can argue to argue if you'd like.  I've twenty minutes free.  But their first purpose is land protection, their secondary is in fact potentially revenue.

Over 150 provincial parks today closed, shuttered or given over to private hands.  Plus fire depts having provincial monies clawed back.  Bracket creep occurring openly.  

It's kind of shocking really when you realize why that money is gone and seeing things like the war room being created instead

I literally said the thing you're saying I didn't say but i'm arguing? lol

You're extrapolating all sorts of arguments from my simple initial statement, that you apparently agree with, that parks don't exist to make money. So, seems you're arguing to agree with me here... 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, inane said:

You're extrapolating all sorts of arguments from my simple initial statement, that you apparently agree with, that parks don't exist to make money. So, seems you're arguing to agree with me here... 

Possibly?  It kinda seems like a circular agreement with extra steps doesn't it?

The meat of my argument is that privatization of park space is a very slippery slope.  Knowing that the war room money could have gone to this is a slap in the face.  Knowing that tourism Alberta will double tourism marketing/investment over the next decade to effectively advertise for private business is even more head scratching.

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Possibly?  It kinda seems like a circular agreement with extra steps doesn't it?

The meat of my argument is that privatization of park space is a very slippery slope.  Knowing that the war room money could have gone to this is a slap in the face.  Knowing that tourism Alberta will double tourism marketing/investment over the next decade to effectively advertise for private business is even more head scratching.

Absolutely, privatization of public space is a terrible idea. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

No when you look at who Albertans voted in to power.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

They did privatization of parks years ago then brought it back under control of the government.

One of the places i used to go was run by a private company.it changed hands back to alberta parks and wasnt as good

• Wat 1

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Government sucks at running businesses. 

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Ya that war room is needed, considering all the misinformation people believe. 

5 hours ago, inane said:

They call him warhippy.