The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Hell, Campbell River there has rednecks that people would never believe exist in bc.

Quebec wasn't the only province that was VERY STRONGLY against implimenting conscription during WWII.  And it wasn't for the same reasons as Quebec.  No surprise the amount of people to the right of Genghis Khan still today.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think that part of it for us was the fact that we were gigging there at the time. In those days, the People Cabaret in CR and the Loft in Comox were two of the best gigs around.

Unfortunately, more often than not, we had to go to Port Hardy after we finished up in Campbell River....

I was 'fortunate' enough to have been to both Peoples and The Loft... the latter was a rough and very red neck place.  Peoples was the $&!#ty place to go when I turned 19 as another club had opened.  Ever play the Quinny?   Now that place was red neck as it gets ..

CR has changed a fair bit since those days as Peoples closed in like 1999. 

Hardy and McNeil make CR look cosmopolitan...

2 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I was 'fortunate' enough to have been to both Peoples and The Loft... the latter was a rough and very red neck place.  Peoples was the $&!#ty place to go when I turned 19 as another club had opened.  Ever play the Quinny?   Now that place was red neck as it gets ..

CR has changed a fair bit since those days as Peoples closed in like 1999. 

Hardy and McNeil make CR look cosmopolitan...

TBH, we never got the redneck vibe in the Loft, or People's. Plenty of "jock" types, though.

Never played the Quinny. Where was that?

53 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, we never got the redneck vibe in the Loft, or People's. Plenty of "jock" types, though.

Never played the Quinny. Where was that?

In CR in the older part of town. Was the towns oldest hotel until it was burnt down Ina n insurance job.  

The Loft went fully country for a bit there.  Peoples was really run down by my time there. Was a live music joint through the 80s and early 90s. By my time mostly top 40 garbage DJs 

40 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

In CR in the older part of town. Was the towns oldest hotel until it was burnt down Ina n insurance job.  

The Loft went fully country for a bit there.  Peoples was really run down by my time there. Was a live music joint through the 80s and early 90s. By my time mostly top 40 garbage DJs 

Yeah, I was there in the mid and late 80s....same with the Loft. I heard they eventually chopped the Loft into pieces and moved it to Courtney. Before that happened, we played a different gig in Courtney. Can't remember the name of the place, but there was a deck out in the back that overlooked a creek...

I think I kind of remember the Quinny....never played there, but I do remember hearing about another gig in town that was pretty rough.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not mincing words at all I see.  The healthcare fight in Alberta is now very very real. 

image.png.e95133ad2ef438b93f0f68b6a0ce8b39.png

I could be wrong but I thought it was like that in BC too?

If a clinic has reached it's max covered patients that they can claim per day, they don't get paid for treating any extra patients. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I could be wrong but I thought it was like that in BC too?

If a clinic has reached it's max covered patients that they can claim per day, they don't get paid for treating any extra patients. 

that is true, and it happens a lot. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not mincing words at all I see.  The healthcare fight in Alberta is now very very real. 

it really is. They are inevitably moving to more and more private care. They are looking at opening up a large private surgical centre to consolidate orthopaedic surgery, which on its own isnt a bad idea but I really doubt thats where it ends in AB. In a couple of years they will claim that they "need" to take on more expensive private clients in order to maintain service levels for everyone else. Thats my bet. 

5 hours ago, Robert Long said:

that is true, and it happens a lot. 

It's been an occurrence in BC for some time in rural communities but is incredibly rare.  This is new in Alberta and for rural areas and larger urban centres without hospitals or large medical centres it's an absolute slap in the face.

5 hours ago, Robert Long said:

it really is. They are inevitably moving to more and more private care. They are looking at opening up a large private surgical centre to consolidate orthopaedic surgery, which on its own isnt a bad idea but I really doubt thats where it ends in AB. In a couple of years they will claim that they "need" to take on more expensive private clients in order to maintain service levels for everyone else. Thats my bet. 

It actually gets worse and worse.

Healthcare

Education

Municipal budgets

Endless subsidization

And now..as was predicated.  Pensions

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/video/2020/08/07/its-really-sad-they-are-playing-with-peoples-retirement-cuts-to-alberta-pensions/?fbclid=IwAR3Txd5bvvCFzEylcXwZgu4bE2lTD0dSmNi32ribWZUa2yVDR3NmabS1OGE

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

It's been an occurrence in BC for some time in rural communities but is incredibly rare.  This is new in Alberta and for rural areas and larger urban centres without hospitals or large medical centres it's an absolute slap in the face.

It actually gets worse and worse.

Healthcare

Education

Municipal budgets

Endless subsidization

And now..as was predicated.  Pensions

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/video/2020/08/07/its-really-sad-they-are-playing-with-peoples-retirement-cuts-to-alberta-pensions/?fbclid=IwAR3Txd5bvvCFzEylcXwZgu4bE2lTD0dSmNi32ribWZUa2yVDR3NmabS1OGE

makes you wonder what it will take for things to change in AB doesn't it? 

• 2 weeks later...

Fiscal update is about to be released and Kenney has been doing damage control like a madman.

It's oil

It's covid

It's Ottawa

Its not our fault

But of course, under the previous Government...it was all their fault.

I love watching Kenney squirm.  I HATE that he's doing it while destroying Alberta to fuel his dreams of power

118428450_10164169221235693_1447626401257740109_n.jpg

44 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Fiscal update is about to be released and Kenney has been doing damage control like a madman.

It's oil

It's covid

It's Ottawa

Its not our fault

But of course, under the previous Government...it was all their fault.

I love watching Kenney squirm.  I HATE that he's doing it while destroying Alberta to fuel his dreams of power

118428450_10164169221235693_1447626401257740109_n.jpg

It was Notely with a candlestick in the library. 

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That's not hard to achieve.  Genghis Khan - in modern political terms - would fall somewhere between the Liberals and the Tories in Canada.  The only really harsh defining feature of his (politically) is his militarism.  By all accounts he was tolerant of other religions, letting them continue to preach to their followers, and aside from the occasional punitive wiping out of whole populations, he generally left the local governing infrastructure intact instead of eradicating them and installing his military governance, and chose to operate his government with a meritocracy.  Progressive for his times, even.

But anyways, I digress..... :lol:

#Khan2020?

star trek spock GIF

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That's not hard to achieve.  Genghis Khan - in modern political terms - would fall somewhere between the Liberals and the Tories in Canada.  The only really harsh defining feature of his (politically) is his militarism.  By all accounts he was tolerant of other religions, letting them continue to preach to their followers, and aside from the occasional punitive wiping out of whole populations, he generally left the local governing infrastructure intact instead of eradicating them and installing his military governance, and chose to operate his government with a meritocracy.  Progressive for his times, even.

But anyways, I digress..... :lol:

' In a technical sense Khan had an active outdoor lifestyle"   George Carlin

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Not the same as Wexit but I wonder if the current protests rocking the states can reignite some of the cascadia secession talks.

It's been a while, but in the past there has been discussion about BC joining with Washington, Oregon and Cali....We really have more in common with them than we do our closest Canadian neighbors.

We'll take Hawaii too, if they're interested. ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1